Downgrading within μ4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by voltcontrol, May 15, 2013.

1. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Who has downgraded within the μ4/3 system? And from what to what?

I am considering to go from a G3 to a GF3 because it offers even better portability, does everything I need in terms of functionality and the swap will get some budget for better lenses. I was afraid that the step back in sensor resolution would be noticable, but I think I wil not not notive most of the time.

I'm looking forward to your experience with- or thoughts on the subject.
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There's more to the step from a 16MP to a 12MP sensor than 'just' the loss of 4MP. The latest gen 16MP are the first I consider to be of acceptable quality - I have a GF2, and while the handling is only OK, the IQ is marginal at best for my preferences.

Also, swapping from a G3 to a GF3 is unlikely to net you a significant amount of spending money in real-world terms. Both are relatively old, not very expensive cameras.
  3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    The GF3 has a nice sensor, but I found it to be just a little lacking when I had it. If you like the body style, you'd probably better off picking up a GX1, I see the body for $249 or less all the time.
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm in the same place as Mattia. I really like the output of my E-Pl5, especially in low light, and I hardly use my E-PM1 anymore despite how much I like size.
  5. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I didn't sell my E-PL5, but I bought an E-PL1 for relatively little money and ended up so far, probably getting more use out of it; mostly because I'm less protective of it. I also find the controls easier to deal with (fewer of them, and less fiddly).
  6. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    Hmmm, you guys are talking me out of it aren't you.. ;)

I'm curious to learn what the step up in IQ from the 12mp to the 16mp generation is exactly, I have perhaps (honestly) missed certain aspects of it?
  7. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    The only thing I really notice about the difference between mine is that the E-PL5 can give fairly clean images at ISO 3200, where the E-PL1 is looking sad by ISO 1600. Two stops of light ability is the* difference between a fast lens and a cheap one, so there is that.

*one of the.
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    In short, the 16MP bodies have:
    - Better high ISO
    - More pixels (duh)
    - Greater dynamic range (less clipped highlights/more easily recovered shadows and highlights when shooting RAW)
  9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I suggest considering the GX1 as an option.
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In many respects, my move from GH2 to E-P3 was a "downgrade", but I really enjoyed both cameras, and the switch ended up being a good one for me despite the worse sensor. "Downgrading" from the E-M5 to the E-PM2 also ended up being a good move for me.

I agree with the suggestions above, though. At current prices, the GX1 is a better buy than GF series IMO.
  11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    The G3 is already very small (too small for many), going to GF3 won't save you much space or money.

You will loose a great EVF, flip screen, and better sensor. All for what?
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When the Pen Mini first came out I picked up a couple of them and immediately started building kits around these new small bodies. :)

As far as the G3 and GF3, they may both do all the things you need in terms of functionality but for me the GF3 is lacking in everything I need. No usable flash compatibility, no EVF compatibility, complete reliance on a touchscreen menu... I've used them and there is no way I would ever buy one. That's me though... it's one of the only :43: cameras which doesn't do what I need from a camera.
  13. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I went from a G2 to a GF3(well at first it was a supplementary camera, but now my only m4/3 camera) and that in some ways is a downgrade(miss the articulating display more than the evf for the way I use the GF3).

I would agree, the GX1 would be a better choice as it offers more for about the same price. The only advantage the GF3 has is cheaper underwater housing options, and is lighter, which is a bonus when in a jacket pocket.
  14. voltcontrol

Apr 26, 2013
    Wow, this question has conjured up quite some replies so far.

I want to really thank you guys. After considering all of your advice and tring both the GF, GX and a couple of otfer options in camera shops I am keeping the G3.
  15. fspeur

fspeur Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Two months ago I came across a good deal on an E-PL3 and decided it was the right time for a second body (I already have an E-PL1). I especially like the tilting screen on the E-PL3. Here comes the downgrade: it came with the old 17mm f2.8 lens (total price: $346 Cdn. including tax). I can't really afford a second camera, so in order to finance most of my purchase I sold my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens for $300. So far, no regrets. Mind you, I'm not a pro or anything and I have no problem boosting the ISO for low light from 800 to 1600 or 3200 with this lens. A bit more noise? No big deal. The lens is also quite sharp. Maybe my standards are lower than others', but there you go. Flickr: speur's Photostream