1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does your EM5 mode dial wobble?`

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HarryS, Mar 20, 2015.

1. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Mine wobbles. A light press and it tilts. Associated with that is an intermittent problem where the mode dial will flicker back to P when set to A. This will kick the camera out of a menu, review, magnify, or SCP screen. Pressing the dial often does the same.

While spinning the mode dial seems to quiet down the bug, it seems to occur whenever I want to do a fast settings change. Am fed up with that and plan to send it in for repair next week, although I hope they aren't going to just pull off the dial and spray contact cleaner down the shaft for my $165.

2. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Mine wobbled and eventually fell off. Fortunately I found it and stuck it back on with a small piece of double-sided tape. That lasted a month or two, then it fell off again. Surprisingly, I found it, and glued it back on with Shoe Goop. No issue since, although I keep a close eye on it.

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    If you're feeling brave, do what (sadly) many of us have had to do with the rear control dial and superglue it back on. I did that when mine fell off nearly a year ago and have had no further issues! :)

We shouldn't have to glue parts of $1,000 cameras back on, but it sure beats paying Olympus nearly $200 to fix problems that shouldn't be there in the first place! :)

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    It hasn't fallen off. Otherwise, I'd glue it. The whole dial just wiggles on its axle. Is the cover plastic over metal?

The problem is the electrical function of the dial is compromised.

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Ahhh...gotcha. I'm not sure about that dial, but the other dials are plastic over plastic. Underneath the knobs that fall off are dial discs that you can turn...so technically you can still change settings with the dial off (though it's hard because they're smooth). I'd imagine the mode dial is similar, but I could be wrong.

6. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Mine wobbles slightly, but I rarely put downward/upward pressure on the dial like that. Doesn't feel too strong, that's for sure.

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I was ready to pack it up yesterday morning and send it for repair. If set to A or P, it would flip between A or P regardless of what the dial said. However, if I rotate the dial once, it calms down, so I did too. I'll won't send it in yet.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    It's depressing to hear about this, it means we're all sitting on a potential time bomb for yet another dial to stop working. If this happened to a car there would be a recall with rectification at the manufacturers expense, irrespective of how old the product is. It should be the same here, Olympus should do the right thing and send out a recall notice and apply remedial action. They've probably got a dodgy batch of components, but if it's dodgy by design it's unforgivable. The USA is the place for litigation, its a pitty someone doesn't do something.