Dot Sights

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, Feb 10, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I finally received the dot sight I bought off eBay and overall I'm pretty happy with the quality and build of the sight, not bad at all for $25. There was certainly some modifications required to get it to mount the way I wanted, but it wasn't all that difficult in the end.

This is what it looks like at the moment:

sight07.

sight06.

sight05.

If you want to find out about the trials and tribulations, you can read it here: http://australianimage.com.au/wordpress/?p=4272 and there is still more to come.

• Like Like x 6
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Whoa! That's a cool setup - sweet!

3. jaydubstar

jaydubstar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Jayme
    it's like skeet shooting for photographers, haha

4. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    How does this work if the "target" is 10 meters or 100meters away?

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    These sights usually have no magnification, or very low, e.g. 1.5x.

A small, far away subject could be an issue.

Barry

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    But why?

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's the only issue with these dot sights, you set them for the FL that you're using. With my 90-250mm zoom, for example, if I set the sight for when the zoom is at 250mm it's perfect, but if I go to 90mm and don't re-adjust, the lens won't be seeing at the same spot the sight is seeing. Also, as the target gets closer, a similar error will occur. It's not a perfect solution, but it makes a hell of a difference when you're trying to track subjects at a distance and the movements are erratic.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Surprisingly, small, distant, subjects don't pose a problem.

9. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I was thinking more about the aim of the sight.
    If you have the target close, like 2m infront of the lens, it would have to be adjusted (in height) compared to if it´s 100m away, or is the difference so little it doesnt matter?

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, you have to adjust the sight and it's not a quick process, so using one of these sights is best for when you know the subjects will be at a distance and stay that way. But what these sights do is allow you to target the subject very quickly and stay on target while enabling you to see what's happening around you. All of this is also subject to the quality of your tracking focus, as you'll be relying on that as you watch the sight. In the example of the eagles in my blog, having this sight would have enabled me to track them easily, as I would have had a full view of the sky and the reticule in view all the time.

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Anybody who has failed miserably at shooting fast flying birds in the air because they couldn't even find the bird in the view finder in the first place or lost it immediately after the first frame will get how this works.

• Like Like x 2
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Another way to look at this is to think about those who are into astronomy and photographing deep sky objects, or even planets. Telescopes have too narrow a field of view to enable you to easily find you subject using just the telescoep, so astrophotographers use a spotting scope, with a wider field of view and aligned with their main telescope, to find the object they wish to study. A dot sight is very similar to this concept.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I use one very similar to this on my William Optics telescope, it's much easier than using a standard finder scope for a smaller telescope.

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Ahhh ...

I expect that this will also work better with MF too then ...

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    To answer the question as to how well the dot sight work with other lenses and focal lengths, very well indeed. I completely redesigned the mount this morning and it's now firm and snug in the hot shoe and, after another alignment, I tried it out with my 35-100mm f2 and 14-35mm f2 and the images are exactly where I focussed. The redesigned mount looks much like then Mk III, but it's a much better fit and allows for no movement.

• Like Like x 1