1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Domke F10 Review

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by The Minimalist, Jun 24, 2012.

1. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I have recently purchased a Domke F10 bag. Once I received it, it was a little smaller than expected, but it is very well made and I can see this bag lasting for years. I went for the olive green version and to be honest, it looks like a haversack you can buy cheaply at an army surplus store and not like a camera bag. I like the way it looks.
    It comes with three handles, the gripper shoulder strap, a detachable handle and a top carry handle. There is an open pocket at the rear, good for visiting guides etc. A zipped pock inside the flap, main compartment with two diveders and alarge zipped front pocket. The flap is secured by the noisy velcro and a steel snap hook.
    So, what can it hold? Well this little lot.

IMG_7540.JPG

From left to right back row there is the Panasonic 100-300mm lens, Canon FD50 c/w lens hood & M4/3 adaptor, Olympus 45mm lens, Panasonic 14mm2/5 lens in pouch, Panasonic GF1 with leather half case, Panasonic EVF in case, Nissin Speedlite flash.
    Front row, Rocket blower, battery charger, Invalometer, UV filter, Polarizing filter, 46mm RF lens hood, Spare battery, 2x SD cards, Raynox 250 Macro converter, ND filter and camera manual.

The manual fits in the back pocket.
    IMG_7534.JPG

The filters, SD cards and spare battery in zipped pocket under the flap.
    IMG_7535.JPG

The lenses, camera, evf & the RF lens hood in the main compartment. Everything else in the zipped front pocket.
    IMG_7536.JPG

Everything fits in nicely.
    IMG_7533.JPG

99% of the time, I will be carrying the :43: lenses, camera, filters, SD cards and battery. The front pocket would be free to carry keys, wallet, cell phone etc.
    IMG_7542.JPG
    IMG_7543.JPG

As others have reported, the bag molds itself to your body and you don't notice the weight of it. It's a very comfortable bag to wear. The gripper strap works, the steel clip a little fiddly and the velcro is loud. For me it is nearly perfect and it's a keeper and my wife likes it so much she wants, she wants the F5XB as a handbag :rolleyes: .

• Like Like x 5
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Great stuff mate...thanks for posting this.

3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Nice case, I purchased the Lowepro Nova 180 AW and all of my equipment fits in there perfectly. It is just a little larger than your bag but it fits all of my equipment in it with room to spare.

4. rodsky77

rodsky77 New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2011
    Domke makes excellent bags. I went for the ThinkTank Retrospective 5 - just the right size for an m4/3 system.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    arh...ipad friendly....taking note..heehee

6. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, there are plenty of good bags out there, I chose this particular bag as some place was selling it less than half price.

I would say that this bag is too small to be Ipad friendly, Iphone perhaps. The manual that slips into the back pocket is 18cms(7in.)x13cms(5in.)

Here is another review with some photo's comparing the size of this bag to the Domke F5XB & F5XC.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=825468

7. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Darren,
    I looked at that same bag; however, I decided that it was a little too small for my needs. It is a fine product; well constructed and appears to be robust. I like the heavy canvas-esque fabric and the low-profile color.

I went for the Lowepro Pro Messenger 160 AW. It appears to made of the same fabric and almost the same color.

I like the look of these canvas-like bags. I tire of the various cordura and nylon offerings that have largely proliferated the camera market for the last three decades.

8. hinata76

hinata76 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Singapore
    My bad! Overlooked! thought that was a ipad!

9. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    fits 2 bodies with mounted lenses, other lesnes, batteries, filters and accessories

I just got one of these. It fits an EM1 with 75mm mounted in the center slot and an EM5 with 45mm mounted in the side slot in the main pouch with room for a 20mm and 12mm in the remaining space.

I put my phone in the front pocket along with keys, wallet and a few other things. Mini iPad fits also.

Batteries and filter are kept in the zippered pouch in the cover flap.

Loving this bag so far.

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've been using F10's (I've had two) for five years now with an assortment of MFT and film stuff and love them to bits, perfect bag for walk around stuff :smile:

A few thoughts on this, from long-term use...

- The rubber in the gripper strap will deteriorate and wear out.
    - The clip will loosen up with use and the action will become very much second nature.
    - The velcro is annoying, but helps stops things falling out, and sneaky hands getting in :wink: