Does this mean 5-axis image stabilization will be coming to more olympus cameras?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by DanCar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    From description in the article it looks that they have implemented additional 2 axis via software manipulation on the sensor during video recording.
    They just ride the OMD 5 axis for the marketing hype. This is a traditional 3 axis with a video twist unlike the OMD which is an expensive real 5 axis implementation.

2. DanCar

DanCar New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    Wow, nice insight! Thanks so much!!!

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Still, I do hope it shows up in more :43: cameras. :cool:

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Bob it will show up in more Olympus cameras. The question will it show up in medium range such as the EP3 placement.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Traditional was 2 axis' not 3. The Oly SH50 adds the rotational correction to that of the OM-D to the existing 2 axis', as quoted "Advanced 3-axis (pitch, yaw, lens axis rotation) sensor-shift IS is activated during normal still photography." The video is with "its hybrid 5-axis IS system (combining both sensor shift and video-optimised digital stabilisation to compensate for camera shake in the horizontal and vertical translational directions)." It does not sound as good as the OM-D but obviously better than previous offerings.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That's the one I'm looking for. I love the look and feel of my E-P3. It would be great to have the new sensor and the 5 axis. :cool:

7. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    It may be higher tech to have fake 5 axis, but the industrial designers must be still off on vacation because that is one ugly compact camera, Oly! Or they let the interns design this camera while the veterans are off working on the E-H7! (The hybrid supercamera)

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Honestly, I don't know why they didn't include it in the latest pen minis and lites.

9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    They did not put it in EPM2 and EPL5 because they use a Sony sensor and they need to differentiate them from the OMD. Even in the slogan level, a limited 5 axis IBIS will get them too close to the OMD.

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I understand that, but then putting a "better" IBIS in the point and shoot line seems a little off to me.

It kinda reminds me of when auto companies were putting the latest tech feature in the premium trim of a midsize car, then a month later make it a standard option in the compact car.

11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    We have to see the reviews if it a better IBIS. It might be just a marketing bulb with no added value.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It will have added value with the rotational correction if nothing else.