Does your 100/300mm 'click' when zoomed? Help!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by henryrym, May 22, 2012.

1. henryrym

henryrym Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    Just testing out a very little used Panny 100/300mm.

On zooming from 300 to 100mm, I hear a little 'click' when going through 200mm. Going from 100 to 300mm the lens zooms smoothly, as you'd expect it to. It isn't the zoom un-smoothness you get with some (cheaper?) zooms, but a definite stop, 'click' and jump at 200mm. Doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be of concern.

Your comments please, as all my other Panasonic lens zoom smoothly and perfectly - reminds me of a cheap and cheerful Canon ef 55-200mm that disintegrated after clicking away that I used to own!

I'm worried that this one might also stop working properly soon. Frustrating, as optically it's pretty good. Should I accept this lens or return to sender?

Thanks
    Henry

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't have any "clicking" on mine, but I did put up a post yesterday about the zoom being "sticky" after 200mm. The consensus from other users was it was normal, and would loosen up over time. No one mentioned any clicking, though, and I don't hear it on mine.

Sorry.

3. henryrym

henryrym Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    No 'stickiness', but a definite 'click' - I've had zooms that require more effort at certain points, usually when zooming towards the telephoto range. In this case, it 'clicks' going to the wider angle end, where I imagine there is less strain on the mechanism.

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I've never had any click, stick but no click for me, and it seems odd that you have click but no stick.