Domain Mapping Photo Gallery and Blog

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Replytoken, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am in the process of establishing my photo galleries at Zenfolio, having moved from SmugMug last year. The gallery will serve me two fold. It will be a place where I can showcase a portfolio, as well as specific sets of images. It will also be a place where I can host images that I shoot pro bono for organizations, and where their members can have (locked or open) access to those images. At present I have my domain name pointing directly to the front page of my Zenfolio gallery.

During this last year, I have also been hosting a blog on Wordpress.com on a non-photographic subject. And, as much as I like my photo to speak for themselves, I do find that folks seems to like a small number of images combined with a story, and I would like to try this format instead of just sending people to my galleries at ZF.

So, my questions are two fold. First, should my top level domain route people to my ZF front page or to WP.com? I was thinking the latter, but WP really does take over a bit of control of your domain when you route your it to them. Alternately, I could have a subdomain like blog.mycustomurl.com routed to WP.com with a bit less administrative hassle.

Alternately, ZF has their own internal blogging system, but I am not that familiar with it, and I am familiar with WP.com. I do not want to spread my time and resources, and my audience's attention, too thin, but I also want software tools that work as they should, and WP.com knows blogging. And my ZF home page will have certainly have a link to the blog for those that do not have it bookmarked.

I am not really interested in gaining any large audience (nor am I looking to sell), so SEO issues are not important to me. I am mostly trying to put together a platform where my thoughts and images can be made available to those that wish to follow me (on the blog and possibly in select galleries), and where those that need access to their event images can have easy access (public or private galleries).

--Ken

P.S. I have also been working a an actual show scheduled for this July, and expect to use either the blog and or the gallery to help get work out to those that have expressed an interest in attending. I am due for a 'save the date" announcement" very shortly for the reception, and this first announcement will most likely be electronic. The announcement could go out as a self-contained-email message, but I thought it might also be a good time to shed some light on the ZF galleries and upcoming blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I think I'd recommend starting out by directing a sub-domain to the blog and using the main domain for the ZF site. It seems like a good idea to stick with WP (which knows blogging and does it well) rather than trying to migrate your blog to ZF.

Care to share links?

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Hi Keith,

Thanks for the feedback. That is how things are mostly setup at present, but as I am still putting some meat on the bones of both sites, I am will share the links when there is a bit more to see and comment upon. I have had some significant health challenges these past two years, and a lot of my time and energy that has not been spent healing has been split between taking photos (for some R&R) and blogging to keep my friend, family, and co-workers up to date on my health.

As I am mostly housebound and exhausted these days, I am trying to get my web presence cleaned up as I get ready for my show. I know that you are in the Pacific NW, but am not sure how far you are from Seattle. The show will be in town and up for the entire month of July, health permitting, and I hope to send out more information when I have accomplished a bit more. It seems that everything in life takes longer to accomplish when you do not have your health. but, I try to keep moving forward one step at a time as I can. Thankfully, July 1 is still a ways off! There is still lots to do.

Thanks for your patience,

--Ken

4. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm in Seattle. Columbia City neighborhood in the Rainier Valley to be more specific. I'd love to come out and see your show when you get it together.

Sorry to hear about your health challenges. Hopefully you are on the mend. :smile:

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Ever thought about self-hosting a WordPress setup?

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    We are neighbors. I live in the north end of the city. I will let you know about the show when I finally have something to send out (hopefully soon). And I would be happy to have you visit the show. It is my first of my own work, and I am both excited and nervous. Selecting photos can be challenging, especially when you are given free range for a show theme.

I am still the middle of chemotherapy for my third cancer diagnosis, the second in less than one year, but I have a good prognosis if I can get through treatment without too many side effects. M4/3rd's has been a blessing this past year as I have not had the strength or stamina to haul around my D300 and large glass. It was originally a stop gap measure, but has now become my go to system unless I specifically need the D300 for sports, events, or wildlife.

--Ken

7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Good to hear that your prognosis is positive. I can only imagine (thankfully) just how draining chemo is, though I have watched friends and family go through it.

I can understand the appeal of :43: to you and it's nice to hear that you feel the results are good enough in some situations that it can replace your bigger gear.

Good luck with your health and with putting the show together and definitely keep me in the loop.

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I did give it some thought, but it may require more time than I can devote to keeping things running properly. To a degree, WP.com does make things seems quite easy, but that does come at a price.

--Ken

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the well wishes, Keith. Chemo is the "gift that keeps on giving", and exhaustion is one of those gifts.

Regarding M4/3rd's, I was happily surprised with the quality, so much so that I now have quite a nice set-up that I enjoy using. I still love the D300, but it only comes out for specific use. My "new"E-PL5 and G3 are my favorites when appropriate. I still have my E-PL2 as a backup/spare for guests or shooting in less than ideal conditions.

I will keep you posted about the show. I should be able to get word out some time in mid-April with more details, although I am reconsidering routing my domain to WP.com and having my ZF gallery be a sub-domain. No decisions yet as I go back and forth. :confused: Am I allowed to blame this indecision on "chemo brain"?

--Ken

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^^^^
    Yes Ken, having blamed much on "prednisone brain" due to my own health challenges, I'd say you're well within your right to blame "chemo brain." :wink:

I'd love to attend your show, but I'm more than halfway across the country. I look forward to checking out your blog and photos when you feel ready to share links.

On the health front, I'm sorry you're having to go through this yet again, but I'm glad your prognosis is good and wish you the best. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    :drinks: Welcome to Club Pred!

Too funny! My current chemo cocktail involves extremely high doses of Pred, a drug that I was on and off of for a number of years for another health problem. Each chemo cycle I am taking 100mg./day for five days! I was going to blame Pred, but did not know if anybody here would know of it's reputation. I have blogged a lot about its ability to make you feel "wired and tired".

I am sorry that you will not be able to attend in person, as it will be kind of a multiple celebration, but I will eventually put the show up on a gallery for those who cannot attend, like many a family and friend in Michigan and the greater-Detroit area.

Thanks again for your support, and good luck to you on the health front as well.

--Ken