Dortmund or Bayern?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BigTam, May 24, 2013.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    What's your tip? My profile has a clue to mine :)

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Heart wants Dortmund.
    Head says Bayern.

(Terrible news about Goetze)

3. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    It's very "strange" indeed ...Looks almost like a agreement :rolleyes:.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    My head says - what the hell is a Dortmund and a Bayern? Are they anything like a Weems or a Botts?

... edit ...

Haha! I figgered it out! You silly soccer fans! I'll let YOU try and figuer out what a Weem and a Bott is! :biggrin:

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I am saddened, kind sir, that an accident of birth has resulted in your inability to appreciate the finest of games :)

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    That was my first thought as well Steph !

...his contract starts with Bayern next week, but right now he is still a Dortmund player. It is unthinkable that Dortmund would agree to anything like this before the biggest game in their history. It's a fair contest and I hope the best team wins...as long as that team is black and yellow.

7. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

As much as I admire and respect what Dortmund has done in the last few years I see them as having little or no chance against Bayern on Saturday. The Munich team has been awesome this season and after losing two Champions League finals in the last 3 years or so I cannot see them losing again this year. Anyway, very much looking forward to a great game tomorrow and may the best team win! And for my American friends: give it a go and join the rest of the world in appreciation of the beautiful game...:)

8. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Both teams have been very strong in this year's Champion's League tournament. Both also had close calls (Dortmund/Malaga and Bayern/Arsenal), so I expect an excellent contest.

Not sure who I'll be rooting for, as I've been very impressed with both. However, Bayern lost a few UCL finals in the past few years, so I'll probably be pulling for them.

(See -- some Americans DO appreciate, and follow, "the beautiful game". :smile:)

9. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Exactly my feeling. Should be a cracking game. Go Dortmund :)

10. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Just to stir things up:

Fact 1: Dortmund have not lost in the last 6 league games against Bayern. (The German cup is a different story).

Fact 2: In the 60 years since their first game in european competitions, Dortmund have never lost against a German side.

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I hope meinne landsmann Mandzukic scores 2...but Dortmund score 3

:2thumbs:

12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Livnius, lots of Croatians in Dortmund: our favourite restaurant is Croatian. BVB has had quite a few Croatian players, too - just not at the moment :)

13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Being a huuuuuuuuge AC Milan fan I'm not that interested in this year's final. And I don't seem to have a favorite this time either. I believe which ever wins deserves it (a cliché...?) since they've gone this far by defeating good teams. It's nice to see that it's not always the same teams winning the UCL. That said, I wouldn't mind Milan winning the UCL five times in a row starting next year... :biggrin:

14. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Nope. If he was fit, of course he would play. He is a professional and he is missing out a game which should be the pinnacle of his career, an opportunity which might not come twice. Plus Dortmund need to win the game, he is one of their best players, so of course he would start if fit.

As many others have said, I want Dortmund to win but I think Bayern will. They are just so flexible tactically, they way they have played possession football all season, then so effectively changed tactics against Barcelona is ominous. To have come so close so many times, they must have incredible motivation by now also. Even if things go badly for them at the beginning, I think they can adjust and get back into the game fairly easily. They just have so many good options, whereas Dortmund only have one way to win really, which Bayern are very familiar with by now.

Should be a great game though! Aside from Götze there aren't any major absences.

15. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Haha! Good one Ron!

16. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I thought you were talking about football but obviously you were discussing cricket :biggrin:

17. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Geoff, Scots don't do cricket :)

18. dogs100

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    or football recently ... :rolleyes:

19. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Touche! Here in Dortmund, almost everyone is wearing yellow + black, Dortmund's colours. Well over a hundred thousand are going to the main public viewing sites, and all the pubs and church halls will be packed!

20. dogs100

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I was neutral but I will shout for your guys now