Does there exist a reasonably priced 12 or 13mm MF lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jhob, Nov 27, 2010.

1. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I would quite like to add something at the wide end to my lens line-up and was wondering if there was an adapted lens around 12/13mm that I could use on my GF1. I can imagine that any in this sort of range would be hideously expensive so I'm not expecting there to be anything but would welcome someone showing me that I'm wrong!
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Once corrected for vignetting the Voigtlander 12mm, f/5.6 works rather well with my GF1, however it probably falls outside of your idea of a reasonably priced lens. I'm not aware of anything else in this focal length.

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    A 14-45 or 14-140 with a .8x wide angle converter would get you there. In 16:9 mode on the GH1 it goes even a bit wider than that.
  4. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    I've a 0.8x olympus wide converter I used with the 14-45, works well. Slightly soft at the corners wide open, but stop it down a bit and it's fine.

I forget the exact model though...I think I posted about it before though.
  5. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I hadn't considered the 14-45, will have to give that one some thought. I'm a little off my zooms at the moment but it can be had for not much cash so I should consider it.
  6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I love colloquialisms! I'd love to know more about this one. Apparently something about being short of cash I assume?
  7. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Oops, I typed that reply on my phone and the predictive text must have changed 'zooms' to 'rooms'!
  8. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

Although, right enough, I don't have £900 kick around to splash on the 7-14 which is what I would really like to do!
  9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Save up then, or check out the 9-18.

Always cheaper to buy the right lens once, than many others, discover they aren't what you need/want and then end up buying the quality one in the end
  10. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    ah but the journey is so much more interesting
  11. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I'm not sure I could ever justify the cost for the 7-14. The 9-18 could be a goer though, I hadn't considered that before, although even that I can't see me getting any time soon. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ultra-wide MF lenses in the meantime.
  12. panystac

panystac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    You already have one!!!!

The 14-45mm lens has the distortion auto corrected in the camera (G1, GF1, GH1, etc). If you shoot RAW, it is ALSO auto corrected by Silkypix.

HOWEVER, if you use a 3rd party RAW converter (not Photoshop), then you will get an uncorrected image. The corrected image has the barrel distortion straightened, but uncorrected, the ACTUAL lens is around 12mm at its widest!!!

Corrected. The field of view on the corrected image is 14mm. (this has been tested on one of the reviews)

Uncorrected. You can see how much wider it is!!
  13. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

I read about auto correction the other day, sounds like a bit of a cheat! I think will end up making do without for the time being, may invest in the 14-45 at some point. Would be a handy lens to have
  14. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    If you're willing to go to 15mm, the Voigtlander is an awesome lens that's about 1/2 the price of the 12mm. It's also a really small lens and nice to travel with.
  15. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    How about a C-Mount, like this Computar 12.5/1.3 which I paid about $25 + postage:

Image has some vignetting:

Vignetting is reduced a bit when using 16/9:

Vignetting is pretty much gone in video:
  16. rizwank

rizwank New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2010
    I'd love to find out about the wide converters--- Tam, which one did you have? I'd love to throw something like it onto my 14-150... I'm spending a month in Africa and don't want to have to rent the 9-18 for what I'm sure will be just a few instances.

At first glance; the Sony VCL DH0758 - x.7 will fit the 58mm filter thread of the 14-150mm lens.

Any thoughts?
  17. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    I have a cheap 0.45X with 52mm thread:

Base using a 28mm lens:

After using the 0.45x converter on the 28mm:

Unfortunately, I don't have different step down adapter ring right now to allow me to attach the 0.45x to wider lenses.
  18. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hmmm I'd be very wary of the extra weight burning out the AF motor..not to mention the hit to IQ. I think it might be best to just find the right lens in the first place!
  19. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

That computar looks really interesting, would anyone know where you can get one in the UK? Is C-mount a video lens standard? Can you adjust the aperture or is it just wide open?

For the money it would be fun to have a play with!
  20. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    C-mount is a video lens standard.