Done with the GF2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Sep 27, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I liked the GF2 ...quite a lot in fact, but I found that I just did not use it. Even with an EVF1 installed on it (that I also liked a lot) I still reached for the G2. The ergonomics of the G2, the nice big (and bright) EVF, articulated LCD and great handling made it just waaaaay too easy to reach for the G2. I found that I am willing to put up with a bigger camera for those things. That's a funny little bit of self discovery that as I had been wanting a GF2 (and GF1 before that) since I first got into m43. As it turns out that compact form factor is just not my thing. I don't have any bad things to say about it. All I really can say is that it just didn't suit me.

So...I am hopelessly behind the times with my antiquated G2. I think I'll survive. :biggrin:

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I agree with you completely. The G2 and GH2 handle like cameras should handle. And while they may be bigger than the GFs and Pens, they're still way smaller than DSLRs.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Clearing the decks for the GFX1? :tongue:

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I had a GF2 for like an hour before deciding it had literally the worst grip that such a camera could possibly have. Dunno how anyone else uses it -- and I use a PM1 now.

5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I had one that I bought for the 14 and sold the body. I thought it was a little too small. It seemed well built and worked well but it no real hand grip on the side and the body is very slippery.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Interestingly I have a GF1 but I used it far less when I got my G1. I bought a GF2 in order to get the 14mm lens figuring I would likely sell it but I am using it even more than the G1 so I will be selling my GF1.

I have small hands and the GF2 fits me well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. madvette

madvette Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 2, 2011
    El Monte, CA
    I actually have two GF2's in my Camera bag. They are my Back ups to my Canon 7D. I love the fact they are small to carry. Instead of my 70-200 2.8 IS in my bag, in that slot i carry Two GF2's and 14/20/45-200.

The Fact you can get the GF2 with the 14mm for around 390-420 new. Tells me that not many people bought them.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I find the GF2 to be the best backup camera to the G3. They practically have the same interface, same battery and both have a hotshoe mount. I'd take a GF2 over a GF3 for a backup if I owned a G3.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The thought had crossed my mind

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I liked the GF2 a lot but I found myself going back to the G2 and I figured if I'm going to grab a second body I'd probably rather have a G3. I really do prefer the mini DSLR form factor.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think the GF2 is an excellent camera (and I will miss the 1080 video) but when it comes right down to it I went with the G2 not for any reasons of quality but because of little things (probably not even important to most folks).

1. While walking I can have the G2 hang form my fingers by its grip 9I use a Gordy strap). It's very comfortable and ready to go in an instant even with a lens like the 45-200 on it.

2. I really like the flip out/articulating LCD. I find it a real treat to use and oit have allowed me to get some really cool shots that I could not have gotten any other way.

3. The controls on the G2 suit me very well. The dials and thumb wheels are all where I expect them to be. I find using the G2 to be effortless. and for me the fact that I don't need to think about it makes it a real blast to use.

4. The EVF...I found the LCD only on the GF2 to be a bit restrictive. Useable but just not what I wanted. The LVF1 was a very nice addition to the GF2 (and I thought quite good) but the EVF on the G2 is a lot nicer. That's not meant as a knock on the LVF1 just a statement of fact. The built-in EVF on the G2 is brighter, bigger and easier to use. Throw in the auto on/when you bring it up to your eye and it just made it a better choice for me.
    What I think this whole experience has done for me (owning an E-PL1, E-P1, E-PL2 and GF2) is made me realize that I really don't want another compact m43 body. I just really prefer the mini DSLR form factor. It's certainly not for everyone and I'm sure many folks prefer it the other way but for me that mini DSLR form factor is a better fit.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Better watch it!
    Next thing you know, you'll be owing a big DSLR with the likes of the Pentax K-5 :wink:

13. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    :eek:WHERE?

14. NOT Australia

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Already HAD the big DSLR (Canon and Nikon) and I left that for m43 so I'm not so sure I'd go back to that...but I guess you can never say never.

16. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The K-5 is diminutive besides the Canon and Nikon alternatives. Not much bigger than my GH2, albeit much heavier.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Okay then...Four Thirds....:wink: :biggrin:

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :smile::smile::smile:

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The K-5 is about the same size as the D7000 and 7D.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Been there too...although I DID like 4/3rds better than my Canon or Nikon.