Does this bag exist?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@demiro Ran across this one on Amazon which comes in two sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/XINCADA-Messenger-Shoulder-Crossbody-Business/dp/B072LYKVKB/ref=sr_1_55_sspa?keywords=small+man+satchel&qid=1563644252&s=gateway&sr=8-55-spons&th=1

The large one is Size: 9.44x4.53x12.2 inches which puts in about the same class as the Nutsack in that is is just about large enough for a notebook or magazine but instead of only a couple inched deep (front to back) it is a tad over 4.5". However there is a decent sized front pocket so I assume the 4.5" includes that pocket as well, but still probably leaves ~4" in the main compartment. Best part it is only $32.

Checks off a lot of your boxes: Canvas, top handle, & zippered pockets. Unfortunates it looks like the main shoulder strap is not removable. However it has nice metal rectangular anchors that the strap is sewed onto, so you could always cut off the shoulder straps and then add a different strap with clips (Amazon sells a number of them for under $10). Another drawback I see is the big flap covers the smaller front section and not over the main compartment zipper, so that zipper is exposed from the tip.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
You can use almost any bag if you encase your camera in a neoprene soft-pouch, like those from OpTech USA: Digital D-Series - Soft Pouch for Cameras | OP/TECH USA
The disadvantages are that the padding is minimal and it takes a little time to deploy, but it also provides some weather protection and takes up minimal space. I used one with my EM10 II and 12-32, plus 45 f1.8 in a separate pouch, on a recent trip. Put it in my work backpack in transit, then in a packable sling bag for walkabout.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I wasn't picturing a vertical oriented bag, but that might work.
Ya the vertical orientation makes it look a bit more "purse like". The problem with most horizontal orientation bag they tend to be larger courier/messenger style or laptop use and a lot bigger than you may have been looking for. I think that is where the Nutsac probably draws most of its interest with daily bags that are about the same footprint as a standard 8x11 notebook for guys who want a small man-bag but not a large bulky messenger bag for only a few smaller things and might be put off by backpacks/bookbags.

Looks nice but unless it expands, <4" inside is tight for a camera with lens mounted, especially if you want to use an insert or other padding.
True, but when I read his original post, I read it that he wasn't looking for a camera bag but instead was looking for a man-purse for daily odds & ends but at least wide enough to be able to drop in his E-M5 with a small prime mounted. Would work better with an E-M10 series, but his E-5 series with a prime may fit although tightly.

EDIT: if you watch the promotional video on that page of the bag, it looks like the get a lot of stuff in there and judging by the pile of books and thermos, most of the 4.5 inches looks to be in the main compartment. Also toward the end they have a model wearing the bag to give you an idea of size perspective to a man. Looks pretty good. I might be tempted to pick one up as my "work briefcase" to transport stuff between work and home.

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ya the vertical orientation makes it look a bit more "purse like". The problem with most horizontal orientation bag they tend to be larger courier/messenger style or laptop use and a lot bigger than you may have been looking for. I think that is where the Nutsac probably draws most of its interest with daily bags that are about the same footprint as a standard 8x11 notebook for guys who want a small man-bag but not a large bulky messenger bag for only a few smaller things and might be put off by backpacks/bookbags.

True, but when I read his original post, I read it that he wasn't looking for a camera bag but instead was looking for a man-purse for daily odds & ends but at least wide enough to be able to drop in his E-M5 with a small prime mounted. Would work better with an E-M10 series, but his E-5 series with a prime may fit although tightly.

EDIT: if you watch the promotional video on that page of the bag, it looks like the get a lot of stuff in there and judging by the pile of books and thermos, most of the 4.5 inches looks to be in the main compartment. Also toward the end they have a model wearing the bag to give you an idea of size perspective to a man. Looks pretty good. I might be tempted to pick one up as my "work briefcase" to transport stuff between work and home.
In the reviews/Q&A on Amazon there is this comment about the medium bag:
I have the medium bag and I think a camera body and a small lens would fit just fine...I can get water bottle and rain jacket in mine...DD

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You can use almost any bag if you encase your camera in a neoprene soft-pouch, like those from OpTech USA: Digital D-Series - Soft Pouch for Cameras | OP/TECH USA
The disadvantages are that the padding is minimal and it takes a little time to deploy, but it also provides some weather protection and takes up minimal space. I used one with my EM10 II and 12-32, plus 45 f1.8 in a separate pouch, on a recent trip. Put it in my work backpack in transit, then in a packable sling bag for walkabout.
I have an OpTech pouch for my camera, which I think would be ample protection for my use-case.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Tom Bihn makes a wide variety of bags with high quality materials and construction. I have a Medium Cafe Bag and a Maker's Bag that I use as an EDC work bag. TOM BIHN - Travel Bags - Laptop Bags - Backpacks - Totes

Someone also suggested Greenroom136, if you don't mind ordering from Malaysia. greenroom136
Problem with those, based on @demiro 's requirements, is all are nylon construction? I am in agreement with him that nylon is kind of cheap looking or at least "unfashionable". ;)

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
I've been there and done that with a house. It is a bit of a nightmare. But a bag is infinitely more simple. While nothing is perfect, if the Domke F8 had a magnetic closure and zippers on the pockets I'd be more than satisfied.
If it is that close then I have an idea that worked on an anniversary gift for my wife. Since you did not make mention of money as an object.

Find a seamstress on Etsy and message them with a link to the bag. Ask them if they would do those two mods. Get the bag shipped to them and when they are done they will post it as a custom Etsy item for you to buy.

This worked for me but don't try it unless you won't get heart burn about the cost. I wouldn't have tried this normally except that it has become hard to find a seamstress local to me. It worked out well in the end and I didn't have any problems myself.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If it is that close then I have an idea that worked on an anniversary gift for my wife. Since you did not make mention of money as an object.

Find a seamstress on Etsy and message them with a link to the bag. Ask them if they would do those two mods. Get the bag shipped to them and when they are done they will post it as a custom Etsy item for you to buy.

This worked for me but don't try it unless you won't get heart burn about the cost. I wouldn't have tried this normally except that it has become hard to find a seamstress local to me. It worked out well in the end and I didn't have any problems myself.
I did say <$150 in my first post. But that is always negotiable, isn't it? :)

Funny thing is that after PakkyT suggested a "vertical" bag I realized that I could just grab one of several "discarded to the storage area" packs we have that would work, more or less. Trying that now. Doesn't check all the boxes, of course.

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Domke F-5Xz or F-9/10. The 5Xzmay be too big, but the F-9/10 don't have removable straps. I'm using the F-9 for my E-M1.2 and 2/3 lenses.
Not sure why I didn't look at the F9 and 10 before. I just ordered the F9. Not perfect, of course, but checks enough boxes to give it a shot. I can silence the velcro and might add magnets. The fact that the smaller pocket has a zipper pushed me over the edge. If it doesn't work out you'll see it in the Buy/Sell section! Thanks David, and to everyone that made suggestions.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So the F9 arrived yesterday. I slid (tightly) my E-M5 + 25/1.8 in, looked at it, and thought "too small". I'm blaming that on my cultural bias as an America, around the "bigger is better" zeitgeist.

But I gathered up all the crap I'm likely to carry around - phone, wallet, keys, mints, charging cable, eye drops, glasses (in a case), airpods...I think that's it. It all fits. Not much room left over, but that is OK.

The bag seems like a keeper to me. Have to use it for a while to validate, but I'm optimistic. I have velcro on order to block out the sort of ridiculously large strip on this small bag, as well as some magnets. I think I can affix the magnets to the bottom ring that strap clips to. We'll see how well that works out.

The other nice thing is that this bag will work well for body and 2 to 3 lenses.

Thanks again for the help!

Given the variety of crap that I carry on a daily basis I'm ready to take the plunge on a man-purse. I'm looking for a small bag that is primarily an every day carry. That will usually include a camera and lens (E-M5 mk2 + small prime).

Must be canvas or rugged-wear type material. No nylon or similar. No leather. Those are deal breakers. Also must have a carry handle.

I'd like as many of the following as possible, in order of priority: magnetic closure for main flap; 8 x 7 x 4" size (ballpark); zippered accessory pockets; price point under $150; removable strap.

I was ready to buy a Thinktank Retro 5, but still searching for something that checks all the boxes. I really like the Nutsac Mag-Satch, but it is too narrow. Also considering a cheap canvas shoulder bag + camera bag insert, but they tend to be longer than I want and not quite wide enough. I like the Domke F8, but not the loud velcro, metal clips or open pockets.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Troop London canvas across body bag
This is proving to be as well made and indestructible as my 40 year old Billingham bag.
I can fit in my EM5ii and a couple of primes.
It has a zippered Base and sides so it expands if needed.
It is so well made, beautifully lined inside, great quality leather details, fantastic proper thick canvas.

I can't speak highly enough of it. And compared to a 'camera bag' it is dirt cheap.

I got the neutral/beigey/light brown one.

It has converted me to a 'man bag' person. Normal in continental Europe, but weird here in the UK outside of central London.

I even use it when I don’t have a camera in it!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom