Domke F6 vs. F8 vs. F3X

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SRHEdD, Mar 7, 2011.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    It looks like the F6 is the same as my VERY old F2 without the side pockets, the F3 is 12.5" left to right, so bigger than I want. The F8 is the fleece lined bag (my words), but would fit a 2 compartment insert nicely with room to spare on one end or the other. The F3 is nearly double the price of the others ($130), the F6 is $65, the F8 is $80 (plus $19 for insert). I can't deal with the zippered top of the other versions, I like to throw open the flap and have access.

Who has which and is happy?

Yes, I could just load up the old F2, but it is bigger than I'd like to carry these days, especially considering that this new kit is so small!

PEN-related pics would be great!
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I love my Domke F6. I traveled with it all over Spain and Portugal, it's durable, holds more than you think it will hold and doesn't scream "PHOTO BAG". My sole complaint is that you have to use the Domke inserts and I'd like more options. I often use it as an everyday shoulder bag for work.
  3. Hunter5117

Hunter5117 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2010
    When I was shooting film I carried everything in a Domke F1-X bag. 2 motor-bodies, half-dozen lenses, flashes, filters, etc. Weighed a ton. When I went digital I bought a F-803 camera satchel and it is the perfect size for my Pen body along with 2 or 3 legacy primes, plus a few accessories. The F1-X is pushing 20 years old with a lot of miles and still in great shape. the F-803 is over 10 years and looks new. They wear like iron.

I have my F-803 set up like you described, a 2 pocket insert plus room at one end for the camera. I have some lens dividers that I use so I can put up to 2 lenses in each compartment, so potentially 4 lenses plus the camera but that starts to get heavy again so I don't usually load it that much unless going for a week or something like that. The front pockets can hold a lot plus couple more zippered compartments for misc stuff, cables, etc.
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have an F6 and an F5XB. The F6 is too big for day to day use but wonderful for extensive travel and real photo expeditions. I carried mine almost every day of my Europe trip last year with two camera compartments (at each end) and a four slot square insert in the middle for lenses and accessories. I generally had two bodies and a total of four lenses with me, plus the usual batteries, filters, cleaners, etc. It was an excellent setup with everything very quickly accessible - I usually had one body and lens out and on a strap and another (usually with the 9-18 wide angle) in the first compartment so I could get at it immediately when a shot presented itself.

But for day to day shooting or light travel, its overkill and too big for me to want to deal with. Which is when the F5XB is perfect. Holds one camera with a lens in the middle with room for one or two lenses at each end and a small pocket for batteries and/or filters. VERY small and unobtrusive - a great bag for a day of shooting. The 5 XB feels more like its in the spirit of m43, of going small and light. But the F6 is pretty great when you want to have everything with you.

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    My F2 is so old...

...that the reps try to buy it from me when I go to shows (been a few years though). The week I bought it I had my initials embroidered on the end flap. It has served years at minor league baseball games up and down the east coast, trips to the keys carrying all sorts of stuff, and a couple of trips to Russia. From hack, to working pro, to teacher, and back to hack! Best I can tell it is 26 years old and better than ever, but just bigger than my kit calls for now. A Domke is best when packed, and letting what gear I have now roll around inside just isn't an option. I'm leaning towards the F6-B ballistic version, but the olive canvas is calling to me as a little stealthier.

Sounds like yours is similar, more an old friend than a bag. This is a post to those who haven't considered them obviously.

I think we just made up my mind...