Dottie.

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Will Karstens, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
  2. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I was going to say it's ever so slightly soft, but then noticed the shutter speed of 1/30th sec (exif data on the Flickr image). Nicely done ;)

3. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Do you think if I had shifted to spot focus on the nose, and run a more parallel line of focus along the bridge of the nose, perhaps it would have come out a bit better?

This would, of course, entail Dottie holding still...

4. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Well, chances of Dottie sitting still is probably remote. Further to the fact that spotting her nose first and moving forward to the level of her eye would likely have given a similar result, as her left eye looks like it may have been marginally further back than her right. Another words, she wasn't full on facing you.

Dogs are notoriously difficult to photograph with paper thin depth of field, although good results are definitely worth the effort and frustrations!
    One potential route would be to use continuous focus and spot the eye, firing a few shots.
    Dottie will likely react to the shutter being actuated, so subsequent images may have an interested Dottie, or possibly the reverse.

5. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Thanks Michael. I'm learning this new lens (and learning in general), your insight is very helpful!

Very respectfully,
    William Karstens

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Cute dog

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Incidentally, she looks a stunner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
  9. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Bichon Frise?

10. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Michael,
    He's a Lhasa Ahpsa. That's Latin for Mop - with no handle. Pet photography isn't much of a draw, but they're a challenge to line up and learn the camera with. So, it will probably be a default to a few photos learning how the G7 works.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    For me, this would have been a manual focus shot. Once the focus was close to what I wanted, I would fine tune by moving the camera, following any small movements of the dog as well. I am shooting a GX7 which has excellent focus peaking. I'd expect the (newer) G7 to have good peaking as well though I'm not hampered by any experience with that camera.

Sometimes it's easier to just do what we want rather than fiddling with the automatic stuff, trying to coax it into doing what we want.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I'm assuming you mean it's not much of a daw for you personally, as a photographer.
    Here, it's a big draw for clients. So much so, we had set up a separate Facebook page for it, and we can have one or two pet specific shoots a week. They have to be slotted in around our main commercial work, and at the moment we aren't doing anything by way of advertising, other than putting the odd image on facebook.

If I ever get on top of the list of various web associated tasks I have lined up, I will sort a pet specific entry on the portraits site, and start to push it, just to see where it goes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    A great perspective! Which lens are you using Will? Kit lens?
    I'm no pet photo expert, but from my limited experience I would normally just follow them around shooting bursts. You are bound to get a keeper that way right? Haha.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1