1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Does the black OM-D look weird with a silver lense on it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ryanlogic, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Does the black OM-D look weird with a silver lense on it? Specifically the 45mm f1.8

Can someone post or point to pictures?

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You can find images with a SIMPLE Google image search, like I found these:

IMG_2746.
    omd_flash.
    omdye12.
    45mm-on-e-m5_med.
    [​IMG]

It all depends though if the lens is chrome, or a plastically gray look. Even some silver lenses look bad on the silver body, like the 17mm. It all depends on YOUR esthetics.

3. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    looks good! how are you liking your omd?

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

More importantly... does the silver on black combo take the same great pictures? :p

5. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Thanks, I think those lenses look fine on the black body.

SIMPLE google searches are not nearly as simple from a mobile phone. I guess I could have waited to find out untill I went home, but I just thought I'd ask. You didn't have to look up images or answer if you were annoyed by my question. Either way, thanks for the tip.

6. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I don't know, I should be here on Thursday if there are no delays!

7. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Lol, I'm sure it does!

8. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Hi

I very much like the silver lenses on the black body.

Berni

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Congrats! So you finally decided on the E-M5 after much deliberation... Enjoy your new gear when they arrive, and share lots of photos!

10. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I will do my best to share as much as possible.

11. Barb

Barb Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I don't consider a camera or a lens a fashion accessory, I see it as a photo/artistic tool. But that's just me...

12. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Which is why after drooling over the silver one, I jumped for the black... It seemed more subtle and "down to business."

I do however suffer from being artistic and obsessive compulsive. Forgive me for wanting things to match, or at least look good together.

Conditions and artistic freedom aside, consider this scenario:

You go to the store, try on a bunch of shoes..... you find a pair that fits perfect and meets all your needs. It comes in two colors, and both colors are the same price. You like both colors, however, you've had your eyes on a pair of laces that allow you to fly like superman. They only come in one specific color... Are you telling me you wouldn't make sure the shoes you bought were gonna look good with the laces you want? After all, your going to be flying around like superman for everyone to see while wearing them. Get real, you would definitely make sure they matched.

I mean I could say: I don't think of shoes as a fashion accessory, I just see them as a tool to keep my feet safe from environmental hazards while I fly around with my magic shoelaces. But that's just me...

But that would make me seem like I was looking down on you for wanting your shoes to match... Even more, it may seem like I thought you had merely chosen those laces because you liked the color of the shoes that matched them... Never mind the fact that you actually really wanted the laces because they allowed you to fly around like superman!

Is there something wrong with wanting my camera to match a lens I really want to buy in the future? I suppose I should force myself to pick the ugliest combination I can think of so no one criticizes me for it... But wait, then someone else would come along and criticize my fashion sense or my artistic ability... Since I can't win, I should just go ahead and kill myself now before anyone else doesn't like what I'm doing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. It could be said that a lot of questions asked here could be answered by a google search but mu-43 is a community, not a search engine. Questions are encouraged, not frowned upon.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    ryanlogic:been thinking the same thing...still haven't bought the em-5 though i really want one.Mulling it over and over... Ofcourse its unavailable everywhere! Black or silver? Though the lenses i think will look fine on either. Confused.. buy or not to buy

15. lyleberman

lyleberman New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2012
    I have a black omd and the silver Olympus 45mm . I ended up taking off the black front trim piece from my 14-42mm kit lens and putting it on the 45. I think it looks less weird now.

Attached Files:

16. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  17. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I was really glad to read this. Whether I stick with my black Panny bodies or switch to the E-M5 (or later body) at some point, I prefer to have black lenses. In particular, the silver plastic bothers me.

Really, though, the lack of matching between Oly's silver bodies and lenses bugs me. I understand plastic vs. metal, but even the plastics haven't matched each other. :confused:

18. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Yea I read that yesterday too! I'm hoping they do because by that time I will probably be getting a new lens.

I like the metal Olympus 12mm but the plastic 45mm is pretty ugly (it is plastic right?)

I'm assuming the 75 will be metal. at that price it should be... Does anyone know?

If Olympus made a selection of primes that were completely metal, and black....that had that snap back manual focus ring like the 12mm.... I'd probably go into debt buying them all.

19. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    YES:sorry:

20. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Haha, what are you appologizing for?