Does the thought of various dangers keep you from shooting in the city?

Saftey Concerns about imaging in the city

• I am under 30 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am under 30 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I am 31-45 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I am 31-45 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I am 46-55 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I am 46-55 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I am 56 or older and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I am 56 or older and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have no fear, I carry

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don't leave my yard anymore

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
Niagara Falls, NY is the most dangerous city per capita in New York state per FBI's most recent study. Add to that the newest NYS law that outside of capital offenses, no one gets arrested & jailed. Thank you Gov Cuomo. If you are held up at gunpoint, the cops give the perps a ticket to appear before a judge & send them on their merry way. Yes I'm fearful of going out walking anywhere in Niagara Falls, NY after dark & I have a carry permit as well.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Frankly, I am more worried of people who want to play Dirty Harry in the streets than I am any petty thief downtown.

Your “worry” is ill-founded; you obviously don’t understand people with carry permits.

Most citizens with concealed carry permits are quite wise and educated on the subject. The last thing they would ever wish to do is have to pull out a gun and shoot someone!

Rule #1 is avoid confrontation whenever possible/de-escalate tensions. Rule #2 is do not produce your weapon unless you are clearly forced to do so, by circumstances, to defend life.

CCW permit holders understand the seriousness of firearms and self-defensive shooting and would like nothing LESS than playing ”Dirty Harry” - except perhaps dying at the hands of a scumbag who has no regard for your life.

Last edited:

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
Your “worry” is ill-founded; you obviously don’t understand people with carry permits.

Most citizens with concealed carry permits are quite wise and educated on the subject. The last thing they would ever wish to do is have to pull out a gun and shoot someone!

Rule #1 is avoid confrontation whenever possible/de-escalate tensions. Rule #2 is do not produce your weapon unless you are clearly forced to do so, by circumstances, to defend life.

CCW permit holders understand the seriousness of firearms and are anything BUT wanting to play “Dirty Harry”.

Ok, most are ok. But not all of them are that way. I know a few.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have a friend who refuses to go downtown due to what he considers dangerous areas in Portland. He says he is uncomfortable, he is not a big guy and he thinks he is an "easy target". I still go downtown but am more cautious about some areas. We are both older (I'm 70) so the poll tries to break it down by age groups for safety concerns.
What areas is he referring to? We stayed downtown (Rose Hotel near the river...not far from where the Saturday Market is) and it seemed fine at night. Yes, there are homeless people in tents all over the place but walking around there seemed fine at night. On the other hand, I don't live there so I don't really have any "real" knowledge.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
I am from the Netherlands (female) and I am not afraid in most parts of my town.
I live in a medium size town.
Maybe in the evening I would avoid certain areas.
Not that I need to but being a woman makes you a little bit more vulnerable.
Street photography is no problem in my town.
I always smile, am respectful and ask people and sofar only had two people saying
they prefered no photo of them and thats fine :)
Street photographers are advised on youtube to dress to blend in.
I never do that haha
In winter I wear my neon-ish aqua blue jacket.
People can see me I have no problem with that.
I have no bad intentions so why hide myself :)
Yep!

Although I might add; if someone is going to visit the Netherlands, carry an umbrella, and watch out for cyclists :eek:

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes. Or at least choice of neighborhood to go to. A French photographer visiting his model girlfriend was recently stabbed in the neck for seemingly no reason in NY.

Real Name
Andrew L
I have a friend who refuses to go downtown due to what he considers dangerous areas in Portland. He says he is uncomfortable, he is not a big guy and he thinks he is an "easy target". I still go downtown but am more cautious about some areas. We are both older (I'm 70) so the poll tries to break it down by age groups for safety concerns.
I've shot in Portland a bunch, and never been anywhere I'd be afraid to shoot... I've seen a few people I'd be afraid to be seen shooting, but that's totally different. I find it hilarious when people think downtown Portland is somehow dangerous - they should try some cities back East.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
What areas is he referring to? We stayed downtown (Rose Hotel near the river...not far from where the Saturday Market is) and it seemed fine at night. Yes, there are homeless people in tents all over the place but walking around there seemed fine at night. On the other hand, I don't live there so I don't really have any "real" knowledge.

There have been a number of violent incidents, including stabbing to death of people on a transit train by a racist who was attacking a young muslim woman.

Not all violent attackers are homeless and vice versa; however, allowing the mentally ill to live on the streets creates a number of hazards, only some of which can be defended against with a firearm.

jamespetts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I live in London - I have never had a problem with using camera equipment in the town either here or when visiting foreign cities such as Paris, New York or Warsaw.

Mu-43 Legend
Man, this forum is getting angsty again! Waiting for the mod hammer to come along, I'll keep quiet in the meantime :whistling:

it’s gun day on mu43 it seems. As long as both sides stay civil, talk to ideas and experiences and not individuals and stay out of politics (per site rules)

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Portland, LA, Denver, Chicago, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Boston, NY, Cairo, Tokyo, Hong Kong - I travel a lot for work and walk around at night without feeling concerned. I suppose lots of cities have areas you probably want to avoid, but not "the city" as a whole. The only thing I carry is sometimes a different prime in my pocket in case I feel like a change of view!

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
I do choose my gear depending on the neighborhood, and in rough areas I might choose the pm1 with a less expensive lens. Generally micro four thirds has an advantage here, where your gear is smaller and less flashy. Regarding wilderness, I worry most when I stumble upon grow operations, which I have a few times.

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've carried and used my camera by myself in cities, towns and villages in around 40 countries on six continents.

Problems: None.

Given I wander off the main streets in search of interesting things I guess I'm taking risks, but the world is much safer than people realise.

There are parts of South America and Africa in which I'd be cautious. Anywhere else is fine.

That includes wandering alone in Colombia, down a street with more gun shops than restaurants, finally finding lunch somewhere that's never had a foreigner inside before.
Strolling through two donkey villages in Morocco, then heading into the mountains on foot.
Heading into residential areas in multiple Caribbean cities, where my skin colour absolutely is unique, getting stared at by people that stop and watch me pass. Except the ones that stop and talk to me, and I talk back.
Walking out of Nashville through a rough single race neighbourhood, being approached on the street by a large man that wanted to test my reaction to him. I guess I passed.
Heading to find a takeaway in San Diego and walking through a part of town so rough the hotel realised where I'd gone and I came out carrying my burger and fries to find seven police cars guarding my route back.
Hitting the "Mexicans only" parts of Tijuana, flirting with the girls there, who seemed grateful that I wasn't asking for a donkey show.
Ignoring a local's "No tourists there. This is not for you!" in Marrakech and finding the part of the medina for real people, which also meant some awesome food options.
Walking through Coventry at 2am, nodding politely in greeting to the group of young men stood on the railway level crossing, not asking them about their glass milk bottles with an inch or two of clear liquid in the bottom.
Climbing a hill in a river in a village by Nha Trang.
Heading for breakfast before anywhere's open in a port in Costa Rica.
Exploring every town and city in Malta.
Heading out in the pitch black to find glowworms in New Zealand.
Photographing the red light district in Pattaya, the writhing live fish in a market in Cambodia, the school in the main town of a small island in Papua New Guinea, a man with a shotgun in Guatemala, Rangers fans drinking Manchester dry..

No, I don't worry about the dangers. What dangers?

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When I don't carry a monopod, I have a small telescopic baton in my camera bag (only if I go downtown and if I know I won't get searched). It's not legal to have one but I'd accept anyday to be "illegal" if I have to defend myself from someone trying to rob me.

Phocal

God
S&W or Colt

I own a small arsenal. My carry gun is the Ruger LCR because it's small, light, stupid simple and has the best DAO trigger pull I have ever used. Those large magazine pop guns others like to carry are for people who don't know how to shoot. If I need more than 5 shots I am in a situation that I should never have let myself get into.

Now that I am in Alaska I am on the lookout for another 357 with a longer barrel for wilderness carry. The range on that Ruger is not that great and if I am going to have to shoot a bear I would rather it a bit farther away than the Ruger can accurately shoot. For backcountry carry I prefer revolvers because they are so simple and little can go wrong with them.

Attachments

• 357.jpg
    357.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 105
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom