Does the E-M5 Mark III have a plastic feel?

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm just curious. I haven't seen one in person. I keep reading the same thing on different websites.
Does it bother you? The previous E-M5s have felt good.
I really wanted the E-M5 Mark III, but now I'm undecided because of that and the price. haha.
Do you have one? Can you post your own mini review?

Trinurse

Mu-43 Regular
I did n't know it was plastic until I read it in a review. Had no idea.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
i thought it did. I think EM1 and EM5II feel more solid and dense.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm just curious. I haven't seen one in person. I keep reading the same thing on different websites.
Does it bother you? The previous E-M5s have felt good.
I really wanted the E-M5 Mark III, but now I'm undecided because of that and the price. haha.
Do you have one? Can you post your own mini review?
You are in LA, so you have moderate temp.
In more widely varying temp, the temp of a metal body, hot or cold, can be quite bothersome, even unpleasant.
A plastic/composite body would not have the temp variation that a metal body does.

Example1, I was at my brother-in-laws place, where the ambient/air temp was about 110F. The metal tools, in the shade, were too hot to hold with bare hands. I could not hold the tools without gloves.
Example2, When I use my aluminum monopod at below 50F, if I grab it bare handed, it just sucks the heat out of my hand.

memzinla

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmm! I never thought about the temperature. I’m never in extreme weather. The hottest place I go to is Vegas, and I’m not outdoors much.

I can’t wait to try one in person. :)

Real Name
[email protected]
I had the MkII and now have the MkIII. I can tell the III is not metal, but it's not cheap feeling. I really like the camera so far.

I do really think using polycarbonate should have brought the price down a bit. Polycarbonate framed handguns cost less than milled metal because it's easier to make and the material itself is probably less expensive. Polycarbonate is a tough material, so I don't have any misgivings about durability.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I'm close to buying one - possibly today - and having played around with a few in-store, yes, I can tell it's not metal. Though I think it's a feeling of "it's a little less dense" than outright "it feels like plastic". However, one area it might influence me is in the colour - I suspect the black will stand up/hide marks better than the silver. If it was metal I probably wouldn't care.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I have E-M5 and E-M5III. There are small differences how the camera feels when you touch it but the thing is that you don't normally touch those areas anyway. So it doesn't matter if those parts were plastic, aluminum or even iron. Your fingers hardly ever touch them so does it really matter? I couldn't care less what those parts are made of as long as they keep the camera together and won't be acting like a magnet to scratches.

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
I have had a new E-M5III for about a week, coming from an E-M10I and E-M10II background. All I can say is that I LOVE the feeling of the E-M5III because of the improved grip. I have always disliked the E-M10 models because the grip was too small, even for someone like myself with small hands. The E-M5III fixes this problem beautifully, IMHO. I mean, the grip is MUCH better, enough that it makes you wonder why they didn't do this to the earlier E-M5 and E-M10 models all along.

As Pake says, you don't touch the non-metal areas anyway, and just holding the camera, it doesn't feel hollow or cheap or plasticy at all, IMHO.

Edit: I think that m43 cameras in general are less prone to that plasticy feel than larger-body cameras like DSLRs. For example, a Canon T5i feels MUCH more plasticy and hollow than the E-M5III. Even the Canon SL2, similar in weight to the E-M5III, feels more plasticy and hollow, because of its fatter grip. The grip on the E-M5III hits the sweet spot for being enough to give a good grip without running into that hollow feeling, IMHO.

Last edited:

re-note

Mu-43 Regular
I have the E-M5III since early December 2019.
The first lens I mounted was a Tamron 4,5/70-350 that weighs 2kg.
The lens mount and body showed no ill effect after a two hours use handheld, otherwise I would have returned the camera.
The heating up, when taking pictures without a break, this long, seems less severe than with M5I or M5II.
I suppose my E-M5III will last the few years till we get a successor.
The quality of my images, always, is my first concern and as the camera is not made of bakelite I cannot be troubled by the kind of durable plastic material it is made of.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I tried one today at Samy's Camera; Had my E-M1 mk1 in hand as I also was there to try the 12-100Pro...

It's definitely light like plastic, but I didn't really notice a difference in finish, etc. Not that I was really looking for one, had other things on my mind...

I tried the 12-100 on it as well as my E-M1; didn't like it on the E-M5, but did like it on the E-M1.

Also tried a Pen-F with a 12-40; the 5 is more comfortable for my hand.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Does it really matter if it takes great pictures...?
Personally i think most important things with a camera is that its fun to use and that it "speaks to me" (look and feel of the camera)...so yes for some the build and feel of the camera is verry important.

Yes the E-M5 MarkIII feels little pasticy compared to magnesium alloy bodies, but its solid and well built

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I've personally never been too bothered by plastic-y feel, but I hate when the feel hollow. It was probably the main reason why I picked a Nikon D70 over the original Canon Digital Rebel 16 years ago. They were both around $999, but the Rebel just felt CHEAP.

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
I have had a new E-M5III for about a week, coming from an E-M10I and E-M10II background. All I can say is that I LOVE the feeling of the E-M5III because of the improved grip. I have always disliked the E-M10 models because the grip was too small, even for someone like myself with small hands. The E-M5III fixes this problem beautifully, IMHO. I mean, the grip is MUCH better, enough that it makes you wonder why they didn't do this to the earlier E-M5 and E-M10 models all along.

As Pake says, you don't touch the non-metal areas anyway, and just holding the camera, it doesn't feel hollow or cheap or plasticy at all, IMHO.

Edit: I think that m43 cameras in general are less prone to that plasticy feel than larger-body cameras like DSLRs. For example, a Canon T5i feels MUCH more plasticy and hollow than the E-M5III. Even the Canon SL2, similar in weight to the E-M5III, feels more plasticy and hollow, because of its fatter grip. The grip on the E-M5III hits the sweet spot for being enough to give a good grip without running into that hollow feeling, IMHO.
That is true. The polycarbonate used in the Canon cameras in particular feels very hollow and plasticky. Like they were desperate to shave weight off their cameras. And the (non pro) Canon lenses feel very light and plasticky.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
After two weeks of owning one, it doesn't feel cheap. Even with the tiny 12-32 on it, I don't notice the plastic build now. And with a lens like the 75mm or Noc, it feels and looks distinctly premium.

But these things are intensely personal, so don't buy this camera unless you've held/used one, both on the build front, and ergonomic front.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

ata3001

Mu-43 Regular
My connection with my camera is as important to me as is capturing the image itself, regardless of how good the images are. It's all part of the photographic process for me. I use a digital Pen F which, for its size, has an extremely solid feel. No plastic feel with this camera. It does matter to me, but that's purely a personal feeling. I've only ever owned 1 other plastic bodies camera, a Nikon D610 which made great images, but I never warmed up to the polycarbonate body. I've owned half a dozen Nikon pro bodies as well as about a half dozen Leica M cameras in the past. I just don't care for the feel of polycarbonate cameras.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom