1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Domke F-5XB vs Ona The bowery

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by vallver, Jun 14, 2014.

1. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Hello everyone!

I am planning to buy a new camera bag for my gear but I'm struggling with deciding which of these two cameras to buy, hope you can help me!

1) Domke F-5XB - http://www.amazon.de/Domke-F-5XB-Cl...d=1402767671&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Domke+F5XA

2) Ona The bowery - http://www.onabags.com/store/small-goods/the-bowery.html?color=field-tan#field-tan

I think the Domke is a bit bigger but I prefer the design of the Ona, not sure if all my kit will fit though... here's what I'm planning to carry:

1) Olympus OM-D E-M5 with Panaleica 25mm
    2) Panasonic 14mm
    3) iPad Mini
    4) GoPro Hero 3+ camera
    5) GoPro Pole (2cm / 8,6")
    6) Moleskin notebook (small)
    7) Extra batteries for the GoPro + a couple of small accessories

I think the Ona might be a bit small to fit all of this but I guess I could manage.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I've had the Ona Bowery with an EM5, iPad Mini, and accessories. I don't know how the GoPro Pole will pack, but I'm confident in saying everything else will fit, though fairly full.

Here's the Bowery with EM5, grip, P20 mounted, O45, P14, flash, batteries, etc.

Photo%20Dec%2017%2C%208%2012%2021%20PM.

Here's the iPad Mini divider I made and added, it didn't affect the storage space much at all.
    Photo%20Jun%2006%2C%201%2044%2026%20PM.

3. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Ah that looks quite big to be honest! Thanks for the shots! Might want to make that ipad insert as well!

I just wish I could see the bags together but I don't even know where to buy either of them in a physical store...

4. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    I've got the Domke and that velcro closure got old FAST!! I'd go with the Ona Bowery for a similar size bag.

5. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    Love the bowery but don't like it comes with only one divider. I think a full size tablet will fit in the back pocket but just barely. Honestly best looking bag but maybe too small for me. I keep going back to the hadley small. I like the domke but not my style. I have the f803 but think the bowery is much nicer.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    There really is no comparison.
    The f-5XB isn't very well made.
    I have a f-5xb which is now relegated to storage of extra bits and pieces but handled an ONA bag recently and the ONA bag has more a more luxurious feel to it, and it seems less likely to fall apart.

7. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    vallver,
    I have a couple of F-5X bags. They were branded Domke Tamron on the ribbon on the cover. I used a small pair of scissors to cut off the ribbon. The big deal was they were only $19 each. I usually carry a camera (GX7 or GH3) with a mounted lens and one additional lens. There is room in the pocket for a couple of batteries and a couple of SD cards. I don't believe it would be possible to get everything you listed into the bag.

8. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I remember the Tamron branded bags. They seemed better made. I remember them being about $30 or so.
    I sometimes wonder if Tiffen had something to do with the drop in quality. If you buy the original "shoot-sack" Jim Domke model, it's clearly made better than any of the current F-xX series bags.

9. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    I think Im gonna bite the bullet and try the bowery. It's such a nice bag and small! My setup is:

Em10
    12-40
    40-150
    Either 10" or 7" tablet
    A few extras like a brush and sd card case

I think I can fit it...maybe even stack two lenses and have the camera and lens face down in there. Gotta try or I'll never know for sure. The idea is to have a small light but still useful travel bag.

PS cognac leather=WOW

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

10. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Guys! Thanks all for the comments!

I finally went for it and bought the Ona! Sorry for the ****ty pictures (terrible lightning + ****ty camera phone)

725Tmd5.

And one with everything I said I wanted to put into it! Fits perfectly!

UcMzJ2b.

Now I need to get some velcro and whatever material that is to make myself an insert for the ipad! I couldn't be happier!

11. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Odd, my Domke f-5XB is built like a tank. I have the "Rugged Wear" version and it is very sturdy and looks great.

12. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I wondered about that. I've looked at the RuggedWare versions over the years and it looks like they're using a different cloth formulation on those. Perhaps closer to the original Shoot-Sac? Anyway, I was kinda miffed when, upon pulling my camera out of a RW version, it had a skid mark from the gunk-wax that got rubbed into the fabric for water-protection.

I'm not a fan of oil/wax finishes that must be re-applied... Personal preference.