Does the current E-P2 come with new or old 14-42mm lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by andrewteee, Jun 8, 2011.

1. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    Does the current E-P2 come with the new or older 14-42mm? Depending on if you get new or old stock of course. Any way to find out?

2. dcm1024

dcm1024 New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2011
    From the photos I've seen, the "II" is not indicated so I believe it is the old lens.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, the E-P2 only comes with the original m.Zuiko 14-42mm. In fact, it comes with the very original lens, with the metal mount. This is nicer than the plastic-mount version that was later released on the E-PL1. However, it is not the quiet focusing Mark II version with the bayonet thread that comes with the E-PL1s (only sold in Japan) and the E-PL2.

4. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    If the main difference is the "quietness" then it does not concern me.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Then you'll be happy with the original metal-mount lens. :) It's more stylish than the new lens, but it has a rotating front element which is clunkier and not as smooth to move as the new version. Being a rotating element means that polarizing filters are not as easy to use, and a petal-style or square lens hood can't be mounted (although there are a myriad of rangefinder hoods available for the 40.5mm filter thread of the original lens). I sold my original 14-42mm but kept the Mark II only because I have no use for a slow kit lens except for its MSC video capabilities (the quietness of the Mark II). I actually preferred the original lens though for looks and style. Performance of the two lenses besides the internal focus is nearly identical - that's why I keep mentioning style and looks, because there's really not much else to compare. ;)

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The new version focuses significantly more quickly than the old. It also seems to be more durable and a bit sharper. The downside is that unless you get it as part of the E-PL2 kit, you'll pay a hefty premium .

7. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    It's all about the style isn't it :wink:

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The older edition also has a closer minimum focus distance, that maybe an issue depending on your requirements. The metal mount is definitely better built then the plastic mount of the MKI edition with the e-pl1 or the MKII with the e-pl2. I personally have issues with plastic mounts...to me it seems that they will wear out or break depending on your situation and usage. The MKII is definitely a better supported lens with hood, and 3 lens adapters ( macro, fisheye, and wide angle) available.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.