Does the olympus FL-CB05 work FULLY on the E-PL2?

wyip

Mu-43 Regular
It looks like it has the right number of contacts so it should work. I had a FL-36R and it worked fine with the E-PL1 (even wirelessly), so I'd imagine any flash accessories like that hotshoe cable would work fine too.

shoturtle

I would drop olympus a email form their webpage asking that question. They are pretty good about getting back to you in couple of day with the answer.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Yeah, did that. Thanks. I thought for sure a search here would turn up the answer. I'll post verbatim when they reply.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I'd like to occasionally make use of my old flash bracket. Do you think the on-camera flash would fire a FL-50R wirelessly on a bracket next to the camera? Probably need the cord, huh?

shoturtle

It should in principle. I have fire my canon with wireless flash, where the flash was next to the camera, not infront. But with the olympus flash the FL50R can fully rotate, so you can simple rotate the flash sensor part toward the camera.

That is one of the reason I am waiting for the new metz 44 AF-1 to come to the US at the end of the month. It tilts and swivel so I can take full advantage of the epl-1's wireless function.

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
From Olympus Tech Support:

We value you as an Olympus customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this situation.

I have tested and confirmed that the E-PL2 is compatible with the FL-CB05 cable, and the FL-50R and FL-36R flashes will work TTL using that cable.

This is your email tracking number, should you need further assistance you can reference this number: 2431544. If you need further assistance, please call our Digital Technical Support. We can be reached at (888) 553-4448, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 9 pm Eastern Time. You can also browse our website by visiting Olympus Corporation of the Americas Inc.

Regards,

Mike
Digital Technical Support
Olympus Imaging America Inc.
Olympus Corporation of the Americas Inc.

----- Original Message -----

Is the olympus fl-cb05 fully compatible with the FL-50R, FL-36R and the E-PL2?

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I was hoping to save a few bucks by buying the non-R version, but it isn't much cheaper, and the cord is roughly $50.

shoturtle

there are knock off ones on ebay, not sure if they support full ttl, the are about 20 dollars form vivatar and other brands.

OPSSam

Mu-43 Regular
I have fired off the R flashes when they were behind me, off to one side. So, in general it will work, but it's not 100% guaranteed. But so far for me, I'd say 99% of the time it does work.

Latest threads

Top Bottom