Does the EM-10 have an improved EVF over the EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dino8031, Feb 15, 2015.

1. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I was never wild about the EM-5's EVF. Is there any improvement in the EM-10?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No - they're the same. You need an E-M1, VF-4 or the new E-M5ii for a better EVF. However, the older EVF is perfectly functional.
  3. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    The resolution is the same, but i think that the refresh rate is faster so there is less lag. It also has a faster processor so if you are using digital filters then there will be even less lag.
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think the refresh rate is the same. The E-M5's optional high rate is 120hz, which is the same as the E-M10.
  5. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Beside a quick play I've not used an E-M5, But imagining resource said in their review:

Specifically, the Olympus E-M10 shares the same TruePic VII image processor from the E-M1, as well as the same in-camera RAW processing and adaptive brightness technology in the EVF. However, the E-M10 one-ups both the E-M5 and E-M1 with a faster display lag time in the EVF.

I can't confirm is this is true about the faster display lag time or not, but the E-M10 definitely has the adaptive brightness which I'm pretty sure that the E-M5 doesn't. Maybe someone who has both cameras can comment.
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    They look the same size:

I suspect that the refresh rate and lag time are not the same thing. You can have a 120Hz monitor and watch a 30 fps video.

From a few articles looks like E-M10 lag time is 0.027 seconds, was 0.032 for the E-P5 (P, non M). Instead the "refresh lag" would be closer to 1/120 = 0.008

I think lag time is related to how fast the image moves from the sensor to the EVF. Higher refresh rate usually gives less flickering. So they could both be 120 Hz and have different lag times.
  7. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    That would make sense to me.

The E-M10 has the faster TruePic VII processor, but the same resolution as the E-M5 therefore less lag??? It has the same TruePic VII processor as the E-M1, but less resolution therefore less lag???
  8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    In addition, the E-M10's EVF has a different viewpoint designed to make it easier to use for eyeglass wearers.
  9. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Can you explain what you mean by different viewpoint? I have pretty thick glasses myself. I tried a Fuji XT1 and while the EVF is impressively huge, I can't even see all of it because I can't place my eye directly in the viewfinder cup. Right now I'm stuck between EM10 and GX7. I haven't tried either in store yet, but which is more eyeglass-friendly? Another option is also the EM5 since it's usually $100 cheaper than the EM10 on eBay which I can use towards a lens.
  10. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012

I have the E-M5 and the E-M10. The resolution might be the same but the E-M10 EVF seems to give a clearer image because of the adaptive luminance (as it's called in the menu). You can turn that off if you wish. The E-M10 image feels more "natural", the E-M5 image feels slightly more "punchier" perhaps because of the lack of adaptive brightness. As for the eye cup that people mentioned, the E-M10 has a thicker, more protruding eye cup than the E-M5. It is more comfortable. I believe you can also get it as a replacement for the E-M5.

When I first got the E-M10, I noticed the EVF difference immediately. This was not a marketed feature, so that was a pleasant surprise. So overall, there is improvement but it's not a dramatic difference like with the E-M1 or E-M5 II EVF.

11. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I have both the GX7 and the E-M10 and wear glasses with progressive lenses. I much prefer the viewfinder of the E-M10. Also being left eyed the viewfinder on the E-M10 is in the center which places my nose off the back screen.