don't know which to choose from..

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by eos me, Aug 28, 2013.

1. eos me

eos me New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012
    i've been shooting with my 5D2 with 24-70L and that's my go to setup. but lately when i travel, i like to go lightweight. granted my S4 can do the photos, but it's just not the same.

i thought about getting the OMD since day one.. but been holding out hoping price drops etc. but now it's been out for a while.. i'm sure there are other ones out there that is compact and can product great IQ comparable or at least clost to my 5D2; or is that wishful thinking?

i've put aside a budget of $1300, which would be the OMD with 12-50 lense. there's a $150 rebate going on, so might be good for me to get it with a grip too; but that's not a necessity.

i shoot mainly nighttime photos, kids sports, landscape and some portrait.

would really appreciate all your inputs.. as i'm a total noob in m43 format.

tia~

2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I too am a 5DII and 24-70mm user.

Which hardly gets used.

Because I already have a DSLR, I'm not so keen on DSLR shaped OM-D. I know OM-D is a fine body.. but I enjoy the "Rangefinder" look.

Like E-P5, Panasonic GX7..

Just my perspective.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The OMD is a fantastic camera. It replaced my 5dii and I don't regret it. The 12-50 will be a disappointment compared to the 24-70 though. I'd go for the Panasonic 14-45 if the budget's tight, or the 12-35 if you can stretch. I have the 12-35 and it's superb. Certainly better than my old 24-105 and MUCH smaller and lighter.

If a smaller body (and no EVF) is what you're after then the E-PL5 or E-PM2 would fit the bill. Same sensor, but the bodies lack control dials so the handling is not so good.

4. eos me

eos me New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012
    uscrx and paul: love the photos in your flickr. man those are amazing. did you guys have to do any PP on those or straight from cam?

5. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Are you against buying used? You can find refurbished EM-5's with kit lens with 1 year warranty from the merchant for around $900. That would leave you with enough money to get a prime of your choices whether its the 17, 25, or 45.

6. eos me

eos me New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012
    I don't mind used. Which merchant is seeking it used?

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Just wait. There will be a flood of used OMDs when the E-M1 comes out and you will get a very good price. My guess is that you will get the E-M5 plus grip for US$650. The 12-35 should also fall with sellers switching to the new OMD zoom and pressure from the OMD zoom being sold from kit. So US$1400 should get you E-M5 + grip + 12-35.

8. eos me

eos me New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012

hi robbie.. ok, i guess i'll just wait and see... thx~

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Every Olympus camera made after the OM-D E-M5 uses the same sensor and is capable of the same IQ as the E-M5. That includes the Olympus E-PM2, E-PL5, and E-P5. The Panasonic GH3 also has a sensor as good if not the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.