don't know which to choose from..

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by eos me, Aug 28, 2013.

1. eos me

eos me New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012
    i've been shooting with my 5D2 with 24-70L and that's my go to setup. but lately when i travel, i like to go lightweight. granted my S4 can do the photos, but it's just not the same.

i thought about getting the OMD since day one.. but been holding out hoping price drops etc. but now it's been out for a while.. i'm sure there are other ones out there that is compact and can product great IQ comparable or at least clost to my 5D2; or is that wishful thinking?

i've put aside a budget of $1300, which would be the OMD with 12-50 lense. there's a $150 rebate going on, so might be good for me to get it with a grip too; but that's not a necessity.

i shoot mainly nighttime photos, kids sports, landscape and some portrait.

would really appreciate all your inputs.. as i'm a total noob in m43 format.

2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I too am a 5DII and 24-70mm user.

Which hardly gets used.

Because I already have a DSLR, I'm not so keen on DSLR shaped OM-D. I know OM-D is a fine body.. but I enjoy the "Rangefinder" look.

Like E-P5, Panasonic GX7..

Just my perspective.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The OMD is a fantastic camera. It replaced my 5dii and I don't regret it. The 12-50 will be a disappointment compared to the 24-70 though. I'd go for the Panasonic 14-45 if the budget's tight, or the 12-35 if you can stretch. I have the 12-35 and it's superb. Certainly better than my old 24-105 and MUCH smaller and lighter.

If a smaller body (and no EVF) is what you're after then the E-PL5 or E-PM2 would fit the bill. Same sensor, but the bodies lack control dials so the handling is not so good.
  4. eos me

eos me New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012
    uscrx and paul: love the photos in your flickr. man those are amazing. did you guys have to do any PP on those or straight from cam?
  5. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Are you against buying used? You can find refurbished EM-5's with kit lens with 1 year warranty from the merchant for around $900. That would leave you with enough money to get a prime of your choices whether its the 17, 25, or 45.
  6. eos me

eos me New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012
    I don't mind used. Which merchant is seeking it used?
  7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Just wait. There will be a flood of used OMDs when the E-M1 comes out and you will get a very good price. My guess is that you will get the E-M5 plus grip for US$650. The 12-35 should also fall with sellers switching to the new OMD zoom and pressure from the OMD zoom being sold from kit. So US$1400 should get you E-M5 + grip + 12-35.
  8. eos me

eos me New to Mu-43

Feb 29, 2012

hi robbie.. ok, i guess i'll just wait and see... thx~
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Every Olympus camera made after the OM-D E-M5 uses the same sensor and is capable of the same IQ as the E-M5. That includes the Olympus E-PM2, E-PL5, and E-P5. The Panasonic GH3 also has a sensor as good if not the same.