Don't touch that battery!?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobWatson, Aug 16, 2012.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Slow day ... reading the manual for the E-P1

pp 151 "Never remove the battery with bare hands, which may cause a fire or burn your hands."

pp 151 "Always store batteries out of the reach of small children. If a child accidentally sallows a battery, seek medical attention immediately."

Can't even get my kids to swallow fruity flavored cold medicine (even in liquid form) ...

Seriously, batteries can be very dangerous. Once had a short across the terminals of a fully charged deep cycle marine battery that sprayed boiling hot acid over a wide area.

On another note pp 153 copyright notice contains the following "No part of these written materials or this software may be reproduced or used in any form or by any means ... without the prior written permission of Olympus." So when someone suggest I read the manual I'm being encouraged to violate the copyright? No part used in any form or means ... funny stuff.

Like I said - slow day.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I was reading the manual for my new (got it today) OMD and was amused to read words to the affect that if the camera starts smoking, you should put it down. DANG, I would NEVER have thought of that! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Too funny, lmao!

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Well, you can't claim you didn't know when they sue you for reproducing it here. :biggrin:

Oh shucks! Now I'm guilty too! :eek:

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Unfortunately we live in a very litigious society and lawyers have to cover their client's butt.

If someone does one of those stupid things and tries to sue Olympus, Olympus can say that it says not to do that in the manual.

Like whoever thought that coffee would be hot.

Try doing a search on SUES HIMSELF to see how bad it REALY is!

And getting back on photography, here's Gary Fong talking about a wedding photographer who was sued for $300,000:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dUplt-hP3g&feature=g-vrec]Wedding Photographer Who Did A Great Job Threatened with 300k Lawsuit - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    My favorite owner's manual was for my 1968 Honda motorcycle. Not only did it have reasonable warnings, like not to drink the battery acid, but it had gems like; "Do not bite the tires while the motorcycle is in motion."

Seriously. I think the real problem was bad translations from Japanese to Engrish, but even so...

• Like Like x 4
  7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA :rofl:

I'm loving this thread

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Fortunately, I read the manual and only bit the tires on my Scrambler when it was stopped.

G

9. michaeln

michaeln Guest

305?

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... yes. Life was so much more fun back in one's youth ... back when one's body actually healed without any lingering reminders of stupidity.

G

11. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I still have pains in my ankle from lowsiding a supermoto on a patch of gravel in a turn about six years ago.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have a similar sign and follow the same rules at home, especially leaving cigarette butts, and fruit peel everywhere ... strictly Verbotenen!

G

13. goodsonr

goodsonr Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2011
    you shouldn't smoke the tires either ... well .. unless you are outside and on a br(e)ak(e)

14. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I have to wonder about those people peeling fruit in the can.

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    My Honda wouldn't smoke the tires on a bet. The Kawasaki Z1 that came later, OTOH....

16. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Really, I only wanted to find out the highest capacity and type of SD card the E-P1 would support. I already have a 16GB card but bigger is better and all that.