Don't Step On My Blue Suede Olympus

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by goldenlight, Aug 15, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    You can do anything but lay off of my blue suede camera.

I think it's kind of strange how personally we take it when someone criticizes the brand or model of camera we use. "Call my wife ugly, say that I smell, but if you slag off my Panny you can go to hell."

It seems to be almost a tribal thing; rather like football supporters we develop fiercely loyal allegiances and fans of other football clubs (or cameras) are considered the enemy. It's sad in football, but in some ways understandable as the sport is based upon competition between teams and on the pitch there can only be one winner, with no such thing as an honourable draw (we woz robbed).

But why the same mentality with cameras? I replaced my Black & Decker hedge trimmer with a Bosch last week, but my neighbour didn't accuse me of going over to the Dark Side.

In photography the situation seems to be complicated by rivalry between formats as well as brand. Nikon and Canon full frame users will temporarily form a truce and join forces to repel any suggestion that Micro Four Thirds may have certain advantages or, in some situations, produce pictures almost as good. Similarly, proponents of Micro Four Thirds, who are keen to promote the format and establish it as mainstream, are just as apt to squabble amongst themselves when the issue of Olympus v Panny is raised. I've lost count of how many times I've seen the wish expressed that another manufacturer such as Fuji might join :43:. Yet surely all that would do is turn a pistols-at-dawn duel into a three-cornered bun-fight.

Why can't we embrace diversity and recognize that choice between formats and within formats is a good thing? It strikes me as rather odd that the average photographer will nod in agreement if you tell him that his pictures are rubbish but he is likely to thump you if you say that his camera is rubbish!

Are we losing perspective here, or is it really the case that you can burn my house, steal my car, drink my liquor from an old fruit jar - do anything that you want to do but don't step on my blue G2's.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    There does seem to be a particular weirdness to discussions that revolve around technology.
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I suppose people get defensive as there is a tendency to fee loyalty and help justify to yourself a purchase of hundreds if not thousands of dollars. You don't want to admit that you're wrong, that you made a mistake and that a different camera might have been better..Meh I own lenses and bodies from both manufacturers, I try to pick what's best for my needs at the time.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't really understand the concept of brand loyalty within a system. Regardless of whether Panasonic or Olympus come up with something new, it's still compatible with my current gear.

Hopefully those who are inclined towards Olympus and the E-M5 in particular don't see fit to return serve when/if we start to find more about a GH2 replacement. I haven't seen anything like that yet in regards to the new G5, so maybe all the E-M5 love/hate was just a one-off thing...
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    you forgot apple vs pc
  6. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I bought a GF1 in February, to explore the format. Its little printed guide drove me crazy, so I bought a book that explained things in readable English. Good move, it helped to unlock the capabilities of this little camera. Having gotten over the learning hump, I really like it.

I just bought an E-PL1 from Cameta, at a really good price, for a backup body. Spent some quality time with it and the manual this morning, waiting while my car was serviced. The UI now seems less obtuse, IQ is comparable, I like the "super control panel," and I found I really like IT too.

I can put the cameras side by side, and wish to somehow take the good parts of one and graft them onto the other, but that ain't gonna happen.

Regardless - I feel that I have TWO GOOD CAMERAS.
  7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I get brand loyalty in a lot of situations, but not intra-m4/3 rivalries. I'm suspect of anyone who doesn't have lenses from more than one manufacturer (and honestly, who doesn't have both the O45 and the P20? I'll tell you who, people with the O45 and the PL25, or fanboys, that's who!).
  8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    There is an old truth that go with your own strengths and not with others weaknesses. The possibilities to have a constructive conversation are next to none if you start listing bad things from others.

Then there is the tone of your thoughts. It's SO hard to write a neutral opinion without stepping ones feet. Without being provocative. I always smile when somebody gives you "permission to buy this and that brand if you think its better". You just used wrong tone and lifted yourself above others and thats a slap against ones face if any. People tend to get offended if someone is slapping them to face. You don't have to read many threads to find those posts with wrong tone. Many times the tone is there intentionally but it's there.

Us members are different. One doesn't have a single camera, yet opinions. One is true professional with 40 years of experience. One "professional" with lots of fathers money and gears, age 17 and lots of opinions based of... age. And then us with life long experience and solid, even better opinions of course :biggrin: Is it even possible to have conversation of any kind among that kind of group?

So we should go with our own strengths not with...
  9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Hopefully those who are inclined towards Panasonic and the GH3 in particular don't see fit to return serve when/if we start to find more about a E-M5 replacement :rofl:

In our dreams. We are still the very same animals :biggrin:

PS. I have to say that I also own both brands AND I appreciate both a lot so this was pure humor.