Don't know if I'd gel things like this...

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I was playing around with a couple of "Lee Filter Designers Edition" guides (i.e. Color filter swatch books with about 300+ colors in ea.). I got them for free at the theater supply shop who sells the Lee filters for stage lighting. While looking for complementary colors, I ran into a couple that produced a neutral gray color much like looking through a gray ND filter. So what would happen should I put one of each on a couple of speedlights? Would the two colors blend into a neutral WB that could be set into the camera?

Seems they do!

A Lee 366 Cornflower (Blue) and a Lee 285 Three Quarter C.T. Orange were used on two speedlights at about 45 degrees outside at night. The WB measured out to be about 5,000K. The left side has the orange, and the right has the blue. The large gel sheets sell for about $6 each (Size is ~20"x24").

Interesting part is the shadow on each side is filled with the color of the speedlight on the same side which I thought would go to the opposite side in general, but given it's a shadow then it makes sense. Lighting a complex scene might be interesting though.

Probably a lot of other colors in the swatch book that would do the same.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
Interesting... we are the Rosco agents here in South Africa (as well as Manfrotto for the film industry - not photography unfortunately) so I have plenty swatches and gel sheets to ''play with''

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The theater lighting shop got into a big squabble-fest about the mixing of the two colors I bought today. A Lee #113 Magenta and a Lee #139 Primary Green. Looking through them out through the store window they are almost black when paired. One set designer said, "Those two colors will make a mud look." Another said, "They'd cancel to black." Being a camera shot, I should be able to get something out of the pair.

Played with the pair on the two Godox speedlights and found they can mix to a neutral gray or close to it. Looked more vibrant than the amber and blue above. I added a smoke machine and some of the smoke is lit near the bottom with the green on the left and magenta on the right. Wind was blowing so the smoke was hard to control without covering up everything.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom