Does the EM-1 have a clear protector on the screen out-of-the-box?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KH74, Jul 2, 2015.

1. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    I have just received my new EM-1. First thing I noticed is that there was no clear protector on the screen. My previous Olympus cameras have had this. Is just something new, or does the EM-1 come with the clear protector? I am curious as my silver body has some scruff marks on it and want to make sure I have not received a display model.

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Yes, should have protective film on LCD.
  3. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Yes it does. Same as the E-M5
  4. weeman

weeman Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
  5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    I suspect that the camera you received was one that was returned or a display model. I would return it immediately and get a proper new one and not an open box, especially if you paid full price for a new one.

FWIW, both my E-M1 and E-M5 Mk.II had a protective film over the LCD monitor.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  6. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    None of the m4/3s cameras I've purchased (both Panasonic & Olympus NIB) came with a protective screen. I'm in the USA, FWIW.
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Mine came with a soft plastic protector (very soft flexible plastic) which had to be removed before use, it didn't come with a hard screen protector.
  8. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Thanks for the replies.

I suspected it was an ex-demo/display model due to the way it was packed in the box (card box interior crushed etc.), along with the scuff marks on the body. I contacted the online store I purchased the kit from and asked them if they had shipped me an open-box item by mistake; the customer service representative advised me to ship the item back for a replacement (I think he already knew it was not 'new'). I am sure it was their last silver model as they did not have silver on their website when I ordered, but they advised on the phone they did show one in stock if that was my preference. I have requested they ship a black replacement.

I have sent the camera back, and they have advised they will reimburse my shipping costs (just have to email the receipt to them). Hopefully I will get a replacement some time next week.
  9. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The presence of absence of a screen film aside, a new camera for sure does not come with scuffs.
  10. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    The unavoidable price to pay for "liberal return policies".
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    How the heck does someone scuff up a camera within the return time frame?!
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Scotch-Brite will do the trick nicely.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    The company shipped me a replacement today via overnight courier so I should have it tomorrow afternoon. The replacement body will be black.

Although the online store has a number of retail outlets, I doubt it was a return (we don't have the return policies in Australia that other countries have), but I do believe that it was a demo or display model, which the staff were aware of (due to the nature of conversation I had with staff after I received the item).
  14. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    A final comment on this thread. I just received the replacement body. The other body definitely was a demo (or similar). The replacement has the complete box, screen protector on screen (which will be removed for proper protector), and all the cables and warranty card (which the other model did not have).

I have just put the battery on charge, so I get to set it up in around three hours. Happy with the end result, and after seeing the black body in person, definitely prefer it to the silver for the EM-1 (however still prefer silver on the E-M5 I & II).

Thanks again for all the replies.
    • Like Like x 1