1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does the E-M1 make the PL25 rattlesnake?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jtibau, Nov 25, 2013.

1. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    I have a GX1 which I'm currently using with a PL25. I'm considering purchasing the E-M1 but I'm uncertain how it will perform with that lens. I'm afraid it will exhibit the rattlesnaking issue that some people have referred to with some olympus bodies.

Unfortunately, where I live, there is absolutely no chance for me to test the setup before a purchase. I'm counting on my brother to bring the camera during the holidays.

I'm sure someone here must have tried the combination but I cannot find any comments on the forum. Maybe that's a good thing :)

2. Andre

Andre Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2013
    Southern California
    Yes, but usually only in certain cases, like if your metering spot is straddling or moving back and forth between an extreme dark and light spot. It doesn't really bother me that much as it doesn't happen for me all that often.

3. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    Fair enough. Thanks for your help.

4. mcentral

mcentral Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    I can't help you with that exact pairing but I did recently switch from a GX1 to an EPL5 and PL25. At first I heard only occasional minor rattling that didn't seem too weird. But then, sort of out of the blue, pretty extreme rattlesnaking. Loud. Not something I would want to put up with. Pretty quickly found the thread on dpReview and the winning solution was to turn off flicker reduction. Worked like a charm for me on the EPL5, and supposedly does likewise for the EM5. So maybe the EM1 as well?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3192081?page=4

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    same here pretty rare and same situations

6. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    Thought I'd comment that I did end up getting the E-M1. My first test with the PL25 was very disappointing. Only now, 2 days after enduring it, I remembered your recommendation. It seems that it fixed the issue! I still hear a sound but it's similar to how/when it sounds on my GX1 while focusing. Overall I'm very happy with the combo :)

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Where is this setting exactly? I haven't noticed it on the E-M5

8. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    It's on The Custom Menu, D section, on that section's second page. It reads flicker reduction which I set to off.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hmm, thanks, but it's not there on my E-M5 (latest firmware). Maybe this is only for newer bodies...

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You know, I bought a 12-35 this summer and it spent the first few weeks of its life on my E-M5; and I never heard it rattlesnake once. I then did a trip and in an attempt to travel light, I took just my E-PL5 and the 12-35; got some great shots, but I also got a bad case of rattlesnaking.

After reading this thread, I put the 12-35 back onto the E-PL5 and instantly got the rattlesnaking - the lighting was compact fluorescent bulbs. I then changed the flicker reduction to off and bingo - no more rattlesnaking (and no obvious flicker either).

I looked for the flicker reduction option on my E-M5 and as others have found, it's not there. I guess that the flicker reduction is a later feature that is not on the E-M5. The fact that it doesn't rattlesnake with my 12-35 sort of confirms this too.

11. jtibau

jtibau Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Javier Tibau
    Now that I think about it... I was testing my camera/lens indoors with no artificial lights. I did notice that it got noisy while switching from focusing indoors and then out the window. It seemed to me like it didn't like the huge change in amount of light.

12. mingus

mingus New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2013
    SW of Chicago, Illinois
    Mike
    On my EP-3 this lens makes an unpleasant clattering noise -- the so called rattlesnake I assume -- which is very disconcerting, as I'm not sure what is going on inside. I love the lens, I hate the noise.

My recently arrived EM-1 is quiet, no problems at all, even walking around in snow scenes with very bright sunshine.

13. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    It is the aperture blades opening and closing to deal with varying brightness of light sources. It happens on the EM5 as well as the EM1, I think I have reduce flicker on but I still get rattlesnaking from this lens. Its harmless really, the aperture blades on the 25/1.4 are just oddly loud.