1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Domke F-10 Ruggedwear review

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nickthetasmaniac, Mar 9, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 5
  2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Good review and as a DOMKE Ruggedware owner, I agree with all but one point: Doesn't look like a camera bag? It looks exactly like a camera bag. Who are you kidding?

• Like Like x 1
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thanks for this Nick, I'm still looking for a better bag, too!!

I'm still using an adapted Crumpler laptop bag as I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Cheers for taking the time to do the review, and the photos :thumbup:

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I've just bought the smaller F8, which is just big enough for my E-M5, 14-45mm and 40-150mm plus usual accessories. Initial impressions are very good, it's certainly well made and practical. Also the logos are even less obtrusive than on the F10. Does it look like a camera bag? Maybe to the initiated it does, but the reaction from my wife was interesting, "What a horrible bag - you paid how much? It looks like a cheap old bag you'd use for fishing."

5. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Interesting point of contention here... Of course, to the photographic enthusiast, the Domke name and form screams Camera Bag. But, as mentioned below, I'd argue that it's only the initiated that would have that reaction. To the street kid in Mumbai looking for gear to steal, I'd much prefer to be carrying a Domke than a Lowepro esky with a 'Canon 7D' strap hanging out of it...

I'd love to see some shots/thoughts on the F-8! I've been interested in it for a while for a very minimalist kit (can never have too many bags...).

6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I'd wager that to the street kid in Mumbai looking to steal photographic equipment, it doesn't look like an ice cream cone with chocolate sprinkles, but it just might contain some nice camera equipment. If nothing else, the DOMKE logo emblazoned across the front betrays it.

At any rate, I have settled on the DOMKE F6 Ruggedwear bag for all of my
    m4/3 equipment for a combination of its small size, easy visibility of contents when open and its semi waterproof hide. And I've been through shoulderbags and backpack bags too numerous to mention.

Thanks for the review.

7. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'll take some later. :smile:

8. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Of course, to the street kid in Mumbai (or Brixton or the Bronx) even a fishing bag is probably worth nicking and as soon as you get tha camera out it gives the game away anyway!

9. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Same here on the F-6 Ruggedwear. Most days it's too big, but many days it's just right, and it's never been too small for what I carry.

10. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I've found that as an American in a foreign country, I could be carrying a paper bag and it would be assumed to have a camera in it.

11. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    One photo that every review should include, but usually doesn't, is one of the bag being carried. Hard to judge how it carries without one.

Thanks for the review. Gotta love Domke bags.

12. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    As promised, pictures of the Domke F-8 ruggedwear.

Front
    8541739189_d30bf9b452_o.
    DOMKE F8 016 e c r s by John Perriment, on Flickr

8542839132_0120b7a61b_o.
    DOMKE F8 015 e c r s by John Perriment, on Flickr

Back
    8542838496_fb889f2269_o.
    DOMKE F8 020 e c r s by John Perriment, on Flickr

Side
    8542866788_f340ae5d5b_o.
    DOMKE F8 021 e c r s by John Perriment, on Flickr

My kit. Lenses are Panasonic 14-45mm and Olympus 40-150mm
    8542839980_0701081622_o.
    DOMKE F8 010 e c r s by John Perriment, on Flickr

Options for storing camera
    8541740933_1b4591b39e_o.
    DOMKE F8 002 e c r s by John Perriment, on Flickr

8542840326_7e8b3921cf_o.
    DOMKE F8 004 e c r s by John Perriment, on Flickr

The F-8 external dimensions are a bit smaller than the F-10 and internally it is even smaller, due to having two side pockets in addition to the front, back and lid pockets. Only the lid pocket is zipped. This arrangement seems to work well for my basic kit of one E-M5 body and two lenses plus accessories. The only thing I don't like so far is the the two side pockets have an elastic divider which only seems to get in the way. I can foresee a pair of sharp scissors being employed in the not too distant future!

• Like Like x 2
  13. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks a lot John, great pics!

• Like Like x 1
  14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the ruggedwear F6... I like its configuration but to be honest, I wish I had purchased the regular Domke F6. The Ruggedwear versions doesn't seem to have the quality of my older canvas ones. F6 layout is perfect for a full m43 system.

15. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Good point, I'll try and find a model :smile:

I'm not convinced yet either, but I'll withhold judgement until it's been used for a while...

16. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pretty much the difference I see is in the hardware and material. The canvas on the non ruggedwear versions of the bags are much thicker... well known for lasting years and years of use. The ruggedwear material is much thinner... while I cannot say it won't last as long as mine is still relatively new, I it doesn't seem as durable. All in all, still the same design though.

17. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    If the material is significantly thinner then it must also be lighter, a consideration for those trying to keep down the weight as well as the bulk. How durable it is only time will tell but I find I tend to change camera bags well before I wear them out!

18. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    In use, as requested :smile:

8543570743_c7815b37b4_c.

• Like Like x 3
  19. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I have the Domke F10, I am always surprised by how much gear I can fit in.

20. Bill E. Pilgrim

Bill E. Pilgrim Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012
    NE Wisconsin