Does u43 require a beefy tripod?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kponds, Apr 18, 2013.

1. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Just wondering, I'm very new to :43: , switched over from DSLR. I have a monster manfrotto that's humongous and heavy, and I'm wondering if that's really necessary anymore? Should I downsize? I would be getting something like a mefoto, or benro travel angel.

With a lighter camera, it would make sense that you need a lighter duty tripod. But on the other hand, a heavier camera has got to stabilize the tripod a lot more than a light weight camera.

I'm using native prime lenses only, on the OM-D, if that matters.

2. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    With M4/3, you can get away with lighter and smaller tripods since the cameras and lenses weigh less. Using a heavier tripod shouldn't be any worse other than using a lighter tripod other than having to carry around extra weight. A heavier tripod would probably help stabilize the camera though.
  3. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    My 2 c:

In perfect conditions eg. no wind, indoors and no vibration any Tripod will be ok as long as it takes the weight of your kit and does not topple over.

If windy or vibrations present etc then the heavier the better or materials like carbon fibre to absorb vibrations are important. Weight of the camera will make any tripod top heavy. Attaching a bag to a hook of the center column will add stability and lower center of gravity making a tripod more stable.

Head just as important as the tripod to maintain the camera position. Attachment of head to camera also important to maintain camera position.
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not knowing which Manfrotto model you have it is hard to suggest a lighter set of sticks. It is better to have too heavy a tripod than too light of one. It also depends on where and how you are using it. If you are hiking it into remote areas then that would be different than a set you take to an event.

I do recommend you weigh your camera and your heaviest lens together and then add an extra pound. Use that number and find a tripod that can support it but is lighter than your current tripod. You did not mention budget so if money is not a factor go for carbon fiber{best strength to weight ratio available}.
  5. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    I've looked into tripods for m43. It's something I can't bring myself to go cheap on; it's something I plan to buy once and keep forever. I have limited opportunities to try before I buy so have to rely on the Internet for research. I've decided on a Gitzo Traveler.
  6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    i'd say go for the beefy ones, it really helps hold against the wind and vibration.
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Depends. I sold my Manfrotto alum leg tripod because it was big, heavy, and thus useless because it stayed home. My RedGed (similar to the Travel Angel) CF tripod was sturdy enough to shoot my 5D mark II with a 100-400 attached, certainly in low wind, and doubly so with the camera bag attached to the center hook. Little low, but I often find eye level shots are not the most interesting in terms of composition, and have no issue squatting down.

With the E-M5, the tilt screen means I really don't care whether the tripod is fully extended at all and can remain standing just fine.
  8. Stringer

Stringer New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    I use the Gitzo Mountaineer GT1540G, holds a good weight and very stable when using,
    Use with a Inuro head BHD (.4 KG)
    Only weights in at 1.25 KG
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    My experience with these cameras and DSLR's is that because µ4/3 cameras have no moving mirror, smaller, lighter: shutters, bodies & lenses. The tripod can be scaled down the same as the camera gear is. The only thing that doesn't scale is your finger; use a remote release so you aren't touching the camera. (Electronic, cable releases for Olympus cameras are very cheap on Amazon). Olympus cameras also have an anti-shock setting that cuts down on shutter vibration, but adds a small delay to the shutter release.
  10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    It all depends on the lens you are using. Last week I mounted my Nikkor Reflex (500mm f/8) on the OM-D and the whole system wanted to vibrate significantly, so I had to damp the vibrations with my hand. The next time I use that lens I will use my Gitzo GT3541L and there will be NO problem.

11. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    ^^^^^^ That's the key point. I've spent a lot more time working out the right tripod *head* for any given lens than I have for the right tripod. My Bogen 3001 is fine for long exposures with the 20mm etc. But I had to get a Manfrotto gimbal head for big, heavy lenses and our spotting scope (which we often use with a camera attachment).
  12. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I have a Gitzo 1541T and it works great. I have used it on much larger systems with great results. Never had a 500 on it though. :). Great for travel too.
  13. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I find that carbon fibre tripods vibrate less than aluminum in general.
  14. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    After I sold my Nikon gear I tossed my heavy Manfrotto in the closet and finally purchased a very light and very stable Gitzo / RRS combo for my smaller and lighter m4/3 kit. I paid good money for it, but I can't imagine going back to a heavy tripod to carry around in town or in the mountains, and I was sick of dealing with instability in the cheaper alternatives I tried. Details on my kit are in my signature.
  15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Cheap, light, good. Pick any two.

The appropriate tripod has little to do with the weight of the camera and a lot to do with the focal length of the lens.

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have the Travel Angel and find it fine, but sometimes have to be mindful if he center column is extended and in heavy wind hang my bag from the hook.

The Gitzo might be more stable, but for 2-3x the price, I can't justify it.
  17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    The longer the focal length, the sturdier the tripod & head needs to be, but in proportion to the weight of it all too.

Going too cheap with a plastic head is definitely too cheap for stability.
  18. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Having a M34 gives you more options depending on the situation. If you are using a telephoto lens such as the Panny 35-100 mm ,the lens is fairly heavy and the lens is heavy on the front end. Your present tripod will work fine. If you are using it indoors ,say in a museum where the light is low and you don't want people tripping over your tripod or in any way making a fuss, you can use a cheap zip tripod which folds down to about 2 feet. Use a fast light 20/25 or 45mm mm lens and don't sweat the ISO.Leave it at 160/200. Then you can use the touch screen,the time delay,cable release or electronic release.
    This will enable you to get very sharp low light pictures. You could not use this tripod with a full sized camera. Another thing you can do is hoist your camera over your head on the tripod and take pictures over walls ,tall people or other obstructions. Look in the tilt mirror and fire the camera with a cable release. I have used this at the zoo.
  19. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013

yeah I understand that big rigs are required for telephoto -- both to support the lens and the fact that vibration gets exacerbated with longer focal lengths.

im not too much of a telephoto person myself, in fact the longest lens that I have for m43 is the 45mm. i may end up picking up a cheap 40-150 if I find this too limiting, but when i had a telephoto zoom on my DSLR setup, i never used it.

so i may end up downsizing to a travel angel or that redged one. the manfrotto 055XPROB setup that I have is just a beast.

now if I can just find out how to activate mirror lockup, I've been looking thru the menus for hours! :eek:
  20. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL