1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does the EM1 "Autoclean" the sensor or what?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    On previous models there was a setting you could go into and manually actuate the sensor cleaning. Or at least set it to clean when starting AND finishing or just startup. On the EM1 I can't find anywhere a place that allows one to access the cleaning function. Is it all auto now with no control or what? Just wondering if anyone else figured this out.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Interesting - looks like the EM1 auto cleans on power on (along with pixel mapping).

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Which previous models? All Olympus m43 did sensor cleaning on start up, no other option.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    From P140 of the manual

Cleaning and checking the image pickup device
    This camera incorporates a dust reduction function to keep dust from getting on the
    image pickup device and to remove any dust or dirt from the image pickup device
    surface with ultrasonic vibrations. The dust reduction function operates when the
    camera is turned on.
    The dust reduction function operates at the same time as the pixel mapping, which
    checks the image pickup device and image processing circuitry. Since dust reduction
    is activated every time the camera’s power is turned on, the camera should be held
    upright for the dust reduction function to be effective.

So Pixel Mapping (in the K menu) is the only way to manually trigger the cleaning on demand other than turning the camera off and on again.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    +1

4/3 cameras did have a manual cleaning mode but that mode opened the shutter so the sensor could be cleaned on those cameras, something that doesn't need to be done on m4/3 cameras since the sensor is always accessible with the camera off (although the end-user should NOT clean the sensor themselves).

6. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    i thought i remember the EM5 had an option to activate the ultrasonic cleaner.

interesting that the manual states the camera needs to be upright for the (automatic) cleaning to be effective. ive picked up the practice of swapping lens with the body facing down to minimize settling dust.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My E-M5 only has manual pixel mapping, not sensor clean - a sparkly rectangle icon shows when this is in progress on power up.

This is recommended because the sensor cleaning process is generally designed to shake dusk off so it falls on a special dust collector at the bottom of the camera. This prevents dust from moving around and back on to the sensor at some point. If you point the camera straight down during the clean, the dust is most likely going to end up on the rear element of the lens.

I swap lenses with the camera off and facing somewhat downwards as well, but always remember to lift it to horizontal before turning it back on for the automatic sensor clean. The system works rather well - I once panicked when I noticed a big bit of fluff on the sensor during a lens change (I had the camera facing me on a table so could see the sensor), but after the automatic sensor clean it completely disappeared.

8. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Is there a specific reason why I can't clean the sensor on my camera? I do it when needed and never have I done any damage to the camera.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The official line from Olympus was that a) for the 5-axis IBIS bodies, you may damage the IBIS system as the sensor is mostly free-floating, and b) there's an anti-static coating which they need to re-apply after cleaning.

10. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    It is probably safe to clean one's sensor using an air blower, provided that the tip does not touch the sensor, but this will not assist with stuck dirt, only loose dust.

11. clbaker

clbaker Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    I had stuck dirt on the sensor of my E-PM1, I removed it with my sensor cleaning kit but I clearly smeared and got dust particles on other parts of the sensor. I thought I was going to need a professional cleaning but to my amazement after a few power ups the sensor looks brand new. Whatever technology they use, it clearly works even on the lower end models.

12. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I tried blowing on the sensor with a blower, then tried the pixel mapping function in setup, and that did the trick. cool. I thought my lens protector filter was dirty all this time.

13. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    I've actually been amazed by how well their system works. Olympus sensors have been the absolute cleanest of anything i've used that has a dust reduction system.

14. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    I've noticed a couple of small white and red spots (they're not big, and there's only a couple here and there), I haven't tried the pixel mapping yet, but did just read this: Ask Olympus: What is Pixel Mapping?

Come to think of it, it really is prevalent mainly when putting together HDR and I didn't know about the Noise Reduct.

There's no visible dust on the sensor but I did use an air blower (I was careful not to touch it) just to be sure.

My camera was only bought in December, is this all normal?

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is all normal as no sensor generally has 100% perfect pixels. Just do the pixel mapping & all should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Thanks for that. Glad I don't have a dud.