Don't understand...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by radamo, Aug 25, 2012.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    What is Olympus' strategy?
    1. BLN-1, if you can find one is $60 or more. It doesn't even come with a plastic cover to store in your bag.
    2. None of the M43 lenses come with lens hoods??? WTF?

Are they even trying to attract serious enthusiasts with this type of strategy?

2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    it is what it is...

they have attracted me with thier fine cameras and primes and whatnot..

3. TDP

TDP Guest

The battery issue of availability is due to what country you live in. Since the day EM5s were released you could get OEM and aftermarket batteries here at any of the many camera stores. I'm not sure why but stock (of various items) sent to the US seems to be greatly reduced. It may be due to a decade or so of people buying online to save money, resulting in more brick and mortar shops closing down due to lack of business. Maybe Olympus only allocates so many items per store and even the big stores like B&H are just allocated one store worth. Other shops like Best Buy have people decide what they will and won't sell due to what they think is easiest to sell. Less stores, less supplies shipped to that country.

With hoods, some people never use them, some all the time and some are in the middle. I like them. Olympus is just trying to save money. If Olympus felt they were missing numbers because people are not buying their lenses due to the lack of included hood or case, they would change gears. Obviously they are still selling lenses so not including them is working ok. I think the prices of OEM hoods are extreme and profit margins for those items are high, just like most other accessories.

There are plenty of effective after market hoods and cases that are much cheaper than OEM versions, so there is some relief there.

DISCLAIMER: I'm American, I live overseas. I'm not bashing the US, nor is my post in anyway trying to upset anyone here at mu-43. If shipping from my location to the US didn't cost so much, I would gladly start selling EM5 batteries to anyone that wanted them.

4. metalbernd

metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Holland
    I have to wait a couple of weeks for my spare battery, so that didn't hurt.
    For the lens hoods, I have used Canon as Nikon the last years, only the pro lenses came with lens-hood's. If you buy non L lens there isn't a lens hood, how expensive the lens is.
    The most buyers for the Pen and some for the Om-d buy it for his small size.
    And a amateur don't by a lens-hood because they don't see why?
    I have seen some people with dslr facing the lens-hood backwards on there lens.
    So indeed the customer can choose what they want. And when the price matters? there are a lot alternative brands who sell good copy's.
    I bought a metal hood for my Panasonic 20mm 1.7, Panasonic doesn't have any, but JJC did.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No hoods, pouches, etcetera for their premium lenses was standard practice even before revealed financial troubles...

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    No hood, no pouch is cheap, but it hasn't stopped me from buying Olympus lenses and having a lineup of "to get when I can afford them," like the 12mm and 75mm or 60 macro. I've used after-market batteries with all my Olympus cameras since the C8080 (E-300, E510,), and have never had a problem. I do try to do a little research on the brand to make sure I'm not getting trash. And I buy third party hoods that have fit well. I like Olympus bodies and lenses, but I'm unwilling to spend $60 for a piece of molded plastic, even if it does carry the camera name. I'm delighted that Olympus has opted to produce high quality primes, even if I often have to save a while to get them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    I guess you guys are right regarding the hoods. I am coming back to Oly after many years. My favorite film camera of all time was my beloved OM-1. Recently I have been just using L glass on my Canons.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy

1) Just get third party. I got 2x Wasabi batteries and charger, $27 or so shipped and they work just fine.

Also, the BLN-1 doesn't need a cover - look at the battery contacts - they're recessed. It's only if they're flush/almost flush will they need a cover to prevent shorting if something conductive were to touch more than one contact. Not very likely with the BLN-1.

2) I'll admit, no hoods is pretty disappointing.

9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Where did you get your batteries and charger from? What country are you in?

10. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    The Wasabi aftermarket "undecoded" BLN-1 batteries are available from US Amazon.

I can confirm that they arrived promptly, work fine, and the charger charges the OEM battery, but they don't send any signal about their charge state to the camera. They will last as long as the OEM battery but die suddenly without warning. Also, if your Olympus battery runs dry, and the camera shows the "low-battery" warning, and you insert the Wasabi, the camera will continue flashing "low-battery" while taking your next 300 shots.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    How many reference to the OM-1 begin with "beloved"! That's how I always refer to mine.

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I too ordered the Wasabi cells off of Amazon, two batteries, a charger with flip connector rather than a long cord, and a car adapter for under $30. Vendor was Blue Nook, good service. Note that some users indicate that the OEM battery does not reach a full charge state in the Wasabi charger, reaching only 90% of charge or so. I've had no problems but YMMV.

For storing the batteries in lieu of a plastic cover I use the little bags that come with SanDisk memory cards. I got mine with the cards, but the bags are available separately and a battery fits just fine:

Amazon.com: SanDisk Memory Card Carrying Pouch - Black (Memory Card Not Included): Computers & Accessories

Another choice is a combined card/battery holder case; I have one of the Tamrac units. It holds any combination of cards, camera batteries, and AA or AAA flash cells. For my OM-D and FL300 flash I carry 1 spare camera battery, two spare cards, and six AAA cells. Weighs very little and can be attached to a belt or slid into jeans pockets.

Amazon.com: Tamrac S.A.S. MXS536801 Memory and Battery Management Wallet 4 (Black): Electronics

For lens hoods I go with third party.

HTH

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  13. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    My less than year old Wasabi BLS-5 recently got thicker in the middle, and is starting to not fit in the camera very well (sticks on ejection). It's always been recharged on the Olympus charger unit, but never seemed to last as long as the OEM version does even when it was new. I just bought a couple inexpensive replacements so I can retire this one, but I suspect they won't last all that long either. Perhaps there really is an advantage to spending more for the OEM battery packs.

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Def don't use it if it's expanding! I wouldn't charge it or use it again after noticing that for sure.

- Eliot@Austin, TX

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Check the warranty. It may have a 3 year factory warranty from Wasabi.

As noted above, any sign of bulging means an immediate retirement for the battery.

HTH

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If postage wasn't so expensive out of the USA, then maybe I might buy more from there. :wink:

17. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I never even thought about making a warranty claim to an off brand company. Since I always swapped back and forth between the Wasabi and OEM battery pack, the bad one probably has less than 25 recharges on it.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've never used a 3rd party battery & never will.

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have some pearstone.com batteries for our Pens (different than OMD batteries) that I purchased from B&H and they have been as good as the Oly OEM batteries. I would not hesitate to order Pearstone BLM-1 batteries. I am sure that there is difference in quality in 3rd party batteries.

20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I can find that Wasbi Power advertises having a 3 year warranty, but no way to contact them or make a claim.