downloading GPS tracks to android as a file?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by agnieszka, Jul 11, 2016.

1. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Central Coast, NSW Australia
    Agnieszka
    Hi,

so i have an external gps logger model BTGP-38KM. i use it on trips especially where there are no 'roads', such as bush-walking and horse-riding, to record where i've been then match up the track locations to photos.

on windows this is easy using GPSbabel to download the tracks as files, however i was wondering if anyone knew a way to do this with android. the GPS model i have only connects via bluetooth (has a cable for charging, but it does not transfer data) and only holds a few days' worth of data at a time (if i leave it on all day) before going back and overwriting the earliest GPS data. i wish to use the unit for an upcoming 5-week trip.

it's difficult to search google on this as every search result refers to using an external GPS linked to android for real-time usage. i don't want that as it will drain my phone battery, i want to record on the GPS unit, then download to my android as a file. There seems to not be a GPSbabel alternative for android that can do it?

i plan on having my android turned off during the day, turning it back on at night for backing up photos (using ES file explorer app) and GPS data (??), and being an alarm for the morning (which can be done in airplane mode to save battery) then also for calling home (which i will do via facebook messenger/hotel wifi where possible). FYI my phone is samsung galaxy s4 i9505, running stock android 5.0.1, if that makes any difference to anyone.

thanks for any advice.

2. Balinov

Balinov Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2015
    Dublin
    Balazs
    Hi agnieszka, based on the product description on DX.com your GPS tracker supports Serial Port Profile (SPP) file transfer. Not having such device myself, so I can't verify, but I'd say and android BT transfer tool might work (example). . you may need to tyr different apps to find one that works from the tracker to Droid, and not just the other way around

• Like Like x 1
  3. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Agnieszka
    awesome, thanks i'll try a few SPP transfer apps. i also found this track downloading app (GPS Device Toolbox) but now i've now run into another issue of the device not being able to maintain a bluetooth connection (used to always connect with PC, which it no longer does, so i know it's not a phone issue) so i've had to order a new unit. when that arrives i'll continue the investigation!

4. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Agnieszka
    Sorry, no iThings here. But that's very good information for people to know. It turns out my bluetooth unit fails to connect anymore so i have ordered a new one, due to arrive on Tuesday. I figure it will come with the same downloading challenge, so will update here when(if?) i figure it out (for android). :)

5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I just looked and the one I have is no longer for sale. Bummer. Mine logs to standard text files in the NMEA format and when you hook it up to a computer it simply appears like a 128MB thumbdrive with all your log files. It is then an easy task to move them to your computer or in your case onto your phone.

While mobile phones are taking over this task for most people, I am still kind of mystified that over the past 5+ years there really hasn't been much development or new models of stand alone GPS data loggers. I would still think they would be in heavy demand for things like hikers, boaters, etc. especially when logging for long periods of time and where there might not be service for a phone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Agnieszka
    out of curiosity, what brand/model do you have.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
  8. agnieszka

agnieszka Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Agnieszka
    New unit arrived last night. Now i have two bluetooth units that won't connect *bangs head on desk*. I am now suspecting my bluetooth drivers on the PC. Even if i get that working not sure how i'm going to fix the android. Maybe i'll try cyanogenmod, but sooooo don't have time to be mucking around with this!! Should have bought the gps unit with the cable that was 3x as expensive. *sigh*.