Does the thought of various dangers keep you from shooting in the city?

Saftey Concerns about imaging in the city

• I am under 30 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am under 30 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I am 31-45 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I am 31-45 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I am 46-55 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I am 46-55 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I am 56 or older and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I am 56 or older and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have no fear, I carry

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don't leave my yard anymore

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'm not old enough to know how life felt differently before the defunding, but I imagine the inside of those places was also pretty sad. Is that a "needs of many vs needs of few" type of situation, where keeping them off the street, yet submitting them to the possibility of a hellish living situation inside a facility, is a net benefit to a greater number of people? I don't know. I wish people's lives and mental states did not deteriorate. I think our society should try to be as mindful of keeping that from happening as we can be, and we have a long way to go. We've been conditioned towards individualism and consumerism for so long that it's not a part of our thinking to care enough, especially in situations where it's family. Note that I don't mean any of this in a legislative sense, rather the way we each treat the others in our lives. If we looked out for our friends and relatives, things would be a lot better, but the ideals of personal freedom lead to extremes when, personally, people don't embrace restraint. You can't mandate any of that. Heart change is the hardest.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
There’s no substitute for research. One can’t just go on anecdotal reports of “feeling” of some other people. Some places just have more incidences of violent crimes than others. Just because it never happened to one person means absolutely nothing statistically. It’s a good idea to look up that kind of information beforehand IMO and use common sense. Someone mentioned Baltimore earlier. It had more murders lately than much bigger cities in US. Neighborhoods within cities also vary. A French photographer visiting his model girlfriend in was stabbed in Harlem, NY recently . A much safer place than it used to be for sure but still not the safest . an out of town college student was recently robbed and stabbed to death around there too. In both incidents , attackers were locals in the neighborhood.

feeling safe is important too of course. A French immigrant recently told me she feels safe taking train late at night in NY. She did not feel safe doing that in Paris. But, a simple search will show that European countries generally have much lower crime rates than USA. So, I take her impressions with a grain of salt. I wish our European friends wouldn’t feel the need to be so smug about these things .It’s not something any one individual has much influence over. The world is the way it is. We are all just trying to survive in it.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Not sure how to answer this poll...
Going by the thread title, I am not deterred.
But by the poll questions, yes I have concerns, especially as I like to shoot at night while traveling alone in strange places.
Actually, I have been deterred at least once... I decided not to wander the street in downtown Seattle late at night (10 or 11pm) last year due to the high homeless population and lack of many other pedestrians. It was cold, but I don't recall seeing many more pedestrians late at night in the summer (stayed in same hotel both times).
But I have no problem doing similar if with another person or two.

And I'm debating how to get around in downtown LA at night this weekend; going to dinner and a gallery opening at night.
Walk several blocks or move the car and try to re-park or catch Lyft...

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
A lot of the mentally ill homeless problem comes from the federal government reducing or eliminating funding under President Reagan. Here in Massachusetts a number of "state hospitals" were closed back then. One near my house has recently been razed and condos are going up in it's place.
Deinstitutionalization began in the 1950's in many countries, way before Regan. By the time he was President the entire system was a shadow of what it had been. Some of this was caused by overconfidence in newer more effective drugs.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
ok, true but Carter had a plan to close the 'warehouses' for the mentally ill; Reagan admin. did indeed close them down but instead of Carter's plan to put them in smaller better supervised places, he just dumped them out onto the streets

I recall the huge increase in homeless people in the '80s - it was rare before that (excepting the Depression). Other things since then have driven the increases, including very high rents on the W. Coast due to tech.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
I don't. I find it interesting what weapons people admit to carrying on a photo shoot and also how many adult males on here are frightened of guns. As for "real" photographers putting their lives at stake, well whatever it takes to get the shot I guess.
I dont think people are afraid of guns. Its the idiots with guns.

WT21

Super Moderator
ok, true but Carter had a plan to close the 'warehouses' for the mentally ill; Reagan admin. did indeed close them down but instead of Carter's plan to put them in smaller better supervised places, he just dumped them out onto the streets

I recall the huge increase in homeless people in the '80s - it was rare before that (excepting the Depression). Other things since then have driven the increases, including very high rents on the W. Coast due to tech.
this is what I remember too, but the spike in the homeless the last 10 years is not that. It’s massively different now and the homeless more aggressive - either from desperation, mental illness or drugs, I’ve nobackground to say. I just know I’ll not be going back to SFO again, as I was threatened and accosted there a number of times in a way that I wasn’t in LA or San Diego.

When I read the title "various dangers in the city" only danger I thought of was some one confronting me for taking pictures and then going crazy, braking the equipment because they appeared in my photos even inadvertently (read a few stories like that on interweb). Street/random people photography isn't for me. Reading this thread, my fear seems comparatively innocuous. Oh well.

cnyap

Mu-43 Regular
Niagara Falls, NY is the most dangerous city per capita in New York state per FBI's most recent study.
Yeah upstate has disgraceful areas...my aunt lives there still (lasalle ave I want to say. My dad grew up there).
Syracuse (I live to the NW) has an area which for many years has been in the top 10 neighborhoods for poverty (I drive thru it to play hockey weekly). Rochester somehow is much worse crime-wise.
I’m from Batavia.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
This thread has veered into politics and taken up a bunch of moderator time.

Addendum for those who have objected to thread closing: Multiple posts had to be deleted. One of those resulted in a member ban. You may not have seen those posts before they were deleted. A lot of moderator time and effort was spent on this thread. Moderators are unpaid members who have limited time and energy to spend on a thread which keeps getting reported.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom