Domke F-10 Ruggedwear

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Heavy Doody, May 31, 2013.

1. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    This is my 3rd new bag in less than a month. I have a serious problem. But I've finally found the perfect, everyday, work-and-back bag for me.

Contents:

OMD (half gripped)
    Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 (mounted)
    Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8
    Variable ND filter
    iPad Mini
    Pens
    Business cards
    Earpods

Total weight: 5 lbs 2 oz

Sorry about the horrible pics, but I'm just not motivate to get my butt out of this seat now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. timp4jc

timp4jc New to Mu-43

May 31, 2013
    Moore, SC
    Tim
    Thanks for the pics...

Thanks for the pics. I am on the fence about this and a couple of other domke rugged wear for my new bag.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    If I'm not mistaken, that's not the Ruggedwear version, it's the "sand" canvas version. Anyway, I have a black F10 and really like it. :biggrin: ... Heavy, what two other bags did you buy this month? Just curious....

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I also got an F-10 recently. It is a good size for a lightweight m43 kit. Body, a couple of lenses, and some accessories, when you want to travel light and access things quickly.

5. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    I have the F-10 rugged wear version . It can carry a lot surprisingly. On a recent trip I carried an OMD with 12-50mm attached, plus P25, O50, O40-150, 3 lens hoods, spare batteries and misc accessories. Plus, my Nexus 7 tablet in the back slot/pocket. I can pack it light or load up. Also, I had a local shoe repair shop sew a velcro strap over the back pocket for added security when I carry my N7 tablet. My only concern is that it has no rain or weather protection; the top is open under the foldover flap and the ends tend to open up when the bag is worn or carried by the top handle.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    As mentioned above, that's the canvas version, not the Ruggedwear :smile:

Great bag though, I have two (don't ask why...)

7. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I love my Domke F10, since I got it I have felt no need to upgrade. In mine I carry a GF1 with P20mm mounted, P7-14mm, Oly 45mm, P100-300mm, Vented lens hood, Panny EVF1, spare batterry, 3 filters, spare memory card, couple of over bits and bobs. The good thing there is still more room and it's not the biggest of bags.
    It's nice to see it can carry a 7 inch tablet in the front pocket.

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've been considering a Domke bag for a while, but I'm really confused by which one will be the right fit for me. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the Domke naming strategy (i.e. a "bigger" model number doesn't seem to indicate a larger bag).

The Domke website doesn't seem particularly suited to answering this question. As far as I can tell there is no comparison feature, nor any table that contains detailed specs (e.g. interior or exterior dimensions) on each of the many bags they offer.

Not to highjack your thread, but if anyone knows of a resource that breaks down and/or organizes the Domke bags in some sort of logical fashion, I'd love to see it. I guess the best thing would be just to go into a store and take a look, but I'd like to get some idea of 2-3 models that will work to avoid getting overwhelmed by the array of choices in the store. I'm currently leaning toward the F-5XB.

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    What was wrong with the Ona Union Street?

10. Heavy Doody

Sep 17, 2012
    Interesting. The page I bought it from on Amazon had about 5 Ruggedwear bags in different colors. Now it makes sense why they were all different prices. Thanks for the info.

Links are to my threads with pics:

Ona Union Street

Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW

11. Heavy Doody

Sep 17, 2012
    Not a thing. I'm just a bag-buying junkie!

I'll continue using both, but the Union Street will become a more specialized back when I need a little more stuff. Probably use it for travel (no hiking) and loading up for outdoor portrait sessions.

The Domke, on the other hand, is a lot smaller and lighter. It's pretty much perfect for a bag to take back and forth to work with me every day. I don't like to load that bag up. Sometimes I'll go a month without pulling the camera out. It's my just in case set up.

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I think I'm in the same boat. :redface:

13. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    From one bag addict to another, courage brother. Admitting the addiction is half the battle.

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    My mom and I agreed many years ago that finding the "right" purse/handbag was a task *not* for the feint of heart. Now, it seem to me that finding the right purse/handbag is a piece of cake compared to finding the right camera bag ... and one bag alone never does the job, so several are necessary. .... And sadly, the search never ends.

My dad was a golfer, so he was forever searching for the right putter, but bags were never an issue for him. If my dad had been a photographer, I think he and my mom might never have had issues about bags ... or putters. :wink:

15. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    There is no right camera bag. There is only the next camera bag.

16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The other half of the battle is finding the perfect bag...

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Keith,

Take a look at the reviews and photos here: Cambags.com bag database Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource. . This should help. Also, Glazer's stocks most of the Domke bags.

--Ken

18. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Keith,

You are correct that Domke's naming system is not very logical. Initially, their mainstay bags were primarily F-1, F-2, F-3 and a few of their F-80X bags. A good way to understand their product line is to look at the bags by their shape and design.

If you are looking for a smaller bag, then consider the F-5 series as well as the F-9, F-10 and the F-803. If you need a slightly larger small bag, then look at the F-6 or possibly the F-4.

The F-10 holds a lot for a small bag, and the F-6 is kind of like a mini F-2. The F-803 is a satchel, and like the F10, it also holds a a great deal.

Another thing about the F-10 is that it will snugly fit into a Tom Bihn Imago bag Imago - Laptop Messenger Bag. Great for the 13" MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. - TOM BIHN. You can mostly work out of this combo when traveling, and if you need a second bag, the F-10 can be easily removed and you now have a large second bag at your disposal.

Hope this helps a bit,

--Ken