1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Domke F-10 or F-5XB?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Elson23, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Elson23

Elson23 New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello everyone I just needed a quick opinion... I am in need of a new bag.... I have the Domke F-5XB, but it seems to small to me. My only gear at the current moment is OMD-M5 with grip and a 25mm... but I will be expanding my gear very soon with a couple more lenses. So i was wondering if the F-10 any bigger on the inside then the F-5XB? Just seems to me that the M5 with grip and lens already attached feels very tight on the bag. Thanks in advance for your opinions... :)

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Kind of a mixed bag. The 5XB is actually a half inch longer, an inch thicker (front to back) and an inch shorter in height. I had a 5XB and switched to an F10 and it FELT like a somewhat larger bag, maybe just because of the height - if you lay the camera down on it's back, it'll handle a longer lens. The other dimensions don't seem very different. I like the F10, partly because of it's buckling flap and zip front pocket. But there isn't a big difference in size...

-Ray

3. Elson23

Elson23 New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2013
    Yea I am thinking about returning the F-5XB and getting the F-10 just because not having the zipper to worry about seems a lot more convenient. I like the fact that on the F-10 just has the flap and its open to be able to easily access the gear.

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    The domke F10 is like Doctor Who's tardis, it is bigger on the inside than it is outside, it's only a little bigger than the F-5XB, but it can hold so much more. At the moment my G5 with the 25mm lens sits in the middle, with the P100-300 on one side and the P7-14 & Oly 45 on the other. There's a small zipped pocket on the flap, which can hold memory cards, filters, batteries, cleaning cloths. Then there is that zipped front pocket, again it doesn't look big, but it can hold quite a bit like a flash, gorrila pod tripod, rocket blower and P25 lens hood all at once without difficulty.
    Do get the canvas version as it is tougher than the wax cotton version.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Elson23

Elson23 New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2013
    Does anyone have pictures of there F-10 with gear? Preferably a OMD-M5 gripped :)

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I see what you did there ;-)

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Here's some F-10 thoughts from my blog, with pictures of it with MFT gear: https://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/tag/domke-f-10-ruggedwear/

I'm a big fan of the f-10 for a compact mirrorlsss kit, and would generally wholeheartedly recommend it. The Velcro closure on the flap annoys some people but if this is the case it's easy to buy a patch and effectively seal it off, relying on the clip instead.

My only concern would be that it might be a bit tight depth-wise if you're using the portrait grip. I don't have one so can't check...

As Darren mentions above, avoid RuggedWear with Domke bags - the basic canvas is much better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Elson23

Elson23 New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2013
    I hate to sound stupid but what do you mean by RuggedWear and canvas?

9. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    With most of their classic designs, Domke has two materials: normal canvas and something they call 'RuggedWear', which is basically a light, waxed cotton canvas.

It's sold as being more durable and weather resistant, but from my experience is neither. The standard canvas wears much better.

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    All probably true, but I like the look and feel of their ruggedwear bags more than the canvas ones and I doubt I'd ever keep a bag long enough to really wear it out. And if I manage it, I'd just get another. The ruggedwear is very weather resistant if you wax it periodically - if you don't, it's not at all...

-Ray

11. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Yep :smile:

Incidentally there's a bunch of colours available in regular canvas.