1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Double lens carrying device

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Starfleet, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    It is a cool idea but I can't imagine how I would use it in practice. I usually have my camera on a cross-body strap in a situation where I would be carrying multiple lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    I have been using the flipped lens caps trick to carry small lenses in my bags more efficiently, but of this I like the fact that there are locks.

5. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    I haven't tried that, what are the advantages over stacking them in the bag normally?

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    they simply do not move, hitting each other. And when you need to get the one at the bottom, you just pull the two out together, as one piece. Personally, I find that method faster and with less risks to accidentally drop one of the lenses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Your link was broken, but I imagine you were looking at the OpTech Lens Mount Cap dual? I thought it was a little pricey too, but they make it to fit tightly and with an o-ring seal to keep out dust. People have been making their own by gluing two rear caps back to back, so that's an alternative.

8. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Here is the link: GoWing Lens Flipper for Micro Four Thirds Mount 809416750040 B&H

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I glued a couple of rear caps together. Works great, although removing and swapping lenses whilst holding a camera takes a little extra dexterity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Ah, now I see. This is considerably more than the OpTech one, but the GoWing is made to be worn with a strap. I was thinking more of stacking lenses in a bag. I could see that it'd float some people's boats, but I might prefer something like LowePro's Len Exchange Case instead for quick swapping lenses.
    Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange Case 100 AW (Black) LP36446 B&H

Let's say you're carrying a camera with one lens mounted, and two lenses on the Lens Flipper. When you remove the lens from the camera to replace with one from the Lens Flipper, where do you put that lens? Or would you keep one side of the Lens Flipper empty to receive the dismounted lens, and then take the other lens off to put on the camera. You'd probably need a body cap to cover the open mount. Jus' trying to visualize how this would work.

11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yes, I find that I need a vacant space somewhere to put the dismounted lens while I get the other lens out to mount. I just don't have enough hands. I've sometimes stuffed lenses in a pocket while doing the juggling, but this is not satisfactory. This may be when cargo pockets become a necessity. Or a lens exchange case as I linked above.

12. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    I attach them using velcro, so I can separate them if I need to. Still, the lack of locks sometimes makes me fear one of the two lenses might have got loose while in the bag, with the risk of dropping it when I try to get it out.

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Iirc, as of last week, B&H is selling a pre-made pair of back-to-back caps for around $15.
    I've already glued a pair of Oly caps so I passed.

14. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    My thought was to buy some contactless extension tubes and superglue them backwards. Would certainly be cheaper and has locks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  16. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I think the idea behind these is you normally are out with a camera and TWO lenses (not three). So the lens holder would have a single lens attached (leaving one side empty) and the other on your camera. When you want to swap lenses, the one comes off the body and onto the empty position of the lens holder, then the other lens comes off the lens holder and onto your body. So you don't have to put a lens down or dig into a bag or that sort of thing.

The Peak Design video above shows how it works with a rigid holder so you can do it one handed. The problem with the one first discussed in this thread is that it is a strap based holder so you will still require both hands to mount or un-mount a lens. But if your camera is on a strap as well, you can take the lens off the camera, let the camera dangle, use both hands to swap the lenses on the holder, then go back to the camera to attach the new lens.

At any rate, I think these products are meant for lens handling "in the field" rather than simply being able to stack them in a bag.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  17. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Ordered one. Quality is garbage. Do not recommend.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm known to be a pessimist, but I don't see how this improves upon a small camera bag worn at the hip.

20. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Or a lens exchange case.