1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Domke RuggedWear finish question

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jon595, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    The UPS guy dropped off a brand new Domke F-5XB RuggedWear at my house today. I love the size and quality of the bag so far. I think it'll get much more use than my F-803 satchel (which may appear in the classifieds section here soon...).

My question has to do with the wax wear finish. It definitely has a tacky/waxy coating on it to the point of almost feeling wet. After handling the bag, you can feel a bit of substance on your hands.

I was wondering if this is normal for a new bag and if it goes away at all. I got it from Amazon, so if I end up not liking the RuggedWear, I'll send it back for a black one. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this? Thanks.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

mine was the same.... it dries a little after some time and provides some limited sealing from moisture. You should have also received a canister of finishing wax to renew the finish in the future.

3. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I did receive the canister of wax with the bag. If it dries even a little more I'll be very happy with it overall. I just wanted to make sure that was normal and would get a little less 'waxy' over time.

Anything else I should know about this bag? Pros or cons?

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like it... mine is the F-6 which is configured for two small bodies and four lenses. The only real dissapointment was the material is much thinner than a traditional canvas based domke which I have owned in the past. Makes me wonder if it will survive as long as the ballistic or canvas versions. I also noticed thatbthe buckles are not metal but plastic.... I swear my old domke had metal hardware but I have yet to hear of anyone reporting brakage.

5. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    The material on my F-803 is the black canvas and is much thicker than the RuggedWear. The buckles are metal on the F-803 and on the F-5XB. The only plastic pieces I've noticed are on the should strap for cinching strap length. The connectors between the strap and bag are metal.

I'll keep this bag and I'm sure it'll be become my new favorite carry bag.

6. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Hi Jon.

I've owned an F2 waxwear for about six months and just took delivery of an F-5XB. Neither bag has a residue/wet feel or look to it. The process of reapplying wax includes putting a little heat to it. This does seem to dry it a bit if I remember correctly. I did it with an old F3 wax that I owned a few years ago. You may try it on a small area with a blow dryer.

Here's a few images of what mine look like. It may be hard to tell in the pics but I think it should have a dry look - at least that's the way I like mine.

6606686227_24c148003b_b.

6600726537_19f24d6628_b.

7. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I'll try to hit it with a blow dryer a bit tomorrow. Thanks. Nice setup.

• Like Like x 1