DOF/shooting wide open in Landscape

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All at f1.8 or close.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Wide open landscape can work but the foreground has to have interest in it such as a gnarly old tree or post with moss. This gives you a "story" of a small (ish) thing living in a large world.
Brian

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Some oddly rigid thinking above. Personally I find shallow DOF interesting in landscapes occasionally. Perhaps being shortsighted means I can relate to this perspective of the world. In any case, I sometimes appreciate how removing sharpness and fine detail can accentuate shape and colour.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Yes if you are shooting wide open otherwise there is no point to the blurry out of focus mess you are left with. I find foreground often takes away the grandeur of scenes. I recently saw a set of images where the excessive use of foreground completely dominated the magnificent cliffs and seascapes that should have been the focus of the pictures. Just my opinion, of course, it's all in the mind of the beholder.
Brian

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Yes if you are shooting wide open otherwise there is no point to the blurry out of focus mess you are left with. I find foreground often takes away the grandeur of scenes. I recently saw a set of images where the excessive use of foreground completely dominated the magnificent cliffs and seascapes that should have been the focus of the pictures. Just my opinion, of course, it's all in the mind of the beholder.
Brian
Agreed, we all have different preferences.

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
Brian
You can also have blured-out foreground as a frame for main subject further back. Or... Or... Or... Thousand people, million likings. ;-)

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
You can also have blured-out foreground as a frame for main subject further back. Or... Or... Or... Thousand people, million likings. ;-)
Indeed, but we were talking specifically about the posted pictures. You are correct about opinions as I said earlier.
Brian

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Background is blurred intentionally in above cases. An idea, or a goal, and in those cases also an improvement over what was a dull sky on imperfect conditions for far landscape. The subjects are paths that lead from or into those blurred background. I'll take a few images like that whenever I go just for general mood. Most of them then come out poorly, and are never used. Sometime I like what I get.

As for general bokeh on landscape discussion, I'm quite indifferent. It's a tool. Once I'll use it, the other time I won't. Normally I'll try and look so I've a hint of blur in the immediate foreground, sharp subject, and maybe a hint of blur on background as well. All to lead eyes a little. It also depends on lenses, light and situation, but for the most time I'm really conservative. Negative about this approach is that I'll occasionally come up with photographs where I really will miss focus on a great opportunity, as one of the below will surely justify.

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wait, so why were last images moved into new thread and the other remained in 25mm f1.8? I had no plan going offtopic with my post, I just wrote something along, as the discussion was about it.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
It is an area I have intentions to explore, I have dabbed with the "working title" Landscape or Nature portraits. I think it gives away my line of thought on the topic. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom