Does the thought of various dangers keep you from shooting in the city?

Saftey Concerns about imaging in the city

• I am under 30 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am under 30 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I am 31-45 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I am 31-45 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I am 46-55 and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I am 46-55 and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I am 56 or older and am concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I am 56 or older and am not concerned about imaging in the city

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have no fear, I carry

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don't leave my yard anymore

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a friend who refuses to go downtown due to what he considers dangerous areas in Portland. He says he is uncomfortable, he is not a big guy and he thinks he is an "easy target". I still go downtown but am more cautious about some areas. We are both older (I'm 70) so the poll tries to break it down by age groups for safety concerns.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
To follow up my first comment. I have actually run into way scarier people out in the woods while photographing wildlife than out night shooting in downtown Houston. Granted the chances of running into a bad a person is higher in the city due to sheer numbers, I feel the chance of something bad happing is greater in the woods when that encounter does happen. I have found homeless camps in national forest and those freak me out, never know what is going to happen when you find these people deep in the woods far from anyone.

I don't travel a great deal, but I have walked and shot around small cities - Knoxville, medium/large cities - Nashville, and large cities - Dallas, Miami, Atlanta and have never felt any danger.

I was in Portland last October. While I didn't get the chance to shoot there, I would have had no issues doing so.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I'm over 55 and I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. First I rarely travel alone and I try to be aware of my surroundings. So sometimes I walk with my camera in a zippered bag and other times I carry it in my hand.

WT21

Super Moderator
Depends on the city, time of day and neighborhood. I've never felt unsafe in the more touristy areas of pretty much any city. especially if with someone else.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
I have a friend who refuses to go downtown due to what he considers dangerous areas in Portland. He says he is uncomfortable, he is not a big guy and he thinks he is an "easy target". I still go downtown but am more cautious about some areas. We are both older (I'm 70) so the poll tries to break it down by age groups for safety concerns.
I have heard this about Portland for years. I am 52 and I have lived in Portland since 1991. I have worked in downtown Portland since 2004. I have been to many concerts, etc that keep me downtown after midnight. I have walked all over the downtown area, Old town, Pearl, Waterfront, etc with a camera around my neck. Never once have I felt unsafe.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't have a CCP, but Oregon is an open carry state, and in the woods/deserts I am carrying either a .38 or my BlackHawk .30 cal. (I an old guy so my pistols are revolvers). Downtown I tend to carry a pretty nasty pocket knife (I think 4.25" is the longest you can have) and thanks to the US government I do know how to use it. But I only tend to shoot in the day light hours but still a few areas I won't go into.

Real Name
Richard
I only shoot in the city at dawn when the hardcore crims are turning in for the day and the petty thieves are still in bed.

I live in a nice area, but even in my local park, I never take all of my gear out at once, and conceal what I do have under my coat or a plastic carrier bag.

Sadly we are not permitted to carry guns in the UK. Good job really - I'd probably get into a lot of trouble for shooting people who 'looked at me funny'.

jdcope

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jon
I don't have a CCP, but Oregon is an open carry state, and in the woods/deserts I am carrying either a .38 or my BlackHawk .30 cal. (I an old guy so my pistols are revolvers). Downtown I tend to carry a pretty nasty pocket knife (I think 4.25" is the longest you can have) and thanks to the US government I do know how to use it. But I only tend to shoot in the day light hours but still a few areas I won't go into.
However, a handful of cities (Portland, Salem, and a few others) do ban open carry in public places and public buildings. Frankly, I am more worried of people who want to play Dirty Harry in the streets than I am any petty thief downtown.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I have a carry permit as well. I am not scared, but I gotta' tell you guys, I have no idea how you do it. I feel so creepy taking photographs of people out on the street. I need to learn the tricks of the trade.

@D7k1 I used to have a Blackhawk in .30 cal. Fun caliber. I reload that round for my M-1 Carbine. My carry these days is a Ruger LCP .380.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Sadly we are not permitted to carry guns in the UK. Good job really - I'd probably get into a lot of trouble for shooting people who 'looked at me funny'.
Well to be honest, we really don't want that kind of person carrying guns over here either! Truth be told, every time another state passes laws to make concealed carry permits easier to obtain there are always doom and gloom prognostications about how the area will be like the old wild west, there will be shootings, etc. etc. and it never materializes. LEGAL gun owners commit fewer crimes than any other group.

Real Name
Roel
In The Netherlands, I don't have any concerns when I'm out shooting in a city. Most of the country is very safe (as is most of Europe) so never had any worries (and being a fairly large guy with super short hair cut a beard seems to help ;)).

When traveling there are certainly places where I do think it depends on the city, time of day and neighborhood.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
" Does the thought of various dangers keep you from shooting in the city? "

Maybe one could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot someone and not fear a thing. However, here in rural France I try to dodge the local yokels who object to me sucking in their houses with my evil eyed GX80. Sometimes I have the pleasure to answer the more aggressively rude ones, when they ask what the hell I am doing, that I am minding my own business. No need for guns in a gun free country. In rare cases having my doggy by my side does wonders for my ease of mind, it is true.

Last edited:

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I find this thread funny, silly and sad all at the same time.
I’ve been to a lot of big cities all over the world (including Portland) the last few years by myself. Usually with a camera, often out late. Never had a problem or felt unsafe.
My frame of reference though is late ‘70s New York City, which I spent a lot of time in. Now THAT was a sketchy place and time. You either developed a hyper-aware sixth sense, or you didn’t make it.

All you “carry” guys crack me up. I’m glad you feel safer, but the reality is somewhat different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom