1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Don't you just hate it when ...........

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fred S, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Don't you just hate it when an EPL-5 with 14-42 kit lens
    drops from 650.00 to 560.00 . You buy one for $ 560.00
    and 5 days after the 30 day price protection ends
    the camera is now selling for $ 510.00 :frown:

However a very nice camera

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Rapid depreciation is one negative of M4/3 cameras as compared to the big Canikons. BUT, that disadvantage is also an advantage if you want to get spare bodies for a low price after the initial heavy depreciation period (which lasts about 12 months on average). Also, an advantage for beginners who want to try out their first M4/3 camera - they can simply get a 1-2 year old model for starters.

3. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    Electronics in general will always have rapid depreciation I remember 5DMK3 selling for nearly 4k body only that has dropped nearly a 1k ever since .

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Interesting that site shows the E-PL5 trending generally upward since December.

Of course I'm still waiting for the E-M5 price to start its' move downward.

6. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    That's not correct, since the Nikon D600 and D800 had a similar price drop within months and the same is true for other products of Nikon and Canon.

7. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    That has happened recently. I have bought the E-M5 with the 12-50mm as kit lens, the 1.8/45mm and a spare battery for the same price the E-M5 with the 12-50mm as kit lens costed only some weeks before.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was ready to get my Canon 6D at $1999, but I got a real bargain -- open box at Best Buy and I paid $1750 after taxes. It's online in some places in the $1600s. Bodies depreciate.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The OM-D has held it's price longer than the E-P3. It has dropped a bit, but I'm waiting for the new version o come out - then the original should drop a bit faster. :cool:

10. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I remember when the em-5 first came out, people were saying that its price will go down significantly after a few months. It's been a year and we're only seeing $100-150 rebate so far. I guess the sale figures are good? Good for Olympus.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I think the camera was good enough, and got such solid reviews, that they didn't need to rush out a follow-up camera. That held the price point. I'll be interested to see what happens when the new model comes out.

12. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Agreed, even with the release of the impressive GH3 almost a year later, it still hold its own.

Going back to the topic, what I hate is when I always see the 9-18mm $100 rebate and not buy it, but when it I actually want one, the rebate is gone and used prices are not as attractive. And when I finally bit the bullet and bought a used one on ebay, the rebate comes back. Story of my life! lol

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Don't even get me started, bought a D600 in September 2012 in December they included the 24-85 lens plus other stuff for the same price.
    :mad: :dash2: :horse: :rant:

14. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I love it when the prices do that, it's so predictable it's easy to time when you'll get your next camera for 250 dollars.

Like some one else said, it's all electronics. Laptops are just as bad, they lose about 20 percent value every year. A 4 year old laptop is worth about a quarter of the original value.

Never buy anything until it's been out for 4 years and is considered out of date.

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I spent too many years in I.T.

When folks asked my advice about purchasing a new computer one of the first things I noted that whatever they chose it would be obsolete the moment they opened the box and the new model would be 25% less in price :biggrin:.

I had hoped that the Fuji X100 would have a period of heavy discounts to unload old stock when the X100S was released, but that turned out not to be the case. There were a few discounts but not enough for me to pull the trigger.

Maybe in a year or two the X100 will be selling used for a couple/three hundred bucks and I'll take a flyer. If I didn't have the EM-5 kit it would be a no brainer but as it is I don't really have a need for the Fuji.

All ya can do is buy the gear, enjoy the gear, and shrug off the loss :dash2:.

Regards,

Jim

16. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I don't know, I bought a laptop 4 years ago for about $800. I wouldn't pay $50 for it now lol.

17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Me too. Love it when people ask for help on tech stuff and say they want to make sure it's not outdated in 3-4 years. I always if they really mean months.

18. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Me too!

But, as in IT, there comes a point where you realise that what you have is perfectly adequate for what you need - or want - to do.

I have an X100, and I very early on realised that, for the kind of photographs I take (mostly travel), the weaknesses of the Fuji just don't matter. I suspect that is the reason that not too many X100 users are upgrading to the X100s; so not much movement in the used market.

As far as cameras go, I'll stick to my IT rule: install every second release. I will look at the X100s successor, and the one after the next OM-D. Till then, the money goes on lenses ...

19. Mytola

Mytola Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    I tried the X100s, and the improvements weren't enough to make it another class of camera. It's faster, but not OM-D-fast. The quick menu is just pointless for me as well, and actually a drawback, as I had ND-filter assigned to the RAW-button it replaced. Not going to upgrade.

20. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Exactly, Mytola. Let's wait for the X100XS :)