1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does your EM5 LCD cover crack again after repaired?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rogergu, Jan 1, 2014.

1. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    My EM5 LCD cover crack again after repaired. I am wondering if anyone has seen the same? I kind of feel it may be a design issue - the LCD frame is too thin rather than a quality control issue, so may be not worth bothering to repair again.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I haven't bothered to repair in the first place (both of mine were cracked), and the one time I sold an E-M5 (which I later bought again), disclosing the crack did not seem to have any effect on selling price.

At this point I think it's probably the case that most of them are cracked. Since it's not noticeable, doesn't affect value for sale, and according to Olympus is only a cosmetic issue, it's not worth the bother to me.

• Like Like x 5
  3. I had my screen frame replaced a few months ago when I had to send my E-M5 in for a warranty repair on the viewfinder. I use the flip out screen a LOT and I had the fine cracks around the two outer screws. What I noticed when I got the camera back is that the two outer screws seem to have some extra reinforcement. It may be that I simply don't remember seeing them on the old screen but I don't think that the reinforcement was there previously. Maybe someone with an early E-M5 that hasn't had the screen replaced can confirm this. My E-M5 is an early build model from April 2012.

IMG_6808_zps140f94f5.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    This is an interesting thread and good timing. Was just thinking about sending in both our EM-5s for repair.
    Is it worth it? Do they change the whole screen? Or just the frame?
    How long did it take until you got your camera back?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I sent my em5 in for the crack a month ago, the only part they changed is the bezel, they also clean the sensor and camera, they done it in 1day (not included the time of both way shipping).

They didn't do anything with the firmware (I got the latest 1.7), settings or reset the shutter count.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Just checked my EM-5 and there is a crack in the bazel as well (under the middle srew). This is really sad as I own this camera for only 7 months and didn't use flip screen that much at all :(

So now my question is whether that's something I should be concerned about? What will happen if I simply ignore the situation? Will it get any worse? Does the Olympus actually fix the problem or they simply change the bazel which will eventually crack again in the future. I don't want to go into warranty repair at all. My last warranty repair of the lens lasted for 62 days! I just cannot afford to stay without the camera for so long.

PS - just went through this thread again and saw Amin saying there is nothing to really bother about. If it is only a cosmetic issue and my LCD won't crack in pieces then I will live with it :)

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    about to send mine in, when i can finally get home from travelling for work, ugh ugh ugh
    but really only sending it in due to the sticky shutter at fast speeds issue.. the cracked bezel is just a bonus fix.. id never send it in JUST for that, and i have plenty of back up cameras to use, so its not a "i wouldnt have a camera" issue.. its just that the crack is a non issue issue ;)

8. Dramaturg

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I still wonder whether the crack affects camera in any way. What about wheather sealing? It seems that moisture can easily get in through the crack. Also does it grow?

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Dramaturg

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Thank you, Amin. Glad it doesn't affect weather sealing. Would have to live with it, perhaps. But will keep an eye on the crack. Olympus services in this part of the world are very poor and take too long.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Big thanks for posting that in this thread. I think I'd checked my s/n back in April, but I did so again. The end of the range identified by Olympus for black EM-5s is BEJ504916. Mine is BEJ5052x, just over a hundred outside the range. So far, so good. :smile:

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Mine cracked again, though I only sent mine in for non-warranty repairs. I didn't mention it and it came back fixed. I didn't mention it mostly because I forgot, heh.

13. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    So you're saying with the reinforced cover, it still cracked, the same way? How did warranty process go for you the second time round?