1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dogma 12

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Akvavit, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Akvavit

Akvavit Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2012
    Dublin
    As a dane I have for many years loved the "Dogme 95" concept - and after some thought I have decided to make 2012 a Dogme year.

This will also be in regards to my new found love for photography - thanks to my new little E-PM1 - but I will need a set of rules, hope you guys can kick in some additional suggestions to the list I have come up with so far:

1. No post processing on computer
    2. No scene mode - art filter is allowed
    3. No "iAUTO"
    4. No new lenses - used/vintage allowed
    5. Natural light only
    6. JPEG only - any format allowed

I bet I have missed something that would make this even more challenging (for a somewhat novice - Dogme 13 will be harder!)

If any of you have any tips, I would love to hear them - e.g. must have used/vintage lenses, links to others doing something similar for inspirations etc.

2. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    well, if you want it to be like the dogme films, then make sure to choose extremely depressing subject matter-- the dogme films I saw were incredible and great films, but I just don't take enough antidepressants to deal with one very often--

that aside, in general I support your idea for the photography

I love old lenses myself and am slowly building a collection I hope to use for many years on various camera bodies-- I remind myself that, other than aging eyes, there is no reason I should not be able to manual focus now if I did so in the 1980's

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I would say cropping and the use of art filters would be in violation of the concept.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree cropping is not allowed either. I should think it would be something like this...

- Shoot in full manual mode
    - Legacy glass (and no switching lenses)
    - No post processing of any kind
    - Shoot in BW
    - Available light

Sounds fun...I'd sign on

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Available light only

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Tisk, tisk. The Dogme dogma says shoot in color. B&W is an abstraction.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Interesting. B&W or color. Either way. I'd also like to see ambient light, no cropping.

But, if you shoot in color, does that mean "natural" mode only, with no adjustments to sharpness, etc.? Does it also mean jpg only?

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    While I get the point, the idea of no post processing, while doing in-camera jpeg conversions, is somewhat silly, since a jpeg conversion by defintion "post-processing." You're just substituting the camera maker's software author for your own judgement. In many cases, what the in-camera jpeg engine sees isn't going to be the same as what you saw. But raw, even if you just accept your raw processor's defaults (which would be a bad idea in most cases), always involved some conversion, and assumptions about what to do.

Frankly, I think the no cropping thing is silly, too. The idea that every scene and subject works at 4:3 is naive. Leaving extraneous area in a photo simply because the sensor happens to be a fixed format isn't the way to learn to make stronger images.
    Movie makers have no choice: they can't crop. But they also have far more control over the scene they're shooting, and can arrange elements to fit the fixed format. Most of us don't have that luxury.

But in the spirit of the game, I'd suggest choosing one fixed focal length lens and stick with it. No zooms, no changing lenses. Goes along with the no cropping theme.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was thinking "no cropping" as in you have to get the scene right the first time, which seems to be the essence of the original challenge. Whether you shoot in 4:3, 3:2, 1:1, 16:9 or whatever, just no cropping after the fact. Get it right the first time. JMO

10. Akvavit

Akvavit Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2012
    Dublin
    Wow, I am amazed about the amount of feedback from you guys - much appreciated!

Some of the suggestions you have put on the table, instantly made me think about The Five Obstructions :thumbup:

I am quite torn on some of the things brought up - but i think this is how my mind currently set:

Natural light > flash etc
    JPEG > RAW

I am very thorn on the B&W vs. Color though, not sure if I want to choose one over the other - need to give that some thought.

As still quite a novice, I think I will refrain from full auto - that must be a Dogma 13 for me.

I will remove cropping from the allowed list, but instead allow myself to shoot in both 4:3 and 16:9

The idea was not to follow the rules they made for Dogma 95, but instead make a set of rules that I had to adhere to throughout 2012 - but with the red thread that as little "magic" as possible would be at my disposal.

I am by no means a great photographer, but I think/hope that by setting up these obstructions for myself, I will need to try and think outside the box to some extend.

11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I have found the no-cropping rule is one of the best ways to improve your photography. It forces you into really working the situation. Life has no particular format: you are simply framing within those constraints (and any frame is arbitrary so why not use the one you have). You really need to be aware of everything in the frame and able to make a complete image at that moment. Format then becomes a creative choice. Besides, you don't have a large image area and you should make the most of it: things change when you crop. Many great photographers have work with this constraint and you cannot claim they are making weak images.

Cropping is not bad, but it can become an afterthought and when you leave the location/situation, it is too late to do anything.

Attached Files: