Domke Wraps, VanQuest VSlinger as camera bag, and should I sell my E-M10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by billbooz, Oct 21, 2014.

1. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Recently made new posts to my blog you may find useful, but also interested hearing from others here about their experiences and suggestions: (1) I now have three Domke wraps and find them very versatile and useful for wrapping my m4/3 lenses in. Can use the 15" one to even wrap my E-M1 with 12-40mm attached! (2) now that I'm using smaller, m4/3 equipment, I'm revisiting using my VanQuest tactical gear bag, the VSlinger as a camera bag. Anyone ever used one of these? (3) I can't decide whether to sell or keep my E-M10 since I bought the E-M1. Any thoughts? [ http://www.infotor.com/blog ]

61917fdc74c4e95c183e3868938c575c. 1b93c2c5da4447e8015f95993fe39a87.

• Like Like x 1
  2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Absolutely. I have posted a number of times here recommending that people check out the "tactical" stuff. There is a huge range of options and eliminating the unnecessarily (IMO) huge padding makes for a much more compact way to carry our compact equipment. Often I will add a 1/2" piece of closed-cell foam to the bottom of the bag, but beyond this padding is unnecessary in my life, which includes a lot of international travel.

For maybe 5 years, my cabin bag was a Maxpediton Malaga (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/MALAGA-GEARSLINGER-p514.htm) which comfortably too one of my G1s with any lens. Using the neoprene lens and body bags that are ubiquitous on eBay I could carry pretty much my whole kit if I wanted to.

Here's a photo of another tactical bag that I have used & posted here before:
    More_of_Bag-1.

Note the extra pouches that can mount to the "PALS" webbing as you need them. This is a big advantage of the tactical stuff as there are literally hundreds of pouch options available.

3. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Thanks, Oldracer. Sorry I haven't seen your earlier posts. Awesome solution for carrying gear.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
  5. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Hi - how well protected is your em1 in the domke wrap? Considering one for the exact same setup as I often like to take a camera out but it ends up a 'normal' handbag, so protection against keys, etc is a must. It's a toss up between this or the olympus omd wrap - as I had the latter for my e-p3 with good results.

6. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    The black bag, #3 from left, is a loewpro passport sling, right? I have one for my OM-D EM5 and it is annoying that whenever i put my camera inn, the wheels turn like crazy - modes changes and aperture also. It may be better with a smaller lens (I use a 12-40, but am looking into something smaller) or the EM10 may be a better fit. The EM1 I think would be to big.

7. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Aniseedvan, IMO the 15" Domke does a nice job of protecting an E-M1 with the 12-40mm attached. Anything longer probably won't be completely covered.

• Like Like x 1
  8. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Yes, Akashi, that is a Lowepro Passport Sling and I find I can comfortably fit my E-M1 with the 12-40mm in the padded camera section if I put it in sideways.

9. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    But then you remove the separating flap? I like to keep that in for another lens.

10. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Didn't read all the rest of this, and amusingly came back from London last week with a blue 15" domke plus a black/red passport sling II bag!
    I should have shares in Lowepro, that's the fourth one now... Used it for a slow walk round Blenheim palace on Saturday and the weight is fine for CSC gear. I've got massive lowepro bad for the heavy stuff.
    Husband was taking the mickey saying it looks like I've gone back to a baby changing bag, which is no fuss to me. I'd hope no one wants to pinch a bag that looks like it's full of nappies and wipes!