Does the spending ever end?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by D@ne, Jul 10, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Thus far in my very brief foray into photography, I've bought & sold one body, and 3 lenses, purchased 4 other lenses, a bad, 2 memory cards, 2 straps, 2 lens hoods, a flash, eyecups, batteries, software, etc. etc. etc.

So give or take, I'm in the $4000 ballpark...and I still have no tripod!

Am I destined for a life of debt?
  2. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
  3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Only if you don't pay cash!
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Hey, Think of it this way ...

... you could have taken up golf. :biggrin:
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol...Welcome to the world of corporate slavery
    Anyway , I have devised my own method to deal with GAS . I buy things which I need and don't get tempted by whats available . Now Oly 75 mm 1.8 lens is available for USD 1100-1300 and I asked myself -Do I need it? answer is no and I am done . I have Oly 45 mm 1.8 and that caters my needs. Similarly I was getting tempted by Panny 12-35 and again same thing why I should I dump money .Its not for . Just be clear what u need and why u need and that makes things easy . I was so much tempted to buy OMD but silver body never turned up and that helped to deflate my gas . My EPL2 gives me what I need and OMD will be something which I hope to last for next 2-3 years. No more camera bodies . Similarly new Macbook pro seemed quite tempted but then again I asked myself ..Do I really need it ? No ..I don't .I am happy this way and will buy something when I need it and not when manufactures are tempting me to buy it .
    Here is a recent shot at ISO 1000 from EPL2+ kit lens

6. nueces snapper

Yeah but you're a doctor. This tells me you have superior gratification delaying abilities not to mention smarts. You can't expect most of us to rise to these heights. :biggrin:
  7. Bhupinder2002

Hahahahh ...believe me we all are human beings and basic instincts remain the same actually .
  8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Things I've learned on photog forums, and am guilty of partaking in, and enforcing, leading to my current predicament/future of poorness:

1. you NEED the newest body. the old one's IBIS sucks.
    2. you NEED a huge flash. one that can light up NYC during a blackout. nothing less.
    3. you NEED a fisheye lens. sure you can get a cheap one, but those three times you'll use it will be more pleasurable with a really expensive one.
    4. you NEED an insanely long telephoto lens. if you can't see into someone's soul with it, it's not long enough.
    5. you NEED a pricey macro lens...otherwise the bumble bee's fur won't be clear.
    6. you NEED a tripod. and it has to be carbon fibre. your tongue will stick to aluminum.
    7. you NEED several dozen lens adapters...just in case you find a strange legacy lens at the fleamarket that no one else owns.
    8. you NEED a grip. you researched for months to find the tiniest camera on the market. now that you've got it, you'll need something to make it bigger so you don't drop it.
    9. you NEED a minimum of 6 prime lenses. sure, zooms are more convenient, but why own an interchangeable lens camera if you're not going to change lenses?

and finally:

10. you NEED a/several cat(s). all your equipment has to be used to take pictures of something.
    • Like Like x 19
  9. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Just to say this made my day.
    Laughed out loud reading this. Well said!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 2
  10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA

I think you'll find that the drain on your wallet is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend on the forums.

Go out an shoot (preferably alone, so you don't start coveting another photog's gear). As long as your journey doesn't happen to take you past your favorite camera shop, then you'll be enjoying the (quite nice) gear you already have rather than thinking about what you NEED.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. nueces snapper

Yes doctor. :cool:
  12. Bhupinder2002

13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Quoted for truth :biggrin:

Unfortunately for my spending habits, I spend a lot of time on here...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have strict rule I follow. New gear has to be paid for by the sale of old gear. The gear doesn't necessarily need to be cameras (I do have other hobbies). I have found that by selling the stuff I don't use I can pretty much fund new stuff. It means very little firing up of the credit cards.
  15. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Sadly, no. I am as guilty as any photographer of acquiring gear. I don't do so in the belief that more kit will make me a better photographer; I just love stuff!

I used to have a Canon 50D, with four lenses but I was always complaining about weight and leaving things behind. Then the Panasonic GF1 came out and I was sold on its small size and weight, so I sold the Canon gear and got one. Now, three years or so later, I have this....

plus four bags, two monopods, two tripods and, of course, the cameras all take different batteries, so I have four chargers....and I bought another lens on ebay today! :dash2:
    • Like Like x 3
  16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    11. you NEED flowers in your garden. They are perfect subjects to test lenses,
  17. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    It doesn't end.

I'm still a terrible photog but love buying and selling stuff. Back in my teenage years, I was trading up cell phones monthly.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm starting to make peace with the spending...there are worse things that you can spend your money on..
    • Like Like x 1
  19. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Listen to your friends here...
    1. Limit forum visits to reduce kit envy or knowledge of what's new or what you are missing
    2. Shoot more to reduce desire to visit forum
    3. Shoot a lot more and you may want to post your new prize pics to the forum
    4. Then Visit forum post pics, find out what you are missing and get kit envy....
    Geez dude you may be doomed

Oh well... I guess Thats why I only have one expensive hobby... :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Probably. :cool: