DOF Calculator for Micro Four Thirds Lens Settings

davidnjones

New to Mu-43
I"m confused.
When using a DOF Calculator, do I use the M4/3 Lens mm or the Full Frame equivalent MM
Example:
I chose sensor size in settings.
Using a Panasonic 25 mm lens, do I enter 25 mm for the lens or do I enter 50mm (ff equivalent)?
Thanks.

Phocal

God
I"m confused.
When using a DOF Calculator, do I use the M4/3 Lens mm or the Full Frame equivalent MM
Example:
I chose sensor size in settings.
Using a Panasonic 25 mm lens, do I enter 25 mm for the lens or do I enter 50mm (ff equivalent)?
Thanks.

if it has a spot to select sensor size you enter the actually focal length of the lens...........in this case 25mm

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
if it has a spot to select sensor size you enter the actually focal length of the lens...........in this case 25mm
And if it doesn't have a way of entering sensor size, find another DOF calculator :)

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
or just double the focal length

I think you missed the point, That only works for FF. The calculator could easily be set up for 1", aps-c, or even medium format sensor sizes.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I have an App on my phone called just "DOF Calculator" it has a setting for sensor size or system as Micro FourThirds.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
If you use something like the "PhotoPills" phone app you enter in your camera then just select the native lens length for the camera no conversion needed

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Please do note when using a DoF calculator on the internet that these generally calculate too much DoF for 2 reasons:

1. They generally use the simplified DoF formula, which does not take FL into account in all parameters, and calculates (a little) too much DoF to start with. Not really a problem for middle to long distance, but there may be a more significant difference at shorter distances.

2. The standards for DoF were based on the technology of 1930, literally. A human eye generally sees much more detail than it would according to the standards used back then, defined as a maximum allowable distinguishable feature of 0.01 inch. This means that an item was supposed to be within DoF if on an 8 x 10 inch print viewed from a distance of 10 inch it shows a smallest distinguishable feature of 0.01 inch. Human eye acuity with 20/20 vision is approximately 3X better than that, making perceived DoF only about 1/3 of "calculated" DoF.

Example for point 2 using the extended DoF formula, focus distance 2 meters, 25 mm lens, aperture F/2:

a) Standard DoF calculation, using the full formula (which will give you a comparison against DoF calculators on the internet)
DoF start: 1.814 m
DoF end: 2.229 m
Total DoF: 0.415 m

b) DoF calculation based on 20/20 vision, using the full formula
DoF start: 1.934 m
DoF end: 2.071 m
Total DoF: 0.137 m

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Picking up on what @wimg posted above, I have found that the free TrueDoF-Intro app (iOS, not sure about Android) does not overestimate the depth of field, and the estimated numbers match well to what I see in my images.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Picking up on what @wimg posted above, I have found that the free TrueDoF-Intro app (iOS, not sure about Android) does not overestimate the depth of field, and the estimated numbers match well to what I see in my images.
Thanks, that is good to hear. I had all but given up on online DoF-calculators and apps.
I ended up implementing this in a spreadsheet :).

BTW, for reference, here is an article/tutorial on DoF (and diffraction) for reference, by one of the experts:
Depth of field and diffraction

Kind regards, Wim

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
You also need to be able to input the "Circle of confusion" measurement. Without that, you are going to end up with confusing limits depending on the final output size.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
DOF (zone of acceptable sharpness) is a visual thing, if your camera has a Depth Of Field preview or Live View (M4/3 should be full time Live View only) you should be able to "see" it in the EVF or on the LCD. In approximately 33 years of professional involvement in photography I've never evel looked at a depth of field calculator.

I've managed Depth Of Field with sheetfilm view cameras, 120 rollfilm cameras, both SLR (Hasselblad, Mamiya RB67) and modular press cameras, and of course 35mm film gear.

I don't deal with numbers, I work with visuals.

Suburbian

Mu-43 Regular
I've never even looked at a depth of field calculator.

Almost 50 years in photography and my own depth of field sure needs calibrating, I'll promise you that one. However I have looked at all sorts of paper charts, and then thrown them aside and mainly because I couldn't find my glasses because I forgot to bring them or couldn't remember where I put them, even though I'm told time and time again I need to be like Ms. Bee the librarian and have one of those necklace things.... so my point is this, the difference between young and old is ...young aren't experienced and old people forget everything they've learned, so nothing. The difference between good and average is a direct relationship to how well you can wing it or fly by the seat of your pants...and that just requires practice, so use whatever you have now until your confident you want to be good.... ? No matter how well you plan, devine intervention happens and all science goes out the window .... practice techniques, all of them are worth it (unfortunately our genetics decree, devices are necessary) my .00002 of a Bitcoin

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom