1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Doing HSS with GH3.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shanguli, Jun 13, 2015.

1. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Hi all,
    I could be wrong, but I was told that the HSS for GH3 is 1/160 which is rather slow, knowing that Canon and Nikon have theirs at 200th & 250th.

Looked into the GH3 Manual, but nowhere I could find any mention of the HSS...
    My main question is, how do I do High speed sync, if I am using the GH3 and Yongnuo 560 IV flash?
    I spent a good 6-7 hours but still could not figure this out. I'd appreciate any insightful advise....

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Firstly, what you're talking about is the standard flash sync speed, not HSS/FP mode. With HSS/FP you can go much higher, way past 1/1000s but you start to lose effective power. Secondly, the YN560s are full manual flashes - they do not support HSS/FP mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Thanks Wjiang, y
    So what you're saying is that I can't do HSS with YN. Then what kind of flash do I need to have to do HSS?
    1-I know HSS = high speed sync, what is "/FP").
    2-Yes I now 1/160th is the Standard flash sync speed, but doesn't it (relate to) /affect the "HSS/FP"?
    3-what kind of flash does HSS/FP with GH3 (Just the Panasonic brand)?

4. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Olympus as well, though I think an ODM produces the same units and the two companies simply brand them.

5. wjiang

FP is focal plane flash, it's just what Olympus, Panasonic and some others call their version of high speed sync.

Normal flash sync speed has no relation to HSS, other than that to use flash and not get partial exposures above the flash sync speed you have to use HSS mode. The higher the better, as it means you don't have the downsides of having to use HSS. Once you go into HSS mode the flash sync speed ceases to matter.

Any 4/3 or m4/3 system flash that supports FP mode should work on the GH3. This includes Olynpus FL-600R, FL-50R, Panasonic FL-360L, FL-580L, Nissin i40 (4/3 version), some Metz units like 52 AF-1 (4/3 version). There might be some others that I haven't listed from those manufacturers.

6. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    Thanks for all your invaluable insights.
    So as you know, the advantage of High speed sync is that if for example your outside in the sun, you can balance the amount of flash output vs. ambient light.

But, as it turns out I can't do High Speed Sync, while I'm shooting with my Yongnuo flashes and Panasonic GH3 combo ):

It's like this: I am outside, and it's a nice and sunny. I want to shoot my subject. So, being sunny I set my Shutter speed to 1/2500th.
    Now I want to shoot the subject with shallow DOF (f/2.8), so to get the background out of focus.... But I'd need to compensate with very fast shutter speed so that the image won't be overexposed.
    So, my shutter speed is 1/3000th. But my subject getting raccoon eyes because of sunny weather, which I'd try to fix with my manual (Yongnuo) flash. But I can't since my GH3 flash sync speed drops to its 1/160th, as soon as I try to use the Yongnuo flash with the GH3. Hence, I get overexposed image.

Since you can't do High Speed Sync (using the GH3 and Manual Yongnuo flash), so to fill in the shadows in the eyes with flash at high speed, what would you do to solve the problem (if the flash and the GH3 is all you got)?

7. wjiang

If that's all you've got, then you're a bit out of luck. Your only real option is to get some ND filters to cut the amount of light...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phillip4x

Phillip4x New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2015
    Does anyone know if you can use the new Yongnuo YN568EXII that supports HSS with a GH3 to do HSS shooting?

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    No, it only supports HSS with a Canon or Nikon body. There is no micro four thirds version currently afaik, which is needed for HSS (it needs to interpret the preflash to meter the scene, without the correct protocol it cannot communicate with the camera).

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    HSS actually fires the flash multiple times during the exposure, since faster shutter speeds are achieved by have the shutter curtains travel together leaving just a small slit for light. The timing has to be exact for it to work, otherwise you get banding.

11. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Actually, iirc, it's Canon-only at this time. The MkII still hasn't come out for Nikon. There is a YN-568EX (MkI) for Nikon that will do HSS/FP flash. Yongnuo gear seems pretty clearly to be reverse-engineered from Canon stuff (e.g., YN-600EX-RT).