Domke 5xb or TT retro5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Livnius, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Up to this point I have been deluding myself that my backpack would do just fine as a camera bag, I have found it to be a little impractical and now see that a dedicated messenger type camera bag is the better option. To be honest, it was initially the $100+ price tag that put me off...but I have seen the light.

2 bags that have caught my eye, both in terms of features and their appealing 'not a camera bag' look. The Domke f-5xb and the ThinkTank Retrospective 5.

Unfortunately though, no retail outlet in Melbourne that I've called has any stock so I can't see for myself and I have an inherent distrust of eBay descriptions.

I was hoping someone on this forum may have either (or has tried both) and can tell me in real terms their 'user experience' as opposed to some advertising line.

The kit I need it for:

GF1 +vf1
    50/1.4 smc takumar (only occasionally)
    Spare battery
    4 filters + 2 step-up rings
    Lenspen + small microfiber cloth
    Pen + small notepad

Have you got a similar sized kit ?
    How have you managed with your kit and either of the 2 bags mentioned ?

All input much appreciated.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I carry a Domke F10 daily with my GH2, Nokton 25mm, SMC 50/f1.2 and general stuff like wallet, phone, notebook, spare battery and find it very comfortable. It will comfortably fit my 7-14 as well when the need arrives. I think the F10 is a similar size to the F-5xb.

For the GF1 + compact 3-prime kit you mention I'd also look at the F9, which is a little smaller I believe.

Either way, both Domke and TTP (I also own a Streetwalker HardDrive backpack) make excellent quality gear, a step above most brands...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    I love my Domke F-803 bag. I have 2 primary kits I put in it.

m4/3 kit: G3 with attached 14-42mm, Nikon 50mm with adapter, Nissin Di466 flash, 2 filter cases, step-up ring, battery charger. I'll soon be adding a Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and Panasonic 20mm to the kit.

The other use is for my big DSLR kit:
    Nikon D700 with attached Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 HSM. Next to it is a SB-600. Extra battery, lens cloth, charger, and other small things in the front pockets.

In both setups, I can fit my Motorola Xoom tablet in the rear pocket.

It's a great bag that doesn't attract attention. I got it off of eBay for $60 used in good condition.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I echo the above. Domke's are very fast to get into and out of, very comfortable to sling all day long, they'll haul a ton of stuff, very very durable and made in the USA (for an Aussie that doesn't carry a lot of currency, but locally, it's a big deal).

I still have my first Domke purchased in the '70's and it doesn't look a day over 39.

Me and my first Domke (under my left hand).
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    VERY much appreciated responses.
    Thank you.

Gary, being made in the US matters to us Aussies too, perhaps not from a pride perspective which I imagine is a factor for Americans, but simply from a long held (and arguably justifiable) consensus here that an American made product will out perform and out last the equivalent product made in China. And i for one am happy to pay the associated premium.

Will have a look this afternoon at the other options suggested. For what will essentially be my 'about town' gear bag, I am kinda favoring a smaller rather than larger profile.

Thanks again.
  6. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I've got the Domke f-5xb...and I'm in melbourne. I'll sell you mine so I can buy something a little bigger!! hahaha. only kidding, it's a brilliant bag and even if I get something bigger I probably wouldn't sell it.

I've got the ruggedwear version and really like the material. it's kind of like drizabone and they give you a little tin of waterproofing wax stuff which might be a good thing in melbourne.

size wise I think it's good, but it'll be pretty tight with your whole kit. if you only take 2 of your 3 bigger lens (25,45,50) then you'll be ok.

Setup is 3 main sections. centre section will fit EPL2 + lens (14-45 is fine), with VF-2 underneath, and each side section will fit a reasonable size lens standing vertically (your 25 or 45 will fit like this no problem). Depending on the lens' you might get a couple in each side. eg. I fit SMC Tak 2.0 + 14-45 lying horizontal on top of each other.

I put miscellanous bits (batteries, cloth, pen) in a thin pouch/bag (airline sock/toothbrush/eyemask wallet) and keep it in the main compartment between the bag material and the padding. filters could go there too. i don't really use the outer pocket , but I guess this would be ok for notepad.
    • Like Like x 1