1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does the Mu43 Forum need an Astrophotography subforum?

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by slothead, Jan 24, 2014.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I thought I had seen an Astrophotography forum (subforum) here on Mu43 and I asked Amin and he didn't recall any. So do we need one? I am of course in favor of such, but will there be enough participation to make it realistic and productive? I tried to create a poll for this question with Yes, No and Maybe as possible votes. I've given us two weeks to collect inputs..

• Like Like x 2
  2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I remember seeing a few threads with a good few replies, I for one would definitely like to see it. I plan to be out shooting a good bit this Northern summer when it warms up, and it would be cool to have somewhere to post some pics. I think astrophotography is quite brand-specific also, so somewhere where we can all share our learnings, like the "Reset lens" trick on Olympus for infinity focus, would be good.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why not. I keep meaning to give it a try - a forum might encourage me to do it!

4. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'd love to learn. I know absolutely nothing about it. Of course, one can always just 'Google it', but it'd be great if there were single place with m43 specific information.

6. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I have micro 4/3rds gear and a couple of telescopes although I'm primarily a visual observer.

I'd be interested in an astro photo forum even if potentially I didn't contribute much.

7. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    I would be keen..

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It would be nice, if it was broad enough to include stuff like long exposures at night, moon shots, auroras, etc.

9. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Yes, I think a broad forum would be good, lots more people would be interested in landscape astrophotography than highly technical shots, stacking etc., although I think all types could live together nicely. In fairness, those into highly technical stuff are probably using Canon or astro-specific imaging platforms anyway. There definitely are some m43 specific issues to discuss, in terms of processing options, fast wide primes etc.

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It would at least be nice if all of the various threads were consolidated, like the "Bags" thread.

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    You guys have made a lot of good points and I'm glad I created this poll and thread.

I'm actually a complete novice with astrophotography. I'm guessing that there aren't many here that have had a lot of experience with it. In fact I've learned a lot about even since creating the thread. My ambitions are in imaging deep sky objects (a good reference is the Messier list), and one those in the very near term, the new SuperNova in Bode's Galaxy (M81 or NGC 3031) near the big dipper. It will be at its brightest in a week or two and I want to capture an image of both the SN and the galaxy.

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Why not start with an astrophotography thread? Or if we have one, revive it? I'm very interested in astrophotography but I've only tried it once so far (not that many opportunities outside at night away from light pollution lately). If we could get an active thread going with a bunch of contributors then a sub-forum might be a natural progression.

13. gdawg

gdawg New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2013
    California
    Great idea. I love just went to a class at a local camera store and Learned some general stuff. Would be great to share and learn more on this thread

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mu-43 mobile app

14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Someone mentioned the light pollution, and that is an issue that covers a lot of us, but there are ways around it. We can talk about that. What I learned in the last couple weeks that sometimes an astrophotography image can be made up of as many as over 100 images primarily to avoid light pollution. One of the prime processing tools (Deep Sky Stacker) employs 4 different kinds of image frames to carefully avoid noise. More on that later (I'm sorta busy right now).

15. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    jloden, In case you are waiting for me to start the thread you mentioned (and I can imagine that you are), I am waiting for a clear night! The weather has been so cold and overcast here for what seems like the last two weeks, I haven't had much of a chance (when I have been afforded the time) to get any even half-decent images. As soon as I have one that I'm not embarrassed to show, I'll start such a thread, and in the meantime, it anyone else has anything they want to share that would also be an excellent opportunity to start a thread.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I think a forum or subforum is needed, as threads fade to oblivion rather quickly and the knowledge is lost in the mists of the interweb

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  18. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Amin, I was thinking there was a "Night" forum, but I guess I'm wrong about that too. I would not put it in the B&W forum since many good astroph's are in color. It could certainly go in the "Other Genres" forum.

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Images to share like the "Nature" section.

Edit: it might not be the most popular but it would serve a purpose to have it be it's own sub-forum. We have had some great threads in the past, but they can be hard to find. It would be great if we could have the older threads relocated to the new sub-forum. It would be interesting to see if the sub-forum draws readers of non m4/3s systems.

20. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I'd also like to see it a standalone forum under "Images to share", as dornblaser said it mightn't be the most popular but it would serve as a repository for the information unearthed in the past and may work out well as a draw for those not currently on the site.