Does the thought of various dangers keep you from shooting in the city?

Saftey Concerns about imaging in the city

• I am under 30 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am under 30 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I am 31-45 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I am 31-45 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I am 46-55 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I am 46-55 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I am 56 or older and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I am 56 or older and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have no fear, I carry

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don't leave my yard anymore

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
S&W or Colt
I own a small arsenal. My carry gun is the Ruger LCR because it's small, light, stupid simple and has the best DAO trigger pull I have ever used. Those large magazine pop guns others like to carry are for people who don't know how to shoot. If I need more than 5 shots I am in a situation that I should never have let myself get into.

Now that I am in Alaska I am on the lookout for another 357 with a longer barrel for wilderness carry. The range on that Ruger is not that great and if I am going to have to shoot a bear I would rather it a bit farther away than the Ruger can accurately shoot. For backcountry carry I prefer revolvers because they are so simple and little can go wrong with them.

Attachments

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've carried and used my camera by myself in cities, towns and villages in around 40 countries on six continents.

Problems: None.

Given I wander off the main streets in search of interesting things I guess I'm taking risks, but the world is much safer than people realise.

There are parts of South America and Africa in which I'd be cautious. Anywhere else is fine.

That includes wandering alone in Colombia, down a street with more gun shops than restaurants, finally finding lunch somewhere that's never had a foreigner inside before.
Strolling through two donkey villages in Morocco, then heading into the mountains on foot.
Heading into residential areas in multiple Caribbean cities, where my skin colour absolutely is unique, getting stared at by people that stop and watch me pass. Except the ones that stop and talk to me, and I talk back.
Walking out of Nashville through a rough single race neighbourhood, being approached on the street by a large man that wanted to test my reaction to him. I guess I passed.
Heading to find a takeaway in San Diego and walking through a part of town so rough the hotel realised where I'd gone and I came out carrying my burger and fries to find seven police cars guarding my route back.
Hitting the "Mexicans only" parts of Tijuana, flirting with the girls there, who seemed grateful that I wasn't asking for a donkey show.
Ignoring a local's "No tourists there. This is not for you!" in Marrakech and finding the part of the medina for real people, which also meant some awesome food options.
Walking through Coventry at 2am, nodding politely in greeting to the group of young men stood on the railway level crossing, not asking them about their glass milk bottles with an inch or two of clear liquid in the bottom.
Climbing a hill in a river in a village by Nha Trang.
Heading for breakfast before anywhere's open in a port in Costa Rica.
Exploring every town and city in Malta.
Heading out in the pitch black to find glowworms in New Zealand.
Photographing the red light district in Pattaya, the writhing live fish in a market in Cambodia, the school in the main town of a small island in Papua New Guinea, a man with a shotgun in Guatemala, Rangers fans drinking Manchester dry..

No, I don't worry about the dangers. What dangers?
In daytime and in public places, apart from pickpockets nothing to worry about. But at 5 am I once almost got into problems with junkies while trying to take pictures of a Basilica on a Sunday morning.

Real Name
Kelly
@Phocal Ronnie, how long are you going to be in Alaska? Don't you miss these warm Texas winters. Was 79 today in Pearland. Speaking of trigger pull, do you have or have you tried a Python? I've had one for 50 years or so. Miss seeing your gator posts. Good luck.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
We travel around Portland and Seattle several times a year, the only thing that we carry are our cameras. We travel abroad more times a year; and, yes with just our cameras. Some of you guys are paranoid and don't know how to travel. Your best weapon is between your ears.

I will be blunt, I find this thread offensive and not helping this photographic forum. Real photographers have put their lives at stake to shoot meaningful photographs which have changed our viewpoints. If recreational photographers are afraid of their surroundings and settings they should go back to their hotels.

IMHO

Last edited:

pigiron

Mu-43 Veteran
I find this thread offensive
I don't. I find it interesting what weapons people admit to carrying on a photo shoot and also how many adult males on here are frightened of guns. As for "real" photographers putting their lives at stake, well whatever it takes to get the shot I guess.

Last edited:

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Not sure how to answer this poll...
Going by the thread title, I am not deterred.

But by the poll questions, yes I have concerns, especially as I like to shoot at night while traveling alone in strange places.

I've seen a homeless man with a shopping cart full of office chairs scream and throw chairs seemingly randomly. During the day, in a business district in LA. Fortunately the screaming was enough of a warning.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I’m not concerned about crime when shooting in the city, but with the latest privacy regulations in Europe shooting people without their permission (even if they’re not your main subject) is a legal gray area and I just don’t want to ever think about that crap.

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Now days I prefer to be aint stupid to aint scared but its a tricky line, two of my ( I think) closest encounters where in very isolated locations one in the desert and one in the swamps where I ran into groups of three people with weapons and there wasn't any wild life near by.In both cases I thought wtf am I doing here and nobody in the world knows where I am. In the long run that was stupid but I still do stuff like that trying not to be scared. As I get older I just hope I am able to prep myself a little better now I hesitate about going down to the bus stations solo at night to see waz up! Tbh one of the group members in the swamp was a woman and that was scarier !

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
To follow up my first comment. I have actually run into way scarier people out in the woods while photographing wildlife than out night shooting in downtown Houston.
I'll second that. I've met some real whackos when out hiking. I don't deliberately go places where it might be unsafe, but lots of "bad" neighborhoods have oases of shops, bars and restaurants that are quite safe as long as you drive there.

Probably the weirdest street scene I ever walked into was in Seoul, S. Korea in the mid 70s when I was there in the US Army. A few of us were walking though an area we hadn't been before and it was pretty deserted (unusual in Seoul!!) except for a group of boys in a huddle in the middle of the street. Suddenly the huddle broke and we saw that one kid was beating another one bloody with a large piece of wood! We just kept walking, and no, I did not try to get off a shot for posterity!

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting insight into the varying opinions of the folk here. I probably sit in the middle of the age band we have here and I'm definitely more conscious of risks than I was say 10 years ago. I do feel more vulnerable going into the city at night now, with or without a camera. That said I usually venture out at night when travelling, but I try to maintain a common sense approach to the locations and positions I put myself or others in, and I try to conceal high value items where possible. I'd hate to live or stay in an environment where I felt the need to carry a weapon through fear of violent crime.

Last year my wife and I visited a town we hadn't visited before and we managed to get lost on foot. As we walked through a park in the pitch black night, ahead were 3 hooded youths illuminated by their phone screens. My heart pounding as we approached them, I wrapped my camera bag strap tightly around my left hand, ready to strike out with my right. My wife casually asked them what direction the park exit was. They politely gave us directions back to our car park and then one said "Jeez, you scared the crap out of me, I thought you were going to beat us up". :rofl:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I've seen a homeless man with a shopping cart full of office chairs scream and throw chairs seemingly randomly. During the day, in a business district in LA. Fortunately the screaming was enough of a warning.
Homeless and either high or permanently addled make for a dangerous combination. There have been two times, one in Seattle and one nearer home, when I was approached by a transient who was raving and threatening. Thankfully both times I was in my car, and could (and did) drive away. But both times the intent was to get me to give them the vehicle, at least that is what was screamed at me. The time in Seattle I was with my wife. Could have been much, much worse. I don't let that stop me, but it pays to be very aware and vigilant.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I don't carry a monopod, I have a small telescopic baton in my camera bag (only if I go downtown and if I know I won't get searched). It's not legal to have one but I'd accept anyday to be "illegal" if I have to defend myself from someone trying to rob me.
I used to joke about my old E-1 plus 12-60 SWD mounted on a Monfrotto monopod as being my "war club". And I bet the E-1 would have kept on shooting afterwards if needed. :thumbup:

Yeah, the poll questions are kind of ambiguous -- could instead be phrased "I'm age X and am too concerned with danger to shoot in the city/shoot anyway/not concerned."

Also, would one still be afraid if they went with a group or buddy? Safety in numbers is a real thing.

Developing a sense of situational awareness is just common sense that every photographer would do well to work on, but there're a lot of shoots I do that are done with careful consideration of the consequences. As I like to shoot abandonments, my biggest risks are the structural safety of sites and law enforcement. I've many times run into homeless folks and scrappers and never have had an issue, though a couple times I had to assure them I wasn't from social services and/or there to take pics of them. ;)

Last edited:
In general, I am not fearful of shooting in the city, but It's not really a simple question. There are so many variables to consider. What city? What neighborhood? What time of day/night? Or even what time of the year. As the previous post noted, it's all about situational awareness. And carrying a weapon does not change the equation. If you "have no fear" because you're packing heat, you are probably a danger to yourself and others.

It's also worth noting that contrary to what seems to be a popular belief, violent crime rates in American cities (and across the nation) are much lower than they were 20-50 years ago.

Real Name
Mel
I am one of the older guys on this forum. I have been all around the world, literally, in many big and not so big cities. I generally avoid the parts of town that are known to be problems by the locals but have wandered all over foreign cities with little concern except for pickpockets. While serving in the Army, my job entailed carrying a handgun 24/7 doing security work for the Army Security Agency and I also learned how to defend myself with or without a knife or weapon. I had to display my handgun once, did not have to use it and was happy for that. When I left the service, my gun stayed in the Army and I have lived many years without the need or fear of danger. I, myself, would have more fear of carrying again since it might just give me the bravado to attempt something that age and reflexes would not allow me to do. Different strokes for different folks but I do not wish to carry either with a permit or without. I agree with Phocal that I would feel much more threatened in the woods, even a national park than in 99% of the cities I have been in.

I agree with Steve16823 with his assessment of the time, place, area, etc and that carrying does not change the equation one iota. Just my opinion but I have lived a very long life without the need to shoot someone and when in a job that required the possibility of violence, I pulled my weapon one time speaks a lot about perceptions.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
@Phocal Ronnie, how long are you going to be in Alaska? Don't you miss these warm Texas winters. Was 79 today in Pearland. Speaking of trigger pull, do you have or have you tried a Python? I've had one for 50 years or so. Miss seeing your gator posts. Good luck.
Not really sure. I just got up here at the beginning of November, took a promotion with my company to move up here. Will probably be here until I take another promotion to go someplace else, at least a year but maybe 2 or 5.

Actually I love the snow, lived in Seattle for 13 years and grew up in Michigan. This has been a great change in scenery and weather and now I can pursue my desire to photograph Wolverines. Have a few good tips on places to find them, so hoping to get some shots soon.

Never tried a Python.

I will miss my gators as well. But so far have replaced them with fox and soon it will be lynx and bears and hopefully wolverines.

Real Name
Kelly
Not really sure. I just got up here at the beginning of November, took a promotion with my company to move up here. Will probably be here until I take another promotion to go someplace else, at least a year but maybe 2 or 5.

Actually I love the snow, lived in Seattle for 13 years and grew up in Michigan. This has been a great change in scenery and weather and now I can pursue my desire to photograph Wolverines. Have a few good tips on places to find them, so hoping to get some shots soon.

Never tried a Python.

I will miss my gators as well. But so far have replaced them with fox and soon it will be lynx and bears and hopefully wolverines.
Thanks for the reply, looking forward to some pics of the wildlife from up there. Enjoy it while you're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom