1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Doh! You mean aren't supposed to put your thumb on the rear element?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by krugorg, Nov 18, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Okay, somehow I managed to get a partial thumb print (I would be busted for sure if a crime was involved) on the rear element of my Oly 12mm. :eek: After a few f-bombs were dropped, I carefully cleaned the element with a microfiber cloth and a drop or two of Nikon lens cleaning solution. Now, if I look carefully in the right light, I can see a couple very tiny nicks on what appears to be the coating of the element.

I am considering selling this lens (I have already have the 14/2.5 for a walk-around) to help fund a DSLR for landscapes.

My question is whether I should send this back to Oly to get the rear element replaced, or just discount accordingly when I sell (and what would be an appropriate discount)?

2. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Should have also mentioned that one of the nicks is at the very edge of the element and the other is probably 1/3 of way from the edge. Also, I cannot find any impact on image output, but have not exhaustively pixel-peeped yet.

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm not sure a huge discount is necessary...I'm sure any tiny tiny scrapes are purely cosmetic and won't affect IQ. That said, it does continue to affect future resale value (given lots of buyers could care). I dunno, 3-5% off what you would normally price it at? I'd probably take my chances if you showed some full size sample shots and then knocked a few bucks off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I use the olde Kodak Lens Cleaner on occasion when a lens is really dirty, after first having removed the looser particles with a blower. I have never scratched a lens that way, but when you use cleaner you can get streaks that aren't easily removed; it usually takes me a few rounds of breathing on the lens and wiping it with a cotton Q-tip to remove, each time using a fresh tip.

Long story short: don't assume right away that these are scratches. Try to remove them with a lens cloth after slight breathing on the lens. Take care that you blow off any loose dust before you touch the lens with a cloth/Q-tip/whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Lens coatings are very resilient and sometimes what I think are blemishes actually simply require some more elbow grease to remove. Nothing that you do with your finger/nail and a microfibre cloth is going to harm that coating, so get to it! I'd never use a cleaner on my lenses either, some hot breath is all that is needed.

If you want to stop by I'll give it a go for you, I'm down in Savage...if you're in the twin cities of course! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Post a pic maybe. I doubt it's anything serious, and I don't think the cleaning you described caused it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1. Blower - 2. brush - 3. lens cleaning fluid and lens tissue - 4. Lenspen

• Like Like x 1
  8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for the great advice and encouragement - Gotta love this forum! I was being a little too delicate, thinking I was going to ruin the coating with any pressure. I did go back and give it another go, just with the microfiber and a touch more pressure, and, presto, the dot in the middle is now gone. :2thumbs:

I still have the nick on the edge, but now I am not sure if this was from my thumb incident and I am not able to get enough pressure on the edge to clean, or something that came this way from the factory. Here is an image - the mark is top center:

[​IMG]

There are some other cosmetic issues on this lens (e.g. a couple nicks on the outside of the barrel), so I am leaning towards listing with a decent discount.

Appreciate the offer, I may have to take you up on that sometime. =) We need a mu-43 Twin Cities meetup... I am over in Woodbury, so may need to meet in the DMZ (at the river)!