1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Does the current E-P2 come with new or old 14-42mm lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by andrewteee, Jun 8, 2011.

1. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Does the current E-P2 come with the new or older 14-42mm? Depending on if you get new or old stock of course. Any way to find out?

2. dcm1024

dcm1024 New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2011
    From the photos I've seen, the "II" is not indicated so I believe it is the old lens.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, the E-P2 only comes with the original m.Zuiko 14-42mm. In fact, it comes with the very original lens, with the metal mount. This is nicer than the plastic-mount version that was later released on the E-PL1. However, it is not the quiet focusing Mark II version with the bayonet thread that comes with the E-PL1s (only sold in Japan) and the E-PL2.

4. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    If the main difference is the "quietness" then it does not concern me.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Then you'll be happy with the original metal-mount lens. :) It's more stylish than the new lens, but it has a rotating front element which is clunkier and not as smooth to move as the new version. Being a rotating element means that polarizing filters are not as easy to use, and a petal-style or square lens hood can't be mounted (although there are a myriad of rangefinder hoods available for the 40.5mm filter thread of the original lens). I sold my original 14-42mm but kept the Mark II only because I have no use for a slow kit lens except for its MSC video capabilities (the quietness of the Mark II). I actually preferred the original lens though for looks and style. Performance of the two lenses besides the internal focus is nearly identical - that's why I keep mentioning style and looks, because there's really not much else to compare. ;)

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The new version focuses significantly more quickly than the old. It also seems to be more durable and a bit sharper. The downside is that unless you get it as part of the E-PL2 kit, you'll pay a hefty premium .

7. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    It's all about the style isn't it :wink:

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The older edition also has a closer minimum focus distance, that maybe an issue depending on your requirements. The metal mount is definitely better built then the plastic mount of the MKI edition with the e-pl1 or the MKII with the e-pl2. I personally have issues with plastic mounts...to me it seems that they will wear out or break depending on your situation and usage. The MKII is definitely a better supported lens with hood, and 3 lens adapters ( macro, fisheye, and wide angle) available.