Does the E-P5 disable Lens OIS?

FlyPenFly

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the Panasonic 12-32mm which has Lens OIS which there is no switch to turn off.

I would rather use the EP5's IBIS. However, if I keep IBIS on, is it also keeping the Lens OIS on?

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
EP5 has only "Use lens OIS priority" configurable in menu. So it's either OIS or OIS+IBIS in your case.

FlyPenFly

Mu-43 Veteran
Right, but it's unclear if that option disables Lens OIS or not when you select No.

FlyPenFly

Mu-43 Veteran
949436.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

FlyPenFly

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd prefer to get a definitive answer.

It seems like from some googling that the E-P5 and E-M5 are smart enough to know that a lens has OIS and turns it off if your IBIS is on.

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'd prefer to get a definitive answer.

It seems like from some googling that the E-P5 and E-M5 are smart enough to know that a lens has OIS and turns it off if your IBIS is on.
This is what manual says:
If [On] is selected, priority is given to the lens function
operation when using a lens with an image stabilization
function.
My guess is that OFF reads "no priority" to OIS, rather than disabling it. But I wonder how this can be proven and if there are any IQ consequences for having IBIS and OIS working together..

Real Name
Nic
On the E-M5 you can tell if both the IBIS and OIS are engaged at the same time because they will "fight" each other and the stabilised live view preview will jerk a little as you move the camera around. I only have Panasonic OIS lenses that have a physical switch but when I use them on my newer E-P5 it will not allow the two IS systems to be active at the same time. As soon as the lens IS switch is set to on the IBIS deactivates. I would think (hope) that the E-P5 is also smart enough not to simultaneously run both IS systems with Panasonic lenses that don't have a physical IS switch

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I would think (hope) that the E-P5 is also smart enough not to simultaneously run both IS systems with Panasonic lenses that don't have a physical IS switch

That's correct. The only way that you can enable OIS on a lens without a physical switch is to do so from the camera body. In the case of the E-P5, that means setting Lens I.S. Priority to 'On' and enabling IS in the Super Control Panel. If you have a lens with a physical switch, the setting there overrides the 'Lens I.S. Priority' setting. So if the OIS switch is on, you get OIS, otherwise you get IBIS or no IS depending on the camera's IS setting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom